* makedumpfile: a feature question about filtering
@ 2020-09-08  1:38 piliu
From: piliu @ 2020-09-08  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kexec; +Cc: Kazuhito Hagio

Hello,

There is an appeal which only wants to save some user page including env
and args pages, and discards the other user space pages.

To achieve this feature, mm_struct's members "arg_start, arg_end,
env_start, env_end;" should be accessed. So we need to export mm_struct
and init_mm through vmcore.

This somewhat overlaps with the function of crash utility. And I want to
know if this feature is acceptable in upstream.

Any comment and suggestion?

Thanks,
Pingfan

* RE: makedumpfile: a feature question about filtering
@ 2020-09-11  8:53 ` HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁)
From: HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) @ 2020-09-11  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: piliu, kexec

Hi Pingfan,

> There is an appeal which only wants to save some user page including env
> and args pages, and discards the other user space pages.

I understand that it's helpful to get them even with -d 31 for crash's
"ps -a" option..

> To achieve this feature, mm_struct's members "arg_start, arg_end,
> env_start, env_end;" should be accessed. So we need to export mm_struct
> and init_mm through vmcore.

How many offsets/sizes will be required to walk all tasks?
If kernel maintainers accept it, I will not oppose that feature..

(or it would be simpler to mark the pages something special when allocating,
but I don't feel like it's easy to change kernel to do so.)

Thanks,
Kazu

@ 2020-09-14  4:55   ` piliu
From: piliu @ 2020-09-14  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁), kexec

On 09/11/2020 04:53 PM, HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) wrote:
> Hi Pingfan,

At present, I think only the info "arg_start, arg_end, env_start,
env_end" in mm_struct are required.
> If kernel maintainers accept it, I will not oppose that feature..
OK, I will start with kernel side as the first step.

> (or it would be simpler to mark the pages something special when allocating,
> but I don't feel like it's easy to change kernel to do so.)
Yes, I agree. From kernel side, the page is a normal user space page,
there should not be exception.

@ 2020-09-14  8:15     ` HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁)
From: HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) @ 2020-09-14  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: piliu, kexec

> On 09/11/2020 04:53 PM, HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) wrote:
> > Hi Pingfan,

ah what I wanted to ask mainly was the number of the offsets/sizes used to
walk through all (user) tasks in a system, because makedumpfile cannot get
to a task's arg_start only with OFFSET(mm_struct.arg_start).  Is it easy
enough to do it only with several vmcoreinfo entries?

Thanks,
Kazu

@ 2020-09-14  8:30       ` piliu
From: piliu @ 2020-09-14  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁), kexec

On 09/14/2020 04:15 PM, HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) wrote:
> [...]
Yes, it is. Iterating over tasks requires to expose
OFFSET(mm_struct.mmlist, and &init_mm. Then for each mm_struct, we need
an access to "arg_start, arg_end, env_start,env_end"

@ 2020-09-14  9:15         ` HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁)
From: HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) @ 2020-09-14  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: piliu, kexec

> On 09/14/2020 04:15 PM, HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) wrote:

Hmm, but a Fedora 32 machine has an empty init_mm.mmlist.
(because of no used swap?)

crash> p init_mm.mmlist
$1 = {
  next = 0xffffffff826ee200 <init_mm+160>,
  prev = 0xffffffff826ee200 <init_mm+160>
}
crash> swap
SWAP_INFO_STRUCT    TYPE       SIZE       USED     PCT  PRI  FILENAME
ffff8badb5385a00  PARTITION  4153340k      0k       0%   -2  /dev/dm-1

I might be still missing something.

Thanks,
Kazu

* Re: makedumpfile: a feature question about filtering
@ 2020-09-15  2:30           ` piliu
From: piliu @ 2020-09-15  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁), kexec

On 09/14/2020 05:15 PM, HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) wrote:
> [...]
Aha, sorry that I made a mistake and mmlist is not used to organize all
the mm any more.

In order to access all mm_strcut in the system, init_task.tasks
linked-list should be exposed, and for each task we can access its
mm_struct by OFFSET(task_struct.mm), then OFFSET(mm_struct.arg_start).

> crash> p init_mm.mmlist
> $1 = {
>   next = 0xffffffff826ee200 <init_mm+160>,
>   prev = 0xffffffff826ee200 <init_mm+160>
> }
> crash> swap
> SWAP_INFO_STRUCT    TYPE       SIZE       USED     PCT  PRI  FILENAME
> ffff8badb5385a00  PARTITION  4153340k      0k       0%   -2  /dev/dm-1
>
> I might be still missing something.
You are right. And could you foresee any problem with my new try?

@ 2020-09-16  8:40             ` HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁)
From: HAGIO KAZUHITO(萩尾 一仁) @ 2020-09-16  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: piliu, kexec

Hi Pingfan,

> >> Yes, it is. Iterating over tasks requires to expose
> >> OFFSET(mm_struct.mmlist, and &init_mm. Then for each mm_struct, we need
> >> an access to "arg_start, arg_end, env_start,env_end"
> >
> > Hmm, but a Fedora 32 machine has an empty init_mm.mmlist.
> > (because of no used swap?)
> Aha, sorry that I made a mistake and mmlist is not used to organize all
> the mm any more.
>
> In order to access all mm_strcut in the system, init_task.tasks
> linked-list should be exposed, and for each task we can access its
> mm_struct by OFFSET(task_struct.mm), then OFFSET(mm_struct.arg_start).
> >
> > crash> p init_mm.mmlist
> > $1 = {
> >   next = 0xffffffff826ee200 <init_mm+160>,
> >   prev = 0xffffffff826ee200 <init_mm+160>
> > }
> > crash> swap
> > SWAP_INFO_STRUCT    TYPE       SIZE       USED     PCT  PRI  FILENAME
> > ffff8badb5385a00  PARTITION  4153340k      0k       0%   -2  /dev/dm-1
> >
> > I might be still missing something.
> You are right. And could you foresee any problem with my new try?

as far as I took a glance at copy_process(), it looks good.

                if (thread_group_leader(p)) {
                        list_add_tail_rcu(&p->tasks, &init_task.tasks);

Thanks,
Kazu