* [Printing-architecture] Created ../pwg/fsg/April2003_meeting_slides directory for FSG presentations
@ 2003-03-10  0:49 Claudia Alimpich
From: Claudia Alimpich @ 2003-03-10  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

I created a directory under the fsg directory where we can put our FSG
presentations for the PSG/FSG meeting on April 1st.
   ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/fsg/April2003_meeting_slides

If you don't like the name of the directory or where it resides, we can
change/move it. I thought that it would be better to have all of the
presentations in the same directory instead of under the individual
sub-directories.

I placed the DRAFT version of the JT presentation there already and will
replace it with the FINAL version once we review it this Tuesday and make
changes.

Claudia Alimpich

* [Printing-architecture] Slides upload: FTP problems
@ 2003-03-18  3:59 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2003-03-18  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudia Alimpich; +Cc: printing-architecture

Claudia Alimpich wrote:
> I created a directory under the fsg directory where we can put our FSG
> presentations for the PSG/FSG meeting on April 1st.
>    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/fsg/April2003_meeting_slides
>
> If you don't like the name of the directory or where it resides, we can
> change/move it. I thought that it would be better to have all of the
> presentations in the same directory instead of under the individual
> sub-directories.

I have nothing against the directory name, but it would be nice if I
could actually upload files to the directory.

I tried from my local machine and from linuxprinting.org (see the
sessions below). From linuxprinting.org I can change into the correct
destination directory, but when I try to upload a file, it simply hangs,
until it reaches the FTP connection timeout after 5 minutes. Trying from
my local machine gives only errors as shown below. "scp" upload does not
work, there is no SSH daemon listening on port 22 of ftp.pwg.org.

I have put up the slides on linuxprinting.org for now:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003.pdf
http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003.sxi

The ".sxi" file is created with OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 under Mandrake
Linux 9.0.

I can download and view Claudia's files on the FTP server with Mozilla,
only upload with "ftp" or "gftp" does not work for me

Can someone check the server and fix the problem or at least upload my
files?

Thank you.

    Till

Attempt from linuxprinting.org
till@poblano:~/www/tmp$ ftp ftp.pwg.org
Connected to www.pwg.org.
220 FTP Server ready.
Name (ftp.pwg.org:till): pwg
331 Password required for pwg.
Password:
230 User pwg logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd fsg
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> cd April2003_meeting_slides
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> put talk_pwg2003.sxi
200 PORT command successful.

[ nothing happens ]

421 Idle Timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection.

Attempt from my local machine
[till@localhost talks]$ ftp ftp.pwg.org
Connected to www.pwg.org.
220 FTP Server ready.
500 AUTH not understood.
500 AUTH not understood.
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Name (ftp.pwg.org:till): pwg
331 Password required for pwg.
Password:
230 User pwg logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,146,101,49,164,216).
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
drwxr-xr-x   2 pwg      staff         512 Mar  3 14:55 Character-Repertoires
drwxrwxr-x  12 pwg      staff        3584 Mar 14 10:13 QUALDOCS
drwxr-xr-x   4 pwg      staff         512 Jun 21  2002 Related
drwxr-xr-x   5 pwg      staff        1024 Mar 17 13:11 Semantic-Model
drwxr-xr-x   3 pwg      staff         512 Dec  3 14:55 capabilities
drwxrwxr-x   2 pwg      0             512 Aug 12  2001 cpap
drwxrwxr-x   6 pwg      0             512 Aug 12  2001 dpa
drwxrwxr-x  11 pwg      0             512 Aug 12  2001 fin
drwxr-xr-x   9 pwg      staff         512 Mar  9 19:22 fsg
drwxrwxr-x   7 pwg      staff         512 Jan 29 00:04 general
-rw-r--r--   1 pwg      staff        5910 Oct 30 17:55 index.html
drwxrwxr-x  69 pwg      staff        1536 Feb 27 17:29 ipp
drwxrwxr-x  17 pwg      staff         512 Aug 12  2001 jmp
drwxr-xr-x   2 pwg      staff        1536 Sep 24  2001 media-sizes
-rw-r--r--   1 pwg      staff      770815 Apr 21  2000 mfdmib2.pdf
drwxrwxr-x   2 pwg      staff         512 Aug 12  2001 ncmg_print
drwxrwxr-x  36 pwg      staff        1024 Aug 12  2001 p1394
drwxrwxr-x   9 pwg      staff         512 Aug  5  2002 pmp
drwxr-xr-x   9 pwg      staff        3584 Mar  3 13:26 ps
drwxrwxr-x   4 pwg      staff         512 Aug 12  2001 sdp
drwxrwxr-x   4 pwg      staff        1024 Aug 12  2001 sense
drwxrwxr-x  32 pwg      staff        1024 Aug 12  2001 snmpmib
drwxr-xr-x   2 pwg      staff         512 Feb 28  2002 standards
drwxrwxr-x   4 pwg      staff         512 Aug 12  2001 tools
drwxrwxr-x   6 pwg      staff         512 Feb 11 07:50 upd
drwxr-xr-x   7 pwg      staff         512 Mar  3 16:13 wbmm
drwxr-xr-x   2 pwg      staff         512 Nov 12 13:17 wsm
drwxrwxr-x  26 pwg      staff        1536 Feb 11 12:03 www
drwxr-xr-x   5 pwg      staff         512 Jun 21  2002 xhtml-print
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> cd fsg
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,146,101,49,164,217).
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
drwxr-xr-x   2 pwg      staff         512 Mar 12 12:04
April2003_meeting_slides drwxr-xr-x   4 pwg      staff        1024 Jan
16 15:22 architecture
drwxr-xr-x   2 pwg      staff         512 Dec  6 14:43 cap
drwxr-xr-x   2 pwg      staff         512 Jun 26  2002 driver
drwxr-xr-x   2 pwg      staff         512 Jun 26  2002 general
drwxr-xr-x   7 pwg      staff        2560 Dec 16 17:39 jobticket
drwxr-xr-x   2 pwg      staff        1024 Dec  4 20:14 spool
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> cd April2003_meeting_slides
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,146,101,49,164,219).
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
-rw-r--r--   1 pwg      staff       93997 Mar 12 12:04
FSGOpenPrint_JT_11Mar2003.pdf
-rw-r--r--   1 pwg      staff      103936 Mar 12 12:04
FSGOpenPrint_JT_11Mar2003.ppt
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> mput *pwg*.sxi
mput talk_pwg2003.sxi? y
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,146,101,49,164,220).
503 No PORT command issued first.
ftp> ?
Commands may be abbreviated.  Commands are:

!               cr              mdir            proxy           send
$               delete          mget            sendport        site
account         debug           mkdir           put             size
append          dir             mls             pwd             status
ascii           disconnect      mode            quit            struct
bell            form            modtime         quote           system
binary          get             mput            recv            sunique
bye             glob            newer           reget           tenex
case            hash            nmap            rstatus         trace
ccc             help            nlist           rhelp           type
cd              idle            ntrans          rename          user
cdup            image           open            reset           umask
chmod           lcd             passive         restart         verbose
clear           ls              private         rmdir           ?
close           macdef          prompt          runique
cprotect        mdelete         protect         safe
ftp> PORT 21]
?Invalid command
ftp> PORT 21
?Invalid command
ftp> port 21
?Invalid command
ftp> rhelp
214-The following commands are recognized (* =>'s unimplemented).
214-USER    PASS    ACCT*   CWD     XCWD    CDUP    XCUP    SMNT*
214-QUIT    REIN*   PORT    PASV    TYPE    STRU    MODE    RETR
214-STOR    STOU*   APPE    ALLO*   REST    RNFR    RNTO    ABOR
214-DELE    MDTM    RMD     XRMD    MKD     XMKD    PWD     XPWD
214-SIZE    LIST    NLST    SITE    SYST    STAT    HELP    NOOP
214 Direct comments to Postmaster@Lexmark.COM.
ftp> sendport 21
Use of PORT cmds off.
ftp> mput *pwg*.sxi
mput talk_pwg2003.sxi? y
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,146,101,49,164,223).
503 No PORT command issued first.
ftp> sendport 21
Use of PORT cmds on.
ftp> mput *pwg*.sxi
mput talk_pwg2003.sxi? y
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,146,101,49,164,224).
503 No PORT command issued first.
ftp> passive
Passive mode off.
ftp> mput talk_pwg2003.sxi
mput talk_pwg2003.sxi? y
500 Illegal PORT command.
ftp> sendport
Use of PORT cmds off.
ftp> mput talk_pwg2003.sxi
mput talk_pwg2003.sxi? y
ftp: bind: Address already in use
ftp>

* [Printing-architecture] Re: Slides upload: FTP problems
@ 2003-03-18 22:42   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2003-03-18 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudia Alimpich, printing-architecture

Till Kamppeter wrote:

> I have put up the slides on linuxprinting.org for now:
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003.pdf
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003.sxi
>
> The ".sxi" file is created with OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 under Mandrake
> Linux 9.0.

To make download easier, I have added the following formats for my slides:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003.pdf.zip
http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003_POOR_QUALITY.ppt

the really shortest is the PowerPoint version which I have generated
with OpenOffice.org, but the slides in it look ugly, the background is
messed and the logo is missing, but one can at least read the text and
the diagrams.

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] Re: Slides upload: FTP problems
@ 2003-03-19 23:59     ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2003-03-19 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudia Alimpich; +Cc: printing-architecture

Oi,

as wide parts of the US are deeply buried under snow, here is a
text-only version (below) to be readable also from cell phone displays
or PDAs (so that fixed phone and/or electricity are not needed).

Here are also HTML versions:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003_html/talk_pwg2003.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003_html/text0.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003_html.tar.gz
http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003_html.zip
http://www.linuxprinting.org/till/tmp/talk_pwg2003.txt

I hope now everyone can read it.

    Till

linuxprinting.org and Foomatic

Till Kamppeter, MandrakeSoft, France
PWG/FSG OP Meeting, March 31-April 4, 2003

Summary

- What is Foomatic?
- How did Foomatic emerge?
- How does Foomatic work?
- What is planned for the future?
- What is Foomatic?

Foomatic: Universal Printing Infrastructure

- Database about how printers are supported by free software
- Most complete database: Lists all free drivers and around 1000 printers.
Contains also information of how the drivers are executed (Command line,
options)
- Easy setup of printers under all spoolers

What is Foomatic?

- PPD file generator for all free printing systems (CUPS, PPR, PDQ, LPD,
GNUlpr, LPRng, CPS, no spooler)
- User has access to all the driver's options when printing
- Scripts for administration/printing with the same interface for all
spoolers
- Inofficial standard used by Mandrake, Conectiva, Red Hat, SuSE,
Debian, KDE Print, ...

How did Foomatic emerge?

Foomatic: A Short History
- Started 1998 by Grant Taylor, author of the Printing HOWTO
- CUPS-O-Matic In early 2000, shortly after first CUPS release, later
PDQ-O-Matic
- In August 2000 I started at MandrakeSoft to switch Mandrake 7.2 to
CUPS as the first distro.
- To not loose printer support in Mandrake 7.2, I entered the execution
details of all drivers.
- Since August 2001 I am project leader.

How does Foomatic work?

- XML-Database consisting of entries for
   o Printers: Contains make, model, comments, support quality, ...
   o Drivers: Contains name, type, command line prototype, list of
supported printers, ...
   o Options: Contains name, type, possible settings, for what
printers/drivers, what to insert into command line/print job
- From this is derived which drivers
with which options support a printer

How does Foomatic work?

- This data forms the pages of linuxprinting.org
- The same data is used to generate PPD files:
- The user chooses printer and driver
- An Adobe-compliant PPD file for the printer/driver combo is made
- The user sets up a print queue with this file and the universal
Foomatic filter "foomatic-rip"

How does Foomatic work?

Foomatic filter
- "foomatic-rip" filter converts PostScript to the printer's native
language.
- Filter is Perl script, reads printer capabilities from PPD file
without libraries
- Filter receives user's settings via spooler or embedded in the job's
PostScript
- Filter sets up GhostScript command line from info of the config file
and the user
- Also inserts settings in job (PS, PJL)

How does Foomatic work?

- Interaction with applications/frontends
- Applications produce PostScript to print
- Options can be set on the command line: "lpr -P lj -o Resolution=1200
file.ps"
- KDE Applications use GUI "kprinter" which gets capability info from
Foomatic PPD or CUPS
- Other GUIs: XPP, GTKlp (CUPS), GPR (PPD)
- The PPD files are also used for PPD-aware apps (as OpenOffice.org) or
Windows/Mac clients.

How does Foomatic work?

Same interface for administration/usage of every spooler

foomatic-configure
- Administration of print queues (add, modify, copy, ...)
- Adding queues with one command line under any spooler

foomatic-printjob
- Tool for printing and managing jobs
- Unifies functionality of "lpr", "lpq", "lprm", "lpc" also for spoolers
without such commands

What is planned for the future?

- Printer/driver classes
   o Classes contain printers or drivers with common features (as all A3
printers, all PCL5, ...)
   o Option/choice constraints can specify classes
   o Class XML files contain common info as printer language, comment
text snippets, ...
- Option conflict handling (as duplex on transparencies)
- PickMany, String and Password option types

What is planned for the future?

- "pstoedit" driver entry for HP-GL/2 plotters
- Links to PPD/UPDF files in database, hosting these files on
linuxprinting.org
Free HP and Kyocera PPDs already available.
- Automatic Foomatic data generation for UPDF files with Omni
- GUI for Foomatic tools
- Printer auto-detection
- Auto-config of OpenOffice.org, GIMP, ...

Final words

Foomatic ...
... is the most complete printer/driver compatibility database
... generates Adobe-compliant PPD files
... has a universal filter for all spoolers
... provides tools for printer administration and printing for all free
spoolers
So Foomatic is already one of the best solutions for
printer/driver/spooler integration, but ...

Final words

- Currently, 90 % of the work on Foomatic is done by me
- More developers needed to implement important, but still missing features
- Database must be kept up-to-date with new printer models
- Publishing of PPDs/UPDFs as free software by printer manufacturers
needed, to add these files to linuxprinting.org