* cboxes on NehalemEX
@ 2012-11-16 14:46 Animesh K Trivedi1
From: Animesh K Trivedi1 @ 2012-11-16 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users; +Cc: Bernard Metzler

Hi all,

I'm testing/using uncore support on a dual socket NehalemEX (Xeon E7520)
box on 3.7-rc1.
It shows me only 4 CBOXes under devices. Although the document (Uncore
programming
for 7500) says that there should be 8 CBOXes. Am I missing something?

Also, I have a dual socket configuration, in which I assume each processor
has its own set of
CBOXes. How are number of CBOXes related to number of physical processors?
In order to
get a global view of LLC behaviour shouldn't I have to sum up the count of
events from all
physical processor's CBOXes.

Animesh

* Re: cboxes on NehalemEX
@ 2012-11-28 20:33 ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2012-11-28 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Animesh K Trivedi1; +Cc: linux-perf-users, Bernard Metzler

Animesh K Trivedi1 <ZRLATR@ch.ibm.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm testing/using uncore support on a dual socket NehalemEX (Xeon E7520)
> box on 3.7-rc1.
> It shows me only 4 CBOXes under devices. Although the document (Uncore
> programming
> for 7500) says that there should be 8 CBOXes. Am I missing something?

The number of CBOXes depends on the number of CPU cores in the socket.
Each core has a CBOX.  You would only see 8 on a 8 core CPU.

> get a global view of LLC behaviour shouldn't I have to sum up the count of
> events from all
> physical processor's CBOXes.

Yes. Each BOX has its own counters.

-Andi

--
ak@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only

* Re: cboxes on NehalemEX
@ 2012-11-29  9:15   ` Animesh K Trivedi1
From: Animesh K Trivedi1 @ 2012-11-29  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen; +Cc: Bernard Metzler, linux-perf-users

Hi Andi,

Thanks for the reply. E7520 have 4 cores (and 8 threads, though I assume
that is irrelevant) but in a dual-socket configuration shouldn't I see
total of 8 CBoxes? 4 CBoxes for each E7520 processor ?

Cheers,
--
Animesh

<BMT@zurich.ibm.com>