* 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps ISA cards
@ 2003-11-03 15:51 Miguel González Castaños
From: Miguel González Castaños @ 2003-11-03 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Dear all,

 I have a 486 working as a router using linux RedHat 7.3. It has two
3Com ISA cards, a Etherlink Fast 100 Mbps (driver 3c515) and Etherlink
III 10 Mbps (driver 3c509).

 The router is connected to a cable modem through the 10 Mbps ISA card
and the other one interfaces with a switch-hub to the LAN.

 I am considering if due to the limits of the bandwidth of the ISA bus
if it really is worth to have a 100 Mbps to the LAN interface in the
486. If I use that 100 Mbps ISA i.e. in a Pentium III the performance
would be similar to a PCI NIC?

 Apart from that I have two kernels, one the default kernel using
modules with RH 7.3 and a monolithic 2.4.22 compiled with the drivers.

 I am having problems to configure the parameters in the monolithic
kernel for using the two NICs in the /etc/lilo.conf because the system
detects the 3c509 card, but not the 3c515. What is funny is that If I
boot using modules, it uses isapnp, I cant make them work either, but if
I reboot to the monolithic kernel then It suddenly appears to detect the
3c515. If I shutdown and boot again the monolithic kernel, says that no
3c515 card found...I´m stumped.

 Anyway I dont know if the 3c515 is trying to use the wrong IRQ. When I
succeed to recognize the 3c515 card (using the trick of booting the
modular kernel first), it seems that IRQ 10 is fine, but uses the DMA 3
channel...Is this right? What I do it´s to set the IRQs and IO base
address in the /etc/lilo.conf file, but I am wondering if those settings
are right. I downloaded the configuration tools but I only get the IO
base address and the IRQ in the 3c509 card and only the base address in
the 3c515 card. Any hints?

 Many thanks in advance

 Miguel
-

* Re: 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps ISA cards
@ 2003-11-03 23:04 ` Matías López Bergero
From: Matías López Bergero @ 2003-11-03 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miguel González Castaños; +Cc: linux-admin

Miguel González Castaños wrote:
>  I am having problems to configure the parameters in the monolithic
> kernel for using the two NICs in the /etc/lilo.conf because the system
> detects the 3c509 card, but not the 3c515. What is funny is that If I
> boot using modules, it uses isapnp, I cant make them work either, but if
> I reboot to the monolithic kernel then It suddenly appears to detect the
> 3c515. If I shutdown and boot again the monolithic kernel, says that no
> 3c515 card found...I´m stumped.

Hello,
I have the same problem in a 386SX with linux 2.4.20 with two Etherlink
III cards.
I send a mail to the maintainer of the card's driver and hi told me that
is a kernel problem, not the driver. Something with the bootup time... I
really not remember now.
Wen I Compile the kernel with the drivers has modules it works just
fine. But inside the kernel only works one card or none one.

Later happened again in a linux 2.4.22 on a PIII machine.
This time with a 3Com 3C905C Fast Etherlink card and one EEPRO100 i believe.
Same problem. the 3Com driver doesn't work compiled in the kernel with
other card on the box. If the card is alone it works. but with other one no.

Make modules && make modules_install was the solution for me.
If u find something more about this issue please let my know.

Best Regards!
Matías.

-

* Re: 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps ISA cards
@ 2003-11-04  6:57   ` Horia Chirculescu
From: Horia Chirculescu @ 2003-11-04  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matías López Bergero
  Cc: Miguel González Castaños, linux-admin

Here is the help from make config:

"If your card is not working you may need to use the DOS
setup disk to disable Plug & Play mode, and to select the default
media type."

This is from the EtherLink III (3c509) support (kernel 2.4.20).

You should do that for your 509 card and use the kernel compiled with
support for that cards that you want to use.

I suppose that you did not forget about the "append ether=0,0,eth1"

The firs "0" is for autoIRQ and the second "0" is for specifying that all
I/O addresses are to be probed. It is better to let the kernel to
auto-probe (aka 0,0,eth1) for the card that you have. If you still have
problems, you should pass the correct parameters (addr, IRQ) to
the kernel directly.

I hope that this will help you.

Have a nice day from ROMANIA !

                           ____    ____    o           ~
               //     //  / __ \  //   \  // //''''  //\\
              //_____//  / / / / //___ / // //      //  \\
             //     //  / /_/ / // \    // //      //____\\
            //     //   \____/ //   \  //  \\.... //      \\
                          Comtec Net Romania
         WEB: www.eltop.ro IRC: irc.eltop.ro NEWS: news.eltop.ro
                    Horia Chirculescu root@eltop.ro
                        Connex: +40 723 205 086
			Zapp:   +40 788 374 059

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, [ISO-8859-1] Matías López Bergero wrote:

> Miguel González Castaños wrote:
> >  I am having problems to configure the parameters in the monolithic
> > kernel for using the two NICs in the /etc/lilo.conf because the system
> > detects the 3c509 card, but not the 3c515. What is funny is that If I
> > boot using modules, it uses isapnp, I cant make them work either, but if
> > I reboot to the monolithic kernel then It suddenly appears to detect the
> > 3c515. If I shutdown and boot again the monolithic kernel, says that no
> > 3c515 card found...I´m stumped.
>
> Hello,
> I have the same problem in a 386SX with linux 2.4.20 with two Etherlink
> III cards.
> I send a mail to the maintainer of the card's driver and hi told me that
> is a kernel problem, not the driver. Something with the bootup time... I
> really not remember now.
> Wen I Compile the kernel with the drivers has modules it works just
> fine. But inside the kernel only works one card or none one.
>
> Later happened again in a linux 2.4.22 on a PIII machine.
> This time with a 3Com 3C905C Fast Etherlink card and one EEPRO100 i believe.
> Same problem. the 3Com driver doesn't work compiled in the kernel with
> other card on the box. If the card is alone it works. but with other one no.
>
> Make modules && make modules_install was the solution for me.
> If u find something more about this issue please let my know.
>
> Best Regards!
> Matías.
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in

-

* Re: 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps ISA cards
@ 2003-12-07  1:37 ` Miguel González Castaños
From: Miguel González Castaños @ 2003-12-07  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cor; +Cc: linux-admin

Sorry for getting back to this topic. I have been playing around and still I
cant figure out how to use achieve this.

I have downloaded the configuration tools but I cant make the tool for the
3c515 to work and detect the NIC...And about the 3c509 It says that the PNP is
disabled but still the .bat which is meant to disable pnp says that it doesnt
work!

Anyway If I succesfully disable pnp in both NICS should I still use isapnp
support in the kernel? The default kernel from RedHat enables it and does
work...

Any help will be apreciated.

Many thanks

Miguel

Cor ha escrito:

       [not found] ` <3FA768A1.F31AAA92@tid.es>
@ 2003-11-04  9:04   ` Cor
From: Cor @ 2003-11-04  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

At 09:51 4-11-03 +0100, Miguel wrote:
> > More info can be found on
> > http://www.sambadance.com/3c509/3c509_v120.html
> >
> > Greetz,
> > Cor Lem
>
>Many thanks but which 3Com configuration tool you are talking about? How can I
>disable pnp ? I didnt compile the kernel with isapnp support and the mother
>and in the bios I didnt see any pnp option (I will double check anyway...).

You need 3C5X9CFG.EXE. Boot from a windooz / dos diskette and run it and
you can set io / irq and disable plug and play.

It can be found in
ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/nic/3c509/3c509x2.exe

Link for this found on
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509/3c5096.1.htm

Hope this helps

Greetz,
Cor Lem

* Re: 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps ISA cards
@ 2003-11-04  8:58 ` Miguel González Castaños
From: Miguel González Castaños @ 2003-11-04  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

@ 2003-11-04  8:54 Cor
From: Cor @ 2003-11-04  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

At 16:51 3-11-03 +0100, Miguel wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>  I have a 486 working as a router using linux RedHat 7.3. It has two
>3Com ISA cards, a Etherlink Fast 100 Mbps (driver 3c515) and Etherlink
>III 10 Mbps (driver 3c509).
[snip]