* My e1000e GBE card is eating all port 623 pks
@ 2012-04-21 13:31 Joakim Tjernlund
From: Joakim Tjernlund @ 2012-04-21 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Looks like port 623 is some mgmt protocol and our e1000e boards are eating these
pkgs and this trips NIS, finger and yptest hangs for a long time before timing out and
moving on.

Is there a way to tell the network stack not to eat port 623 pkgs or
have NIS not to use port 623?

 Jocke

* Re: My e1000e GBE card is eating all port 623 pks
@ 2012-04-24 21:51 ` Jesse Brandeburg
From: Jesse Brandeburg @ 2012-04-24 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Tjernlund; +Cc: netdev

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:31:09 +0200
Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@transmode.se> wrote:

> Looks like port 623 is some mgmt protocol and our e1000e boards are eating these
> pkgs and this trips NIS, finger and yptest hangs for a long time before timing out and
> moving on.
>
> Is there a way to tell the network stack not to eat port 623 pkgs or
> have NIS not to use port 623?

I think you might be looking for something like portreserve
(see man portreserve)

Jesse

* Re: My e1000e GBE card is eating all port 623 pks
@ 2012-04-25  9:06   ` Joakim Tjernlund
From: Joakim Tjernlund @ 2012-04-25  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Brandeburg; +Cc: netdev

Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@intel.com> wrote on 2012/04/24 23:51:28:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:31:09 +0200
> Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@transmode.se> wrote:
>
> > Looks like port 623 is some mgmt protocol and our e1000e boards are eating these
> > pkgs and this trips NIS, finger and yptest hangs for a long time before timing out and
> > moving on.
> >
> > Is there a way to tell the network stack not to eat port 623 pkgs or
> > have NIS not to use port 623?
>
> I think you might be looking for something like portreserve
> (see man portreserve)

Seen portreserve on the web(gentoo does not have it) but it seems like a workaround.
Should not eating port 623 be something one should turn on? Now it is default on
and I cannot find a way to turn it off.

@ 2012-04-25  9:57     ` Brice Goglin
From: Brice Goglin @ 2012-04-25  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Tjernlund; +Cc: Jesse Brandeburg, netdev

On 25/04/2012 11:06, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Jesse Brandeburg<jesse.brandeburg@intel.com>  wrote on 2012/04/24 23:51:28:
>> On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 15:31:09 +0200
>> Joakim Tjernlund<joakim.tjernlund@transmode.se>  wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like port 623 is some mgmt protocol and our e1000e boards are eating these
>>> pkgs and this trips NIS, finger and yptest hangs for a long time before timing out and
>>> moving on.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to tell the network stack not to eat port 623 pkgs or
>>> have NIS not to use port 623?
>> I think you might be looking for something like portreserve
>> (see man portreserve)
> Seen portreserve on the web(gentoo does not have it) but it seems like a workaround.
> Should not eating port 623 be something one should turn on? Now it is default on
> and I cannot find a way to turn it off.

It might be related to IPMI (UDP/623 iirc). Try looking in your BIOS
and/or network firmware config at boot, there might be things to disable
there.

Brice

* Re: My e1000e GBE card is eating all port 623 pks
@ 2012-04-25 10:13       ` Joakim Tjernlund
From: Joakim Tjernlund @ 2012-04-25 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brice Goglin; +Cc: Jesse Brandeburg, netdev

Brice Goglin <Brice.Goglin@ens-lyon.org> wrote on 2012/04/25 11:57:47:

> On 25/04/2012 11:06, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > Jesse Brandeburg<jesse.brandeburg@intel.com>  wrote on 2012/04/24 23:51:28:

> >> I think you might be looking for something like portreserve
> >> (see man portreserve)
> > Seen portreserve on the web(gentoo does not have it) but it seems like a workaround.
> > Should not eating port 623 be something one should turn on? Now it is default on
> > and I cannot find a way to turn it off.
> >

> It might be related to IPMI (UDP/623 iirc). Try looking in your BIOS
> and/or network firmware config at boot, there might be things to disable
> there.

Been looking around but didn't find anything to turn this off, can you be more specific
where to look?

* RE: My e1000e GBE card is eating all port 623 pks
@ 2012-04-25 16:40         ` Allan, Bruce W
From: Allan, Bruce W @ 2012-04-25 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Tjernlund, Brice Goglin; +Cc: Brandeburg, Jesse, netdev

Manageability packets sent to port 623 should be passed through to the
host networking stack, but there could be a mis-configuration of the
adapter hardware.  Which network adapter are you using?  Would it be
possible for you to also run our register dump utility ethregs(*) and
send us (privately if you would prefer) the output?

(*)http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/Ethregs%20-%20Register%20Dump%20Tool/