* "NFS: readdir reply truncated!" messages
@ 2003-07-15 21:39 Robert Williamson
From: Robert Williamson @ 2003-07-15 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

I'm these seeing messages occaisionally using 'dmesg' on both of my test
clients.   What exactly does this mean? Is the packet size being truncated?

Robert V. Williamson <robbiew@us.ibm.com>
Linux Test Project
IBM Linux Technology Center
Web: http://ltp.sourceforge.net
IRC: #ltp on freenode.irc.net

* Re: "NFS: readdir reply truncated!" messages
@ 2003-07-16 23:29 ` Trond Myklebust
From: Trond Myklebust @ 2003-07-16 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Williamson; +Cc: NFS maillist

     > I'm these seeing messages occaisionally using 'dmesg' on both
     > of my test clients.  What exactly does this mean? Is the packet
     > size being truncated?

It means that the packet sent by the server caused the client to
overrun because the end-marker was not found (i.e. the client found
itself attempting to read beyond the end of the packet).

Two possibilities:
  - The server is failing to set the end-marker.
  - The server is sending a packet that exceeds the 4k buffer
    advertised by the client, and so the packet is truncated before we
    reach the end-marker.

This is a non-fatal error, since the client should have no problems
recovering (it detect the overrun, and inserts its own end-marker)
however we still send out a warning message.

Cheers,
  Trond