* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #8: triaging proposal
@ 2014-04-13 19:43 Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-04-13 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all,

This is the first part of patchwork cleanup session #8. This session
holds a limited number of patches (12) due to time constraints on my
side. I hope to start a new session soon (which can run in parallel to
this one).

Quick recap:
- in this mail, a decision for a number of patches (exact number can
vary) is already proposed. Buildroot developers should provide
feedback stating their agreement/disagreement with this proposed
decision.

- patches are triaged into four categories:
    A. We want this patch and someone should refresh and resend it.
    B. We don't want this patch as it goes against Buildroot principles.
    C. We're not sure and want to know if the submitter is still
interested in pursuing this patch.
    D. We accept the problem that the patch is fixing, but the patch
can't be integrated in its current state. More work is needed, for
example on the core buildroot infrastructure. Therefore, the patch
will be added to the buildroot TODO list.

- after the brief agreement/disagreement phase, patch submitters are
notified and get two weeks to provide feedback and/or fight the
decision. Patchwork is already updated at the beginning of these two
weeks, but closed patches can always be reopened.

- during this two week cool-off period, new cleanup sessions can already start.

Triage proposal for this session:

[RFC,5/7] python-linaro-dashboard-bundle: new package
ludovic.desroches at atmel.com
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/282728

[RFC,6/7] lava-tool: new package
ludovic.desroches at atmel.com
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/282729

[RFC,7/7] lava-test: new package
ludovic.desroches at atmel.com
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/282730

Proposal: A, keep (all three patches)

package/makedevs: add "l" type for symlinks ownership change
angelo dureghello <angelo70@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/283015

Proposal: C unsure: what is the reason for this patch?

[v9] espeak: new package
Arnaud Aujon <arnaud.aujon@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/284229

python-sip: new package
Sergey Kostanbaev <sergey.kostanbaev@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/284873

python-pyqt: new package
Sergey Kostanbaev <sergey.kostanbaev@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/284874

Proposal: A keep (above three patches)

[RFC,1/2] host-xxd: new package
Ryan Barnett <rjbarnet@rockwellcollins.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/285936

[RFC,2/2] uboot: introduce u-boot.pbl format
Ryan Barnett <rjbarnet@rockwellcollins.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/285937

Although the patch on uboot is quite large, my general feeling is to
triage this in A: keep.

[1/3] ccache: change compilercheck to use compiler and toolchain info
Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287383

[2/3] ccache: change default cache directory path to match config setting
Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287384

[3/3] ccache: provide capability to do initial ccache setup
Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287385

Proposal for the above 3: D more work needed. Looking at Arnout's
comments on the first patch, this needs to be thought through, and a
final solution is to be implemented. I really think we should improve
ccache in buildroot, though, so I hope a proper solution can be found.

Thanks for your feedback,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #8: triaging proposal
@ 2014-04-13 19:48 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-04-13 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 21:43:20 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

> Triage proposal for this session:
>
> [RFC,5/7] python-linaro-dashboard-bundle: new package
> ludovic.desroches at atmel.com
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/282728
>
> [RFC,6/7] lava-tool: new package
> ludovic.desroches at atmel.com
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/282729
>
> [RFC,7/7] lava-test: new package
> ludovic.desroches at atmel.com
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/282730
>
> Proposal: A, keep (all three patches)

For these ones, I've seen your e-mail sent to Ludovic. I'd prefer these
patches to be removed from patchwork, and the original submitter asked
to rework them using the python-package infrastructure, and also to
submit them in a form that is not RFC.

> package/makedevs: add "l" type for symlinks ownership change
> angelo dureghello <angelo70@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/283015
>
> Proposal: C unsure: what is the reason for this patch?

I don't remember. To be asked to the submitter?

> [v9] espeak: new package
> Arnaud Aujon <arnaud.aujon@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/284229

Last time I looked, I believe this patch was almost ready. And Arnaud
Aujon is still around.

> python-sip: new package
> Sergey Kostanbaev <sergey.kostanbaev@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/284873
>
> python-pyqt: new package
> Sergey Kostanbaev <sergey.kostanbaev@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/284874
>
> Proposal: A keep (above three patches)

Yeah, I believe python-pyqt is quite important, so it would be good to
keep it around. But those patches need some work. Maybe we need someone
interested in adopting those patches?

> [RFC,1/2] host-xxd: new package
> Ryan Barnett <rjbarnet@rockwellcollins.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/285936
>
> [RFC,2/2] uboot: introduce u-boot.pbl format
> Ryan Barnett <rjbarnet@rockwellcollins.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/285937
>
> Although the patch on uboot is quite large, my general feeling is to
> triage this in A: keep.

I know Ryan is still working on these.

> [1/3] ccache: change compilercheck to use compiler and toolchain info
> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287383
>
> [2/3] ccache: change default cache directory path to match config setting
> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287384
>
> [3/3] ccache: provide capability to do initial ccache setup
> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287385
>
> Proposal for the above 3: D more work needed. Looking at Arnout's
> comments on the first patch, this needs to be thought through, and a
> final solution is to be implemented. I really think we should improve
> ccache in buildroot, though, so I hope a proper solution can be found.

Agreed.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #8: triaging proposal
@ 2014-04-14  1:02 ` Danomi Manchego
From: Danomi Manchego @ 2014-04-14  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

All,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> [1/3] ccache: change compilercheck to use compiler and toolchain info
> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287383
>
> [2/3] ccache: change default cache directory path to match config setting
> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287384
>
> [3/3] ccache: provide capability to do initial ccache setup
> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/287385
>
> Proposal for the above 3: D more work needed. Looking at Arnout's
> comments on the first patch, this needs to be thought through, and a
> final solution is to be implemented. I really think we should improve
> ccache in buildroot, though, so I hope a proper solution can be found.

I believe that Arnout's comments are in regards to the first patch
only.  The second and third patches are actually independent of the
first patch, and each other.  So they can be accepted or rejected on
their own merits.

Regardless - I've taken the first patch as far as I can, and don't
really have the bandwidth to rework it again.  So ... TODO list it is.

Danomi -

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #8: triaging proposal
@ 2014-04-15  0:08   ` Ryan Barnett
From: Ryan Barnett @ 2014-04-15  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas(es),

Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote on 04/13/2014
02:48:19 PM:

> > [RFC,1/2] host-xxd: new package
> > Ryan Barnett <rjbarnet@rockwellcollins.com>
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/285936
> >
> > [RFC,2/2] uboot: introduce u-boot.pbl format
> > Ryan Barnett <rjbarnet@rockwellcollins.com>
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/285937
> >
> > Although the patch on uboot is quite large, my general feeling is to
> > triage this in A: keep.
>
> I know Ryan is still working on these.

I can confirm this. Hopefully, over the next couple of weeks I can update
and finish this work.

Thanks,
-Ryan

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #8: triaging proposal
@ 2014-05-05  7:26 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-05-05  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Marcelo,

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Marcelo Gutierrez <kuyurix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

>> [v9] espeak: new package
>> Arnaud Aujon <arnaud.aujon@gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/284229
>

> I've tested this patch on Beaglebone Black, and works great. It would be
> interesting to install mbrola voices,  will offer a more realistic speech.
>
> http://espeak.sourceforge.net/mbrola.html

Could you add a proper 'Tested-by' tag on v10 of the espeak patch?
This helps the maintainer in assessing which patches are good to be integrated.

See also http://nightly.buildroot.org/manual.html#_reviewing_and_testing_patches

Thanks,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #8: triaging proposal
@ 2014-05-05  7:03 ` Arnaud Aujon
From: Arnaud Aujon @ 2014-05-05  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Oops, I didn't copy my last email to the mailing list.
I just tried my patch against latest buildroot on a raspberry pi and
everything works fine for me.
I resent a v10 version of the patch to update my email address, if there
is something else to fix before including, just let me know.

Regards,

Arnaud Aujon

Le 01/05/2014 20:37, Marcelo Gutierrez a ?crit?:

@ 2014-05-01 18:37 Marcelo Gutierrez
From: Marcelo Gutierrez @ 2014-05-01 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot