* LK201 keyboard
@ 2003-10-21 13:10 Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2003-10-21 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hi!

I'm currently reworking the LK201 keyboard driver to attach it to the
new Input API, as well as letting it use the serio interface (-> this
way, you're not bound to dz.c/zs.c).

I've got a little problem with it, though. I've got docs (for the VAX)
which describe the LK201 in detail. First of all, the "Set LEDs On"
command is wrong there (advertised as 0x12, but 0x13 actually works;
this is what the current driver uses, too). That may be a typo, though..

However, the "Set Mode" command (to set the repeat mode for a block of
keys) doesn't work for me on a lk201. Using a lk401 instead, these
commands work. Every time I send a set-mode command, I get a Input Error
(from the keyboard) sent back...

I'd like to ask you DECstation users to verify that the set-mode command
actually works for you on a lk201... Or do you all use the newer lk401?

MfG, JBG

* Re: LK201 keyboard
@ 2003-10-21 13:51 ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2003-10-21 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Benedict Glaw; +Cc: linux-mips

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> I'm currently reworking the LK201 keyboard driver to attach it to the
> new Input API, as well as letting it use the serio interface (-> this
> way, you're not bound to dz.c/zs.c).

 Thanks for your effort and please cooperate -- I have some have
half-baked patches for the driver to let it pass native codes for the raw
mode as appropriate.

> I've got a little problem with it, though. I've got docs (for the VAX)
> which describe the LK201 in detail. First of all, the "Set LEDs On"
> command is wrong there (advertised as 0x12, but 0x13 actually works;
> this is what the current driver uses, too). That may be a typo, though..

 This is definitely a typo -- 0x12 is a Set Mode command (mode: 1, key
group: 2; a repeat register number follows).  The definitions in lk201.h
have been verified to be correct.

> However, the "Set Mode" command (to set the repeat mode for a block of
> keys) doesn't work for me on a lk201. Using a lk401 instead, these
> commands work. Every time I send a set-mode command, I get a Input Error
> (from the keyboard) sent back...

 Strange -- these work for me.

> I'd like to ask you DECstation users to verify that the set-mode command
> actually works for you on a lk201... Or do you all use the newer lk401?

 I have an LK201 and the current code was tested almost exclusively with
it.

* Re: LK201 keyboard
@ 2003-10-21 20:23   ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2003-10-21 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

On Tue, 2003-10-21 15:51:21 +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
wrote in message <Pine.GSO.3.96.1031021152207.23366D-100000@delta.ds2.pg.gda.pl>:
> > However, the "Set Mode" command (to set the repeat mode for a block of
> > keys) doesn't work for me on a lk201. Using a lk401 instead, these
> > commands work. Every time I send a set-mode command, I get a Input Error
> > (from the keyboard) sent back...
>
>  Strange -- these work for me.

What the "old" lk driver uses is more-or-less what could be referred as
power-on configuration. Even if there are set mode commande - if they
were ignored, it would silently work as expected. Could you set all
groups to "DOWN_UP_MODE" and verify that it no longer works?

MfG, JBG

* Re: LK201 keyboard
@ 2003-10-22 13:56     ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2003-10-22 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Benedict Glaw; +Cc: linux-mips

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> What the "old" lk driver uses is more-or-less what could be referred as
> power-on configuration. Even if there are set mode commande - if they
> were ignored, it would silently work as expected. Could you set all
> groups to "DOWN_UP_MODE" and verify that it no longer works?

 No problem -- I'll look at it.  We'll need the down/up mode for X11, so
it has to work.  Note: the LK4xx series keyboards start in the LK201
compatibility mode -- they have to be switched to the native mode with a
command if desired, so unless you are reprogramming your LK401 to its
native mode, what works for it should also work for the LK201.

* Re: LK201 keyboard
@ 2003-10-22 17:34       ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2003-10-22 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

On Wed, 2003-10-22 15:56:02 +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
wrote in message <Pine.GSO.3.96.1031022155154.11598B-100000@delta.ds2.pg.gda.pl>:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>  No problem -- I'll look at it.  We'll need the down/up mode for X11, so
> it has to work.  Note: the LK4xx series keyboards start in the LK201

Erm, is this even correct if this keyboard isn't used "natively" by X11,
but through the Input API?

MfG, JBG

* Re: LK201 keyboard
@ 2003-10-22 17:55         ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2003-10-22 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Benedict Glaw; +Cc: linux-mips

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> >  No problem -- I'll look at it.  We'll need the down/up mode for X11, so
> > it has to work.  Note: the LK4xx series keyboards start in the LK201
>
> Erm, is this even correct if this keyboard isn't used "natively" by X11,
> but through the Input API?

 For the console (or the cooked mode) we already set up the device
correctly.

* Re: LK201 keyboard
@ 2003-10-23  8:37           ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2003-10-23  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

On Wed, 2003-10-22 19:55:58 +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
wrote in message <Pine.GSO.3.96.1031022195223.11598O-100000@delta.ds2.pg.gda.pl>:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > Erm, is this even correct if this keyboard isn't used "natively" by X11,
> > but through the Input API?
>
>  For the console (or the cooked mode) we already set up the device
> correctly.

That doesn't exactly answer my question, but I think I'll figure it out
at some time:) At least, if I get XFree through the compiler at some
time (on a VAX).

MfG, JBG

* Re: LK201 keyboard
@ 2003-10-29 17:11               ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2003-10-29 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Benedict Glaw; +Cc: linux-mips

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> > > Erm, is this even correct if this keyboard isn't used "natively" by X11,
> > > but through the Input API?
> >
> >  For the console (or the cooked mode) we already set up the device
> > correctly.
>
> That doesn't exactly answer my question, but I think I'll figure it out
> at some time:) At least, if I get XFree through the compiler at some
> time (on a VAX).

 I've just misunderstood the question -- sorry.  For XFree86 the current
state is the "native" support doesn't work as of 3.3.6 (that's what I
have) because of broken mappings both in the kernel and in XFree86 and
that version doesn't support the input API AFAIK.  I'm told the "native"
support doesn't work for newer versions of XFree86, either, and I haven't
seen any reports about the input API.

From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2003-10-29 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Benedict Glaw; +Cc: linux-mips