* Kernel 2.4.20
@ 2003-07-24  3:19 David Munn
From: David Munn @ 2003-07-24  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-hams

Hi All......have been putting Slackware 9.0 onto a 2ghz h/d for use with
packet......i set it up with all the ax25 progs....libax25...ax25
utils...ax25 tools  etc and then configured it to use my SB16 soundcard on
4800 bd.....
when i modprobe soundmodem i get a warning message that the driver could
corrupt the kernel and also ...no licence....

thought this might be a problem with the Slackware distro but also have this
Kernel loaded on my Red Hat machine...have checked this one also and found
the same Warning message when i ...modprobe soundmodem.....

has there been a patch for this problem.....it is not in the 2.4.19 kernel
.....will have to go back to Red Hat 7.3 to setup my packet machine if there
isnt...

73s to you all
David Munn
VK4BDJ

* RE: Kernel 2.4.20
@ 2003-07-24  4:57 ` Jeremy Utley
From: Jeremy Utley @ 2003-07-24  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Nothing to worry about - just some changes in the 2.4.20 kernel that
look for a flag in the kernel module to reflect what license it's
provided
under.  Because this flag is not present, modprobe throws up a warning
message - but the module should still work.

Jeremy

* Re: Kernel 2.4.20
@ 2003-07-24  8:01 ` Riley Williams
From: Riley Williams @ 2003-07-24  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Munn, Linux-hams

Hi David.

 > Hi All...have been putting Slackware 9.0 onto a 2ghz h/d for use
 > with packet...I set it up with all the ax25 progs...libax25...ax25
 > utils...ax25 tools etc and then configured it to use my SB16
 > soundcard on 4800 bd...when I modprobe soundmodem I get a warning
 > message that the driver could corrupt the kernel and also ...no
 > licence....

The warning that the soundmodem driver could corrupt the kernel IS
important. This will be connected with the fact that the kernel
soundmodem driver is depreciated, and regarded as obsolete, with the
current recommendation being to use the user-mode soundmodem tool in
its place.

The warning about no licence is probably a side-effect of that driver
being regarded as obsolete, with the only future patches concerning
it likely to be ones that just strip it out of the kernel altogether.
Indeed, that happened in the 2.5 series some time ago, and there is
no soundmodem driver in the current 2.6-test series as a result. As
Jeremy has already stated, this warning is because of a requirement
that each module state the licence it is released under, and it has
no effect on the functionality of that module.

Best wishes from Riley G7GOD / KB8PPG
---
 * Nothing as pretty as a smile, nothing as ugly as a frown.

---

* Re: kernel 2.4.20
@ 2004-01-13 15:51 ` Ducrot Bruno
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2004-01-13 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gojyo; +Cc: cpufreq

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:10:42AM -0800, gojyo wrote:
> I need to patch a 2.4.20 kernel; however, with the last release of cpufreq for 2.4 kernels I have lot of patch errors. In the ftp archive I can't understand which version I need, can you help me please? Which release do I need for 2.4.20 kernel?

You have 2 solutions:
1- integrate by hand the rejected patch,
2- use cvs with:

cvs -d:pserver:cvs@pubcvs.arm.linux.org.uk:/mnt/src/cvsroot co -rlinux_2_4_old cpufreq

which was done before the new core for 2.4 was updated (first done for
linux-2.4.21 IIRC).

BUT this one is old and contains well known bugs that have been fixed.

If I were you, I will integrate by hand the latest (that should be not
so hard).

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.

* kernel 2.4.20
@ 2004-01-13 11:10 gojyo
From: gojyo @ 2004-01-13 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cpufreq

I need to patch a 2.4.20 kernel; however, with the last release of cpufreq for 2.4 kernels I have lot of patch errors. In the ftp archive I can't understand which version I need, can you help me please? Which release do I need for 2.4.20 kernel?

Open a Private 6MB Email account today, for Free!
----- http://www.killamail.com -----

* Re: kernel 2.4.20
@ 2003-05-23 18:51 ` Jan Knutar
From: Jan Knutar @ 2003-05-23 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gurpreet Singh (SCM), linux-kernel

> I am getting the boot error / message at boot while loading the lilo.

It would be highly useful, if you provided more detail about what sort
of error you are getting. Sounds to me like you made a mistake with
setting up lilo properly for the new kernel.

* kernel 2.4.20
@ 2003-05-23  6:19 Gurpreet Singh (SCM)
From: Gurpreet Singh (SCM) @ 2003-05-23  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi

I need to study / install  the RSBAC - ACL model.

The Kernel package I downloaded  is   linux-2.4.20-rsbac-v1.2.2-pre5
I am getting the boot error / message at boot while loading the lilo.
Currently I am having 2.4.7 version Kernel.

Any inupts for the resources for it.. Has any one tried this stuff ?

Thanks in advance

Gurpreet S

* Re: Kernel 2.4.20
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2003-02-25 17:47   ` Jun Sun
From: Jun Sun @ 2003-02-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff; +Cc: linux-mips, jsun

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 03:58:51PM +0800, jeff wrote:
> Dear All,
>     I am trying to porting NEC Vr4131 platform from 2.4.16 to 2.4.20 but I found some problem.
> In kernel 2.4.16, the kernel entry is 0x80002470 but the kernel entry in 2.4.20 is 0x801xxxxx
> So my problem is how to change the kernel entry from 0x801xxxxx to be 0x8000xxxx? or how
> to test this kernel when the kernel entry is 0x801xxxxx?

Change LOADADDR to 0x80002000 in arch/mips/Makefile.  If you
want to learn more about it, see

http://linux.junsun.net/porting-howto/porting-howto.html#chapter-directory

Jun

* Re: Kernel 2.4.20
  (?)
@ 2003-02-25  9:42           ` Thiemo Seufer
From: Thiemo Seufer @ 2003-02-25  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff; +Cc: linux-mips

jeff wrote:
> Dear Thiemo,
>     We modified the head.S and the kernel_entry change to 0x80000798
> (check from System.map) and we download this kernel to RAM address
> 0x80000000 and jump to 0x8000798 to execute.

By adding a pre_kernel_entry() there, I guess.

> It show EXCEPTION...
> And our bootloader will not handle ELF file format. But after build the kernel
> image, we got two image, vmlinux and vmlinux.binary. vmlinux is FLE file
> format and vmlinux.binary is only data (check by file). We download
> vmlinux.binary to test.

One more guess: The conversion to binary lost some important section.

Thiemo

* RE: Kernel 2.4.20
@ 2003-02-25  8:46           ` jeff
From: jeff @ 2003-02-25  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thiemo Seufer; +Cc: linux-mips

Dear Thiemo,
    We modified the head.S and the kernel_entry change to 0x80000798
(check from System.map) and we download this kernel to RAM address
0x80000000 and jump to 0x8000798 to execute. It show EXCEPTION...
And our bootloader will not handle ELF file format. But after build the kernel
image, we got two image, vmlinux and vmlinux.binary. vmlinux is FLE file
format and vmlinux.binary is only data (check by file). We download
vmlinux.binary to test.

Regards,

Jeff

> I try to modify the /arch/mips/ld.script.in or /arch/mips/kernel/head.S

This won't help. The entry address is where the linker happens to
place the entry function. It may vary even for slight differences
in Kernel compilation.

> but still can't work (entry is changed but kernel can't work).

What does "can't work" mean? What happens exactly?

What sort of bootloader are you using? Normally it is able to
handle ELF properly, which makes this thing work automatically.

> Do I make any mistake?

Sounds so.

Thiemo

* Re: Kernel 2.4.20
  (?)
@ 2003-02-25  8:33       ` Thiemo Seufer
From: Thiemo Seufer @ 2003-02-25  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff; +Cc: linux-mips

jeff wrote:
> Dear Thiemo,
>     Thanks for your quickly response.
> I try to modify the /arch/mips/ld.script.in or /arch/mips/kernel/head.S

This won't help. The entry address is where the linker happens to
place the entry function. It may vary even for slight differences
in Kernel compilation.

> but still can't work (entry is changed but kernel can't work).

What does "can't work" mean? What happens exactly?

What sort of bootloader are you using? Normally it is able to
handle ELF properly, which makes this thing work automatically.

> Do I make any mistake?

Sounds so.

Thiemo

* RE: Kernel 2.4.20
@ 2003-02-25  8:17       ` jeff
From: jeff @ 2003-02-25  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thiemo Seufer; +Cc: linux-mips

Dear Thiemo,
    Thanks for your quickly response.
I try to modify the /arch/mips/ld.script.in or /arch/mips/kernel/head.S
but still can't work (entry is changed but kernel can't work). Do I make
any mistake?

Thanks

Jeff @ Coventive

>     I am trying to porting NEC Vr4131 platform from 2.4.16 to 2.4.20 but I found some problem.
> In kernel 2.4.16, the kernel entry is 0x80002470 but the kernel entry in 2.4.20 is 0x801xxxxx

That's just normal, the entry is variable.

> So my problem is how to change the kernel entry from 0x801xxxxx to be 0x8000xxxx? or how
> to test this kernel when the kernel entry is 0x801xxxxx?

The entry address is encoded in the ELF header at the beginning of vmlinux
(as it is for all other ELF executables). The header's layout can be found
e.g. in linux/include/linux/elf.h.

Thiemo

* RE: Kernel 2.4.20
@ 2003-02-25  8:17       ` jeff

@ 2003-02-25  8:03   ` Thiemo Seufer
From: Thiemo Seufer @ 2003-02-25  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff; +Cc: linux-mips

@ 2003-02-25  7:58   ` jeff
From: jeff @ 2003-02-25  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Dear All,
    I am trying to porting NEC Vr4131 platform from 2.4.16 to 2.4.20 but I found some problem.
In kernel 2.4.16, the kernel entry is 0x80002470 but the kernel entry in 2.4.20 is 0x801xxxxx
So my problem is how to change the kernel entry from 0x801xxxxx to be 0x8000xxxx? or how
to test this kernel when the kernel entry is 0x801xxxxx?

Thanks for everyone's help

Jeff @ Coventive

* Kernel 2.4.20
@ 2003-02-25  7:58   ` jeff