* Fan control on Sony Vaio PCG-NVR23
@ 2004-02-02  7:01 Marco Bertola
From: Marco Bertola @ 2004-02-02  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

 (Athlon 1.5Ghz, 256Mb, 30Gb, nVidia Geforce 4)

 Ok here is it:
 under linux the fan is whirring constantly (very annoying).
 After trying around I found a useful bug.

 echo 5 > /proc/acpi/sleep

 This normally should turn off the machine but instead it > seems as if puts
 the cpu in some "cooler" mode, the temperature drops to 56-57
 and the fan
 turns off (and back on when temp goes up). The computer becomes really
 quiet (even more than in windoze!)
 No appreciable performance loss (it is not a throttling state change).

 In other words ACPI seems to be doing what it is supposed to do

 This happens ONLY with kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk (out-of-the box
 Mandrake 9.1)
              ^^^^
 there are drawbacks: firewire (raw1394)
  port is broken with acpi, I have to reboot
 with acpi=off if I want to use it (DV input), the mike (yes! the
 microphone!) does not work with acpi, occasionally it hangs (VERY
 rarely, basically only if I play bzflag (?!): but now I have
 ext3 and recovery is as long as a normal reboot. Not too bad!)

 I have tried compiling other kernels (2.4.22, 2.6.0, 2.6.1, you name
 it, with or without APM (which may conflict))
 I have tried Fedora (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
 No avail.

 Note that in all these other kernels the acpi support IS
 present, I can
 check the temperature -which NEVER drops below 68, hence the fan not
 stopping, I guess- (the directory /proc/acpi is identical as far as I
 can see)
 And in these kernels the sleepstate 5 does what's supposed to
 do: unceremoniously shut the machine down.

 I would like not to be stuck with Mandrake 9.1, but the noise is
 unbearable otherwise.

 Anybody has any idea of why this happens/how to make it
 happen "the right
 way" (and keeping stability)?

 Thanks
 Marco

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn

* RE: Fan control on Sony Vaio PCG-NVR23
@ 2004-02-03  8:01 Yu, Luming
From: Yu, Luming @ 2004-02-03  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Bertola, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

>  under linux the fan is whirring constantly (very annoying).
>  After trying around I found a useful bug.
>
>  echo 5 > /proc/acpi/sleep
>
>  This normally should turn off the machine but instead it >
> seems as if puts
>  the cpu in some "cooler" mode, the temperature drops to 56-57
>  and the fan
>  turns off (and back on when temp goes up). The computer
> becomes really
>  quiet (even more than in windoze!)
>  No appreciable performance loss (it is not a throttling
> state change).

To bad, Sleep 5 was intended  for Soft Power Off.

>  In other words ACPI seems to be doing what it is supposed to do
>
>  This happens ONLY with kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk (out-of-the box
>  Mandrake 9.1)
>               ^^^^

Please send us with disassembly DSDT to verify what's the expected
behaviour ?

>  there are drawbacks: firewire (raw1394)
>   port is broken with acpi, I have to reboot
>  with acpi=off if I want to use it (DV input), the mike (yes! the
>  microphone!) does not work with acpi, occasionally it hangs (VERY
>  rarely, basically only if I play bzflag (?!): but now I have
>  ext3 and recovery is as long as a normal reboot. Not too bad!)
>
>  I have tried compiling other kernels (2.4.22, 2.6.0, 2.6.1, you name
>  it, with or without APM (which may conflict))
>  I have tried Fedora (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
>  No avail.

This sounds like another bug!

>  Note that in all these other kernels the acpi support IS
>  present, I can
>  check the temperature -which NEVER drops below 68, hence the fan not
>  stopping, I guess- (the directory /proc/acpi is identical as far as I
>  can see)

This is bug  --- NEVER drops below 68!.

Luming

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn