* Problems with do_rootfs when changing the user password
@ 2016-06-09  9:00 S.Jaritz
From: S.Jaritz @ 2016-06-09  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hej

I want to change the root password. For that I create the recipe
"myNewPassword.bb" with:
################
SUMMARY = "my new password"
SECTION = "new"
LICENSE = "CLOSED"

inherit extrausers

EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "\
        usermod -P xyz root; \
"
################

compiling and packaging works fine.

In my layer I add at the layer.conf:
################
IMAGE_INSTALL_append=" myNewPassword"
################

When do_rootfs (core-image-minimal) the package could not be found. A
deb(ug) Package was created.

Regards!

Stefan Jaritz

ESA Elektroschaltanlagen Grimma GmbH
Broner Ring 30
04668 Grimma
Telefon: +49 3437 9211 176
Telefax: +49 3437 9211 26
E-Mail: s.jaritz@esa-grimma.de
Internet: www.esa-grimma.de

Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Gaitzsch
Jörg Reinker

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Grimma
Ust.-ID: DE 141784437
Amtsgericht: Leipzig, HRB 5159
Steuernummer: 238/108/00755

Informationen.
Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich
erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und löschen Sie diese
Nachricht. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser
Mail
ist nicht gestattet.

are
notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
strictly
forbidden.

* Re: Problems with do_rootfs when changing the user password
@ 2016-06-09  9:13 ` Oleksandr Poznyak
From: Oleksandr Poznyak @ 2016-06-09  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S.Jaritz; +Cc: yocto

Its better to change root passwd within ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND

Something like that:

set_root_passwd() {
    .....change passwd here
}

ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += " set_root_passwd;"

Thanks,
Oleksandr Poznyak!

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 12:00 PM, <S.Jaritz@esa-grimma.de> wrote:

> Hej
>
> I want to change the root password. For that I create the recipe
> "myNewPassword.bb" with:
> ################
> SUMMARY = "my new password"
> SECTION = "new"
> LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>
> inherit extrausers
>
> EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "\
>         usermod -P xyz root; \
> "
> ################
>
> compiling and packaging works fine.
>
> In my layer I add at the layer.conf:
> ################
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append=" myNewPassword"
> ################
>
> When do_rootfs (core-image-minimal) the package could not be found. A
> deb(ug) Package was created.
>
> Regards!
>
> Stefan Jaritz

> ESA Elektroschaltanlagen Grimma GmbH
> Broner Ring 30
> 04668 Grimma
> Telefon: +49 3437 9211 176
> Telefax: +49 3437 9211 26
> E-Mail: s.jaritz@esa-grimma.de
> Internet: www.esa-grimma.de
>

> Geschäftsführer:
> Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Gaitzsch
> Jörg Reinker
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Grimma
> Ust.-ID: DE 141784437
> Amtsgericht: Leipzig, HRB 5159
> Steuernummer: 238/108/00755

> Informationen.
> Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich
> erhalten
> haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und löschen Sie diese
> Nachricht. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser
> Mail
> ist nicht gestattet.

> are
> not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please
> notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
> copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
> strictly
> forbidden.

* Antwort: Re: Problems with do_rootfs when changing the user password
@ 2016-06-09  9:43   ` S.Jaritz
From: S.Jaritz @ 2016-06-09  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Poznyak; +Cc: yocto

Thanks & done in that way

but the bitbake error "core-image-minimal-1.0-r0 do_rootfs:
myNewPassword.bb not found in the base feeds" still remains

Von:    Oleksandr Poznyak <oleksandr.poznyak@gmail.com>
An:     S.Jaritz@esa-grimma.de
Kopie:  yocto@yoctoproject.org
Datum:  09.06.2016 11:13
Betreff:        Re: [yocto] Problems with do_rootfs when changing the user
password

Hi,

@ 2016-06-09 10:00 ` Jussi Kukkonen
From: Jussi Kukkonen @ 2016-06-09 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S.Jaritz; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 9 June 2016 at 12:00, <S.Jaritz@esa-grimma.de> wrote:

> Hej
>
> I want to change the root password. For that I create the recipe
"myNewPassword.bb" with:
> ################
> SUMMARY = "my new password"
> SECTION = "new"
> LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>
> inherit extrausers
>
> EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "\
>         usermod -P xyz root; \
> "
> ################
>
> compiling and packaging works fine.
>
> In my layer I add at the layer.conf:
> ################
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append=" myNewPassword"
> ################
>
> When do_rootfs (core-image-minimal) the package could not be found. A
deb(ug) Package was created.

If your package would contain no files, bitbake will not produce it at all.
You should be able to override this with:
    ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN} = "1"

 - Jussi

@ 2016-06-09 15:17   ` S.Jaritz
From: S.Jaritz @ 2016-06-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jussi Kukkonen, Oleksandr Poznyak; +Cc: yocto

Hej

Thanks for the infos. I figured out that the common tutorial under
meta-skeleton does not covers the change of the root password. Although
"usermod -P" does not exits. Now the "usermod -p" wants a encrypted
password. Looks like most of the examples at the www are little outdated.
My question is now:

How are the steps to (re)set the root password?

If you like I would prefer to solve this question like a tutorial.

The starting point is a own layer ("myLayer") and a password
("myNewPassword1234").

Von:    Jussi Kukkonen <jussi.kukkonen@intel.com>
An:     S.Jaritz@esa-grimma.de
Kopie:  Yocto Project <yocto@yoctoproject.org>
Datum:  09.06.2016 12:00
password

On 9 June 2016 at 12:00, <S.Jaritz@esa-grimma.de> wrote:

> Hej
>
> I want to change the root password. For that I create the recipe
"myNewPassword.bb" with:
> ################
> SUMMARY = "my new password"
> SECTION = "new"
> LICENSE = "CLOSED"
>
> inherit extrausers
>
> EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "\
>         usermod -P xyz root; \
> "
> ################
>
> compiling and packaging works fine.
>
> In my layer I add at the layer.conf:
> ################
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append=" myNewPassword"
> ################
>
> When do_rootfs (core-image-minimal) the package could not be found. A
deb(ug) Package was created.

If your package would contain no files, bitbake will not produce it at
all. You should be able to override this with:
    ALLOW_EMPTY_${PN} = "1"

 - Jussi

> Regards!
>
> Stefan Jaritz

> ESA Elektroschaltanlagen Grimma GmbH
> Broner Ring 30
> 04668 Grimma
> Telefon: +49 3437 9211 176
> Telefax: +49 3437 9211 26
> E-Mail: s.jaritz@esa-grimma.de
> Internet: www.esa-grimma.de
>

> Geschäftsführer:
> Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Gaitzsch
> Jörg Reinker
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Grimma
> Ust.-ID: DE 141784437
> Amtsgericht: Leipzig, HRB 5159
> Steuernummer: 238/108/00755

Informationen.
> Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich
erhalten
> haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und löschen Sie diese
> Nachricht. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser
Mail
> ist nicht gestattet.

you are
> not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
please
> notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
> copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
strictly
> forbidden.

* Re: Antwort: Re: Problems with do_rootfs when changing the user password
@ 2016-06-09 17:28     ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2016-06-09 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

> How are the steps to (re)set the root password?

I am using something like this to set passwords:

inherit extrausers

# set image root password
ROOT_PASSWORD = "secret"
DEV_PASSWORD = "hackme"

EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "\
    groupadd developers; \
    useradd -p `openssl passwd ${DEV_PASSWORD}` developer; \
    useradd -g developers developer; \
    usermod -p `openssl passwd ${ROOT_PASSWORD}` root; \
"
\0

> If you like I would prefer to solve this question like a tutorial.

Shameless plug here, please excuse: I am explaining this and more in my book "Embedded Linux Systems with the Yocto Project".

> The starting point is a own layer ("myLayer") and a password
> ("myNewPassword1234").

Using your own layer for your custom distro/image configuration is the way to go. Just put the code above into your image recipe like this:

SUMMARY = "Custom image recipe from scratch"
DESCRIPTION = "Directly assign IMAGE_INSTALL and IMAGE_FEATURES for \
               for direct control over image contents."

LICENSE = "MIT"

# We are using the assignment operator (=) below to purposely overwrite
# the default from the core-image class.
IMAGE_INSTALL = "packagegroup-core-boot packagegroup-base-extended \
                 ${CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL}"

inherit core-image
inherit extrausers

# set image root password
ROOT_PASSWORD = "secret"
DEV_PASSWORD = "hackme"

EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "\
   groupadd developers; \
   useradd -p `openssl passwd ${DEV_PASSWORD}` developer; \
   useradd -g developers developer; \
   usermod -p `openssl passwd ${ROOT_PASSWORD}` root; \
   "

Best regards,
Rudi

* Re: Antwort: Re: Problems with do_rootfs when changing the user password
@ 2016-06-10  4:16     ` Maxin B. John
From: Maxin B. John @ 2016-06-10  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S.Jaritz; +Cc: yocto

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 05:17:33PM +0200, S.Jaritz@esa-grimma.de wrote:

>Hej
>
>Thanks for the infos. I figured out that the common tutorial under meta-skeleton
>does not covers the change of the root password. Although "usermod -P" does not exits.
>Now the "usermod -p" wants a encrypted password. Looks like most of the examples at the
>www are little outdated. My question is now:
>
>How are the steps to (re)set the root password?
>
>If you like I would prefer to solve this question like a tutorial.
>
>The starting point is a own layer ("myLayer") and a password ("myNewPassword1234").

I would suggest to update this wiki page instead of starting something from scratch:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_set_or_change_the_root_password

>Regards!
>
>Stefan Jaritz

Warm Regards,
Maxin

* Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Problems with do_rootfs when changing the user password
@ 2016-06-10 10:08       ` S.Jaritz
From: S.Jaritz @ 2016-06-10 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxin B. John; +Cc: rudolf.streif, yocto

Hej Maxin,

Great Idea - The wiki was my starting point. By the way there is no
"usermod -P". I can tell only for my self, but I like the meta-skeleton
section. A working example is better than 10 e-mails. From my Yocto newbee
view I would prefer some simple lean recipes as templates(or reverse
engineering). Like:

add user
add group
change root pw
cmake
cmake + change cmake environment var

@Rudi: Maybe you whant to add your soultion to the meta-skeleton?
@Maxin: Maybe you make a link into meta-skeleton to Rudis soultion?

Von:    "Maxin B. John" <maxin.john@intel.com>
An:     S.Jaritz@esa-grimma.de
Kopie:  Jussi Kukkonen <jussi.kukkonen@intel.com>, Oleksandr Poznyak
<oleksandr.poznyak@gmail.com>, yocto@yoctoproject.org
Datum:  10.06.2016 11:10
Betreff:        Re: [yocto] Antwort: Re: Problems with do_rootfs when
changing the user password

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 05:17:33PM +0200, S.Jaritz@esa-grimma.de wrote:

>Hej
>
>Thanks for the infos. I figured out that the common tutorial under
meta-skeleton
>does not covers the change of the root password. Although "usermod -P"
does not exits.
>Now the "usermod -p" wants a encrypted password. Looks like most of the
examples at the
>www are little outdated. My question is now:
>
>How are the steps to (re)set the root password?
>
>If you like I would prefer to solve this question like a tutorial.
>
>The starting point is a own layer ("myLayer") and a password
("myNewPassword1234").

I would suggest to update this wiki page instead of starting something
from scratch:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FAQ:How_do_I_set_or_change_the_root_password

>Regards!
>
>Stefan Jaritz