* [U-Boot] NAND booting of MPC8313 based Custom board
@ 2009-08-03 16:20 Ron Madrid
From: Ron Madrid @ 2009-08-03 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> "NAND boot... read failed (ltesr)"

This message is triggered by an uncorrectable ECC error; LTESR[2].

> Can any one tell how shall i proceed for booting
> successfully from large
> page NAND ?

This sounds very similar to problems I initially had.  Odds are your are
burning you LP NAND with the ECCM (FMR[23]) set incorrectly.  So the NAND
read is failing because it is reading the correct ECC from the wrong
offset, hence making it incorrect and uncorrectable.  Double check that and
see if it helps.

Ron

* [U-Boot] NAND booting of MPC8313 based Custom board
@ 2009-08-04 14:21 ` Rupesh Kumar
From: Rupesh Kumar @ 2009-08-04 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi
Thanks for reply.
I changed ECCM bit and it fixed "NAND boot... read failed (ltesr)"
problem.
However, now it again stuck after printing transferring control.
It lookes like it is able to copy u-boot image to RAM but not able to run
from there.
What could be problem in this ?

Thanks
Rupesh

Ron Madrid <ron_madrid@sbcglobal.net>
08/03/2009 09:50 PM

Scott Wood <scottwood@freescale.com>, Rupesh Kumar
<Rupesh.Kumar@Lntemsys.com>
cc
u-boot at lists.denx.de
Subject
Re: [U-Boot] NAND booting of MPC8313 based Custom board

@ 2009-08-05 18:35   ` Ron Madrid
From: Ron Madrid @ 2009-08-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

> However, now it again stuck after printing transferring
> control.

This probably means that the NAND is being read appropriately, but is
not able to run the code from the location to where the data is being
transferred.  To what address is your code being transferred?  Is it a
valid region?

Ron

* [U-Boot] NAND booting of MPC8313 based Custom board
@ 2009-08-07 15:49     ` Rupesh Kumar
From: Rupesh Kumar @ 2009-08-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I get
NAN DSPL - U-Boot 1.3.0-S600-Ver1.1 (Aug  8 2009 - 02:24:03) MPC83XX
NAN DSPL - U-Boot 1.3.0-S600-Ver1.1 (Aug  8 2009 - 02:24:03) MPC83XX
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

I have changes the code like below nand_boot.c

   char str[5] = { 1 }
 for (ctr = CFG_NAND_PAGE_SIZE / sizeof (unsigned int); ctr; ctr--) {
                                ptr = (char*)src;
                                *(dst++) = *(src++);
        str[0] = *(char*)ptr++;
        str[1] = *(char*)ptr++;
        str[2] = *(char*)ptr++;
        str[3] = *(char*)ptr;
        str[4] = 0;
                                puts(str);

                        }
                }

I get the continuos 000000 printing on the console .

I think the boot loader0 is failing to read the nand properly and it is
readig zero's.
Can u please tell is there something i am missing.

Thanks

Thanks  & Regards
Rupesh Kumar Larsen and Toubro Limited-EmSyS
KIADB Industrial Area,Hebbal,Hottagalli
Mysore,Karnataka,India. PIN:-570018
PhNo:- 0821-2405599 Extn-5599
Email-id:- Rupesh.kumar at lntemsys.com

This Mail is classified as :-
------------------------------------
[  ]  L&T EmSyS Proprietary
[  ]  L&T EmSyS Confidential
[  ]  L&T EmSyS Internal Use
[  ]  L&T EmSyS General Business
------------------------------------
to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and
may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or
copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all
copies of this message and any attachments. WARNING: Computer viruses can
be transmitted via email. The recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability

Ron Madrid <ron_madrid@sbcglobal.net>
08/06/2009 12:05 AM

Scott Wood <scottwood@freescale.com>, u-boot at lists.denx.de
Subject

@ 2009-08-07 16:09       ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2009-08-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 09:19:07PM +0530, Rupesh Kumar wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I get
> NAN DSPL - U-Boot 1.3.0-S600-Ver1.1 (Aug  8 2009 - 02:24:03) MPC83XX
> NAN DSPL - U-Boot 1.3.0-S600-Ver1.1 (Aug  8 2009 - 02:24:03) MPC83XX
> BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Why did you go back to the old BSP u-boot?

> I think the boot loader0 is failing to read the nand properly and it is
> readig zero's.
> Can u please tell is there something i am missing.

We're missing a lot -- the rest of the source to that file, since it's
not part of mainline u-boot.

If you want to try something similar with mainline, the file to look at
is nand_spl/nand_boot_fsl_elbc.c.

-Scott

* [U-Boot] NAND booting of MPC8313 based Custom board
@ 2009-08-07 16:17 Ron Madrid
From: Ron Madrid @ 2009-08-07 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

>NAN DSPL - U-Boot 1.3.0-S600-Ver1.1 (Aug ?8 2009 - 02:24:03) MPC83XX
>NAN DSPL - U-Boot 1.3.0-S600-Ver1.1 (Aug ?8 2009 - 02:24:03) MPC83XX
>
>I think the boot loader0 is failing to read the nand properly
>and it is readig zero's.
>
>Can u please tell is there something i am missing.

I believe that there was a slight issue with reading of the large page flash
with version 1.3.x.  I believe it was reading the wrong oob bytes to check
for bad NAND blocks.  I can't remember when it was fixed, but I know that it
is resolved in the most current u-boot.  Try the most current u-boot and
report back if the issue persists.

Ron

* [U-Boot] NAND booting of MPC8313 based Custom board
@ 2009-08-03 15:54     ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2009-08-03 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 08:20:41PM +0530, Rupesh Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
> I used latest version of u-boot (U-Boot 2009.08-rc1) for NAND booting of
> my board. Still, it didn't work.
> Board starts booting and then says read failed and hangs there.  It prints
> following message on console
>
> "NAND boot... read failed (ltesr)"

You most likely got an uncorrectable ECC error reading the data; did you
also program the image from current u-boot, or are you trying to boot an
image written by the old u-boot?  There could be a mismatch on ECC
layout.

Is your board file overriding FMR with CONFIG_FSL_ELBC_FMR (it should
not)?

> I am using 2.1 silicon MPC8313 based custom board with large page NAND.
>
> Can any one tell how shall i proceed for booting successfully from large
> page NAND ?

Debugging. :-)

-Scott

* [U-Boot] NAND booting of MPC8313 based Custom board
@ 2009-08-03 14:50   ` Rupesh Kumar
From: Rupesh Kumar @ 2009-08-03 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,
I used latest version of u-boot (U-Boot 2009.08-rc1) for NAND booting of
my board. Still, it didn't work.
Board starts booting and then says read failed and hangs there.  It prints
following message on console

"NAND boot... read failed (ltesr)"

I am using 2.1 silicon MPC8313 based custom board with large page NAND.

Can any one tell how shall i proceed for booting successfully from large
page NAND ?

Thanks in advance
Rupesh

Scott Wood <scottwood@freescale.com>
07/29/2009 11:26 PM

u-boot at lists.denx.de
Subject

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:05:45PM +0530, Rupesh Kumar wrote:
> I am using u-boot version 1.3.0 included in freescale LTIB released for
> MPC8313ERDB custom board.
> I tried NAND booting of MPC8313ERDB board using this u-boot and it
worked
> fine.
>
> Using similar procedure i tried NAND boot on my custom board but it dint

> work :(
>
> My board has large page NAND where as MPC8313ERDB has small page NAND. I

> have modified all the parameters required for Large page NAND.
> It prints initail debug message as shown below and then while copying
> u-boot code from NAND to DDR it detects NAND blocks as bad block and
> continuously prints 'B' on Console.
>
> NAND SPL - U-Boot 1.3.0 (Jul 30 2009 - 06:33:05) MPC83XX

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

> Can any one please tell what could be going wrong? Am i missing
something
> in large page NAND initialization?

Please try the current upstream u-boot rather than the BSP version.  Large
page support in the mpc8313erdb BSP is likely broken.

-Scott

* [U-Boot] NAND booting of MPC8313 based Custom board
@ 2009-07-29 22:29 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-07-29 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Rupesh Kumar,

In message <OF532B0371.E31EB889-ON65257602.0059777C-65257602.005A0A76@lntemsys.com> you wrote:

> I am using u-boot version 1.3.0 included in freescale LTIB released for
> MPC8313ERDB custom board.
> I tried NAND booting of MPC8313ERDB board using this u-boot and it worked
> fine.

U-Boot 1.3.0 is very old. Please try top of tree (v2009.08-rc1).

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Philosophy:  A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing.
- Ambrose Bierce

* [U-Boot] NAND booting of MPC8313 based Custom board
@ 2009-07-29 17:56 ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2009-07-29 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2009-07-29 16:35 Rupesh Kumar