* phoshor-network manager daemon + IPMI
@ 2017-10-23 14:48 ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2017-10-23 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

I'm curious if anyone has experience using the phosphor-network
manager daemon. I've run into some oddities using it for instance, if
you don't configure anything it sets up both links as LinkLocal and
enables DHCP, etc -- and then even if DHCP fails, it doesn't update it
(although it's aware of the failure) -- and when I then go to set the
IP address over IPMI to a static IP, I run the two lan channel set
commands which work (because they just set the object contents) --
when i call "access on" over IPMI, it tries to delete all the dbus
objects for the network, which fail because of checks in the network
daemon that prevent this, which causes the network daemon to crash.

Ultimately I'm going to enable the host ipmi daemon to support
multiple channels -- the trick is then to map the channel to an
ethernet device...  Some patches will be send up today to reviewing
this type of change.

I'm going through the uses cases now trying to get it working, and
just curious what I should be doing to get it to work.

Also of note, when I set the MAC address -- which works :), it doesn't
update the configuration for the systemd network file with that
information  -- I'll be sending a patch for that today -- but I was
curious if that was deliberate, etc.

Thanks,
Patrick

* Re: phoshor-network manager daemon + IPMI
@ 2017-10-23 17:18   ` Dave Cobbley
From: Dave Cobbley @ 2017-10-23 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture, OpenBMC Maillist

I have been digging into the network manager as well.
The link local problem has been popping up on our systems as well.

I'm not sure why linklocaladdress causes our systems to get the 169.XX IP Address.
I suspect is has something to do with the way our DHCP servers are setup on the network, systemd-networkd is not recognizing that we do in fact get an IP from DHCP.

I'm assuming engineers at IBM are not seeing this behavior since the patch was accepted (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Therefore this is more likely not a bug in systemd, but something strange with the configuration of network infrastructure.
Either way, root cause needs to be identified.

To work around it, simply delete the line linklocaladdress=xxxx from /etc/systemd/networkd/00-bmc-ethx.network

Let me know if you make any more observations about the strange behavior (it would be nice to get past this issue).

Thanks,
-Dave Cobbley

@ 2017-10-23 18:21     ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2017-10-23 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Cobbley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Dave Cobbley
<david.j.cobbley@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> I have been digging into the network manager as well.
> The link local problem has been popping up on our systems as well.
>
> I'm not sure why linklocaladdress causes our systems to get the 169.XX IP
> Address.
> I suspect is has something to do with the way our DHCP servers are setup on
> the network, systemd-networkd is not recognizing that we do in fact get an
> IP from DHCP.
>
> I'm assuming engineers at IBM are not seeing this behavior since the patch
> was accepted (please correct me if I'm wrong).
> Therefore this is more likely not a bug in systemd, but something strange
> with the configuration of network infrastructure.
> Either way, root cause needs to be identified.
>
> To work around it, simply delete the line linklocaladdress=xxxx from
> /etc/systemd/networkd/00-bmc-ethx.network

I ended up updating the default configuration file writer to not set
that, then found that once it had DHCP=yes in it, it also would crash
on attempt to delete (from the exception it raises when you try)

@ 2017-10-24 10:16     ` Ratan K Gupta
From: Ratan K Gupta @ 2017-10-24 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: venture; +Cc: david.j.cobbley, openbmc

* Re: phoshor-network manager daemon + IPMI
@ 2017-10-24 14:35       ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2017-10-24 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ratan K Gupta; +Cc: Dave Cobbley, OpenBMC Maillist

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 3:16 AM, Ratan K Gupta <ratagupt@in.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> We have enabled the link local address auto configuration,thats why you are
> noticing the link local address,
> But as a side effect of this,you should not notice this problem that the
> DHCP IP has not get assigned to the
> BMC.
>
> Please try the "ip addr show dev eth0" instead of ifconfig.
>
> Now days kernel supports ip aliasing where a single interface can have
> multiple ip adress,so on a intterface you may see link local address
> as well as DHCP assigned/Static Assigned IP address.
>
> I have tried on our setup and it is working fine.

However, have you tried updating the IP address over IPMI?  As part of
that code, it calls delete on those interfaces and IPs (all of them).
Which fails.  Should there be logic in the ipmi daemon to only delete
non-local-link addresses?  And then, if you try to delete a DHCP
assigned address, it also fails -- so how does one transition from
DHCP to static?  I'd just like to hear how these cases were tested so
I can verify the problem is on my end with my configuration, or
possibly that more work is required before this is working fine.

@ 2017-10-25 11:02       ` Ratan K Gupta
From: Ratan K Gupta @ 2017-10-25 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: venture; +Cc: david.j.cobbley, openbmc

* Re: phoshor-network manager daemon + IPMI
@ 2017-10-25 14:38         ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2017-10-25 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ratan K Gupta; +Cc: Dave Cobbley, OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:02 AM, Ratan K Gupta <ratagupt@in.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Certain test cases which we tried through IPMI,Here are few.
>
> Valid conf
> =========
> ipmitool -I dbus lan set 1 ipsrc static
> ipmitool -I dbus lan set 1 ipaddr x.x.x.x
> ipmitool -I dbus lan set 1 netmask x.x.x.x
> ipmitool -I dbus lan set 1 defgw ipaddr x.x.x.x
> ipmitool -I dbus raw 0x06 0x40

Thanks, question. Is that last command the raw of "ipmitool lan set
access on" -- I don't know if the internal version of ipmitool
supports it.  the one on the host that I'm using does.  When I run
that, excluding setting the netmask and defgw it fails when I set
access on when it goes to delete the eth0/ip interfaces that it
automatically created for me -- because I don't have a network
configuration on boot.

Your experiment groups this under valid conf -- are you saying that
you started with a specific systemd network configuration file?