* alsa-driver-1.0.6a unresolved symbol
@ 2004-10-09  9:13 Mario Loritz
From: Mario Loritz @ 2004-10-09  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello everyone,

On my system, alsa-driver-1.0.6a and alsa-lib-1.0.6 compile and
install fine, but when the soung server is restarted (by rcalsasound restart)
the new compiled driver cant be loaded.

Error message:

Shutting down sound driver: done
Starting sound driver: snd-intel8x0 /lib/modules/2.4.21-243-athlon/kernel/
sound/acore/snd.o: unresolved symbol snd_compat_strlcpy_Rb4409a1e
/lib/modules/2.4.21-243-athlon/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: insmod /lib/
modules/2.4.21-243-athlon/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.21-243-athlon/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: insmod snd-intel8x0
failed
done

I think I've seen this error before in an earlier version of alsa.
There, it could be fixed...

Greetings,
Mario Loritz

System Information:
SuSE-Linux 9.0 kernel 2.4.21-243-athlon
Realtek ALC850
Athlon64, nforce3 250Gb Chipset

* Re: alsa-driver-1.0.6a unresolved symbol
@ 2004-10-09 12:59 ` Florian Schmidt
From: Florian Schmidt @ 2004-10-09 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Loritz; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:13:32 +0200
Mario Loritz <loritz@fh-furtwangen.de> wrote:

> I think I've seen this error before in an earlier version of alsa.
> There, it could be fixed...

I don't think this is an alsa error. This is rather a module build error.
Make sure your kernel source tree is in a suitable state for building
modules against it.

flo

* Re: alsa-driver-1.0.6a unresolved symbol
@ 2004-10-09 22:29   ` Mario Loritz
From: Mario Loritz @ 2004-10-09 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Am Samstag, 9. Oktober 2004 14:59 schrieb Florian Schmidt:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:13:32 +0200
>
> Mario Loritz <loritz@fh-furtwangen.de> wrote:
> > I think I've seen this error before in an earlier version of alsa.
> > There, it could be fixed...
>
> I don't think this is an alsa error. This is rather a module build error.
> Make sure your kernel source tree is in a suitable state for building
> modules against it.
>
> flo

Could you, in short words, explain why alsa-1.0.5 compiles just fine
and alsa-1.0.6 doesn't?
And yes, the last time I observed this error it was gone with a new
alsa release.

Greetings
Mario Loritz

* Re: alsa-driver-1.0.6a unresolved symbol
@ 2004-10-11 11:58     ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2004-10-11 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Loritz; +Cc: alsa-devel

Mario Loritz wrote:
> Am Samstag, 9. Oktober 2004 14:59 schrieb Florian Schmidt:
> > I don't think this is an alsa error. This is rather a module build error.
> > Make sure your kernel source tree is in a suitable state for building
> > modules against it.
>
> Could you, in short words, explain why alsa-1.0.5 compiles just fine
> and alsa-1.0.6 doesn't?

In 1.0.6, I moved snd_compat_strlcpy() to another module.

It may be possible that you didn't reload the snd-page-alloc module
(usually this is _not_ done by the alsa script).

HTH
Clemens

* Re: alsa-driver-1.0.6a unresolved symbol [SOLVED]
@ 2004-10-15 15:27       ` Mario Loritz
From: Mario Loritz @ 2004-10-15 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Am Montag, 11. Oktober 2004 13:58 schrieb Clemens Ladisch:

> In 1.0.6, I moved snd_compat_strlcpy() to another module.
>
> It may be possible that you didn't reload the snd-page-alloc module
> (usually this is _not_ done by the alsa script).
>

> HTH
> Clemens

It was exactly that problem. Thank you!

Greetings,