* [ath9k-devel] ad-hoc mode
@ 2010-05-05  1:34 LIGEO_GEORGE at denso-diam.com
From: LIGEO_GEORGE at denso-diam.com @ 2010-05-05  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi fellas,

I'm trying to get ad-hoc mode working with ath9k driver on AR9220
chipsets.

Question is - Can I just use iwconfig to set mode to ad-hoc, set essid and
set frequency and then hope to get ad-hoc connectivity between two AR9220
chips using the ath9k driver? Or do I need to configure something else
too? hostapd maybe?

When I try the above, I can get the individual cards to go to ad-hoc mode,
but they don't see each other - not sure whats going on here..

I'm using the latest Ubuntu release 10.04 with the 2.6.32 kernel and the
default ath9k driver that came with the release.

Although I did see references about work going on with 11n support in
ad-hoc mode in the mailing list, I'm not sure about the current state of
development. Can I download the latest ath9k driver and get ad-hoc working
with 11n support or will the driver that came with Ubuntu 10.04 release
have support for 11n with ad-hoc?

Appreciate any pointers.

Thank you

- Lig
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [ath9k-devel]  ad-hoc mode
@ 2010-05-05 18:07 ` LIGEO_GEORGE at denso-diam.com
From: LIGEO_GEORGE at denso-diam.com @ 2010-05-05 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

After going through older posts - I found this one
https://lists.ath9k.org/pipermail/ath9k-devel/2009-December/002808.html

I use the config script in that post and can get the ad-hoc mode to work -
the main reason why I think it didn't work earlier for me was that I
didn't specify the fixed BSSID/cell number at both ends.

But, I observe the exact same behavior as reported by the post - if I
change the frequency to 2412, pings stop working in ad-hoc mode. Even if I
re-insert the ath9k, it seem like the new frequency I set (2412) doesn't
work. If I go back to the 5200 frequency after re-inserting ath9k module,
pings start working again. Again, like the post stated, when I set 2412
using iw, I still see the old 5200 frequency in iwconfig.

hm...

@ 2010-05-05 21:02   ` Benoit Papillault
From: Benoit Papillault @ 2010-05-05 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Le 05/05/2010 20:07, LIGEO_GEORGE at denso-diam.com a ?crit :

> After going through older posts - I found this one
> https://lists.ath9k.org/pipermail/ath9k-devel/2009-December/002808.html
>
> I use the config script in that post and can get the ad-hoc mode to work
> - the main reason why I think it didn't work earlier for me was that I
> didn't specify the fixed BSSID/cell number at both ends.
>
> But, I observe the exact same behavior as reported by the post - if I
> change the frequency to 2412, pings stop working in ad-hoc mode. Even if
> I re-insert the ath9k, it seem like the new frequency I set (2412)
> doesn't work. If I go back to the 5200 frequency after re-inserting
> ath9k module, pings start working again. Again, like the post stated,
> when I set 2412 using iw, I still see the old 5200 frequency in iwconfig.
>
> hm...

You don't need to use a fixed frequency, nor fixed BSSID. Just use :

iw dev wlan0 ibss join YourSSIID YourFrequency

YourFrequency is only used if scanning did not find a neighbor node.

Regards,
Benoit

* [ath9k-devel] ad-hoc mode
@ 2010-05-05 21:24     ` LIGEO_GEORGE at denso-diam.com
From: LIGEO_GEORGE at denso-diam.com @ 2010-05-05 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Ok. Thanks. I will try that.

Reading an earlier post,
https://lists.ath9k.org/pipermail/ath9k-devel/2009-November/002670.html ,
I thought there was a problem with IBSS mode, but maybe its fixed now or I
probably have an older driver..

To reiterate an earlier question, does the current driver in git support
11N in ad-hoc mode? I haven't been able to figure out the current status
of 11N + IBSS development from the mailing list. Please let me know.
Thanks!

- Lig

@ 2010-05-06  5:40       ` Benoit Papillault
From: Benoit Papillault @ 2010-05-06  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Le 05/05/2010 23:24, LIGEO_GEORGE at denso-diam.com a ?crit :

> Ok. Thanks. I will try that.
>
> Reading an earlier post,
> https://lists.ath9k.org/pipermail/ath9k-devel/2009-November/002670.html
> , I thought there was a problem with IBSS mode, but maybe its fixed now
> or I probably have an older driver..
> <https://lists.ath9k.org/pipermail/ath9k-devel/2009-November/002670.html>
>
> To reiterate an earlier question, does the current driver in git support
> 11N in ad-hoc mode? I haven't been able to figure out the current status
> of 11N + IBSS development from the mailing list. Please let me know.
> Thanks!
>

> - Lig

HT IBSS (ie 802.11n + IBSS) is currently work in progress. I just posted
patches on linux-wireless list.

Regards,
Benoit

* [ath9k-devel] ad-hoc mode
@ 2014-07-07  0:21 mahaveer gupta
From: mahaveer gupta @ 2014-07-07  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello,

I am trying to do some experiments with a few devices in the ad-hoc mode.

However, I observe that after a while, the connectivity drops abruptly and
the only way to restore it seems to be reloading the driver.

The node on which the connectivity has dropped sends out ARP requests when
I try to ping another node. The other node promptly responds with ARP
reply. However, the first node doesn't seem to be getting it.

A look into the dmesg logs shows that the first node has destroyed all the
stations with

wlan2: Destroyed STA xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
and
wlan2: Removed STA xX:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

messages in the log.

However, the disconnected node has appropriate cell-d and ip addresses, not
quite sure what is going wrong

Could someone please point out what could be potentially happening.