* [Xenomai-core] ESA SOCIS initiative
@ 2011-07-12  7:20 julien.delange
From: julien.delange @ 2011-07-12  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Dear all,

The European Space Agency started a program called SOCIS. It aims at
supporting free-software projects by providing funds to students that are
willing to contribute to free-software projects. It works like the summer
of code : mentoring organization subscribe to the program and propose
projects. Then, the SOCIS committee selects the projects that are
accepted. Finally, students apply to the selected projects, the mentoring
organization choose the students for each project and the student has to
complete the project in some weeks. Finally, if the projects is
successfully finished, the student receives money. It is a nice way to
improve free software and help some student !

As a Xenomai user, I was wondering if the project would like to apply to
SOCIS. I think Xenomai developers may have several ideas of projects for
students. I contacted Gilles Chanteperdrix to inform him about the
initiative, he told me to post on this list because more people could be
interested.

You can have more information about the program on
http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/?q=about . Subscription deadline is
next Friday so that if you want to apply, you have to do that quickly. If
you have any question regarding the program, do not hesitate to post on
the SOCIS mailing list or to contact me.

Best regards,

* Re: [Xenomai-core] ESA SOCIS initiative
@ 2011-07-12  8:49 ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2011-07-12  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: julien.delange; +Cc: xenomai

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 09:20 +0200, julien.delange@domain.hid wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> The European Space Agency started a program called SOCIS. It aims at
> supporting free-software projects by providing funds to students that are
> willing to contribute to free-software projects. It works like the summer
> of code : mentoring organization subscribe to the program and propose
> projects. Then, the SOCIS committee selects the projects that are
> accepted. Finally, students apply to the selected projects, the mentoring
> organization choose the students for each project and the student has to
> complete the project in some weeks. Finally, if the projects is
> successfully finished, the student receives money. It is a nice way to
> improve free software and help some student !
>
> As a Xenomai user, I was wondering if the project would like to apply to
> SOCIS. I think Xenomai developers may have several ideas of projects for
> students. I contacted Gilles Chanteperdrix to inform him about the
> initiative, he told me to post on this list because more people could be
> interested.
>
> You can have more information about the program on
> http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/?q=about . Subscription deadline is
> next Friday so that if you want to apply, you have to do that quickly. If
> you have any question regarding the program, do not hesitate to post on
> the SOCIS mailing list or to contact me.

This is interesting, and the ESA running this program makes the latter
even more attractive.

However, the tasks of a mentoring organization proposing a project
described here http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2011/faq seem way too
heavy for us, especially in the short term. Things we commit to do
should be done right, and unless I'm mistaken, I'm unsure anyone from
the core team would be able to dedicate the required workload to handle
this task properly.

I would welcome any suggestion to make this possible nevertheless,
because there is no shortage of interesting stuff that remains to be
done on the Xenomai code base.

Thanks fro suggesting this anyway.

> Best regards,

Philippe.