* files as harddrives?
@ 2003-07-21 21:40 Bryan Stillwell
From: Bryan Stillwell @ 2003-07-21 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

I have a dos program that I'm trying to get to work, but I haven't found
a way to get a file under linux to behave as a drive under dosemu.  For
the dos program to work, it must believe that the filesystem image under
linux is a drive in the dosemu bios.  The old wholedisk option looks
like it would work, but I'm using version 1.0.2.1-7 (from Debian stable)
and it appears to not be available.

The dos program I want to get working is called ltools, which is a set
of utilities to read linux filesystems.  The web page can be found here:

http://www.it.fht-esslingen.de/~zimmerma/software/ltools/ltools.html

I'm trying to automate a portion of our testing process that requires
generating signatures of files read off an ext2 filesystem that are
located on a compact flash.  The signature generating program is run
after ltools is used to copy the files off the compact flash, and it is
also a dos program.  Since this is a verification test, I must maintain
the process as close as possible, so things like copying the files to
the dos directory beforehand won't work.

Anyone here have a filesystem image working as a harddrive under dosemu
with the latest stable version?  I've got it mostly working under bochs,
but it's slow and I would rather use dosemu if I can.

Thanks,
Bryan

* Re: files as harddrives?
@ 2003-07-22 16:37 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2003-07-22 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Bryan Stillwell wrote:
> It may be easier to think of it as a hard drive image
> (actually compact flash image) with the boot sector and
> partition information at the front of the file.
See "man mkfatimage16" - it is exactly what you need.

* Re: files as harddrives?
@ 2003-07-23 18:17 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2003-07-23 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Bryan Stillwell wrote:
>>> It may be easier to think of it as a hard drive image
>>>  (actually compact flash image) with the boot sector
>>> and partition information at the front of the file.
> AFAICT, dosemu used to support this behaviour with the
> wholedisk option on older versions, but that
> functionality has been removed
I don't think it was removed. It is more
like it was disabled in global.conf.
A quick hack, such as modifying the line
650 from "disk { image $yyy }" to something
like "disk { wholedisk /dev/hda }" will still
work if you cheat dosemu by setting $_hdimage
to an existing image so that this line in
global.conf is reached.
However, what you do you'll still not be able
to achieve. Dosemu needs to get a disk geometry
before it can work with it as a wholedisk.
It uses a HDIO_GETGEO ioctl command for that.
This is not possible to do with an image file,
therefore the image file must have some kind of
a header to provide a geometry - that's why the
mkfatimage16 exists.
So mainly, it seems if you do a simple image
file from your flash drive, there is not enough
info to get any use of it - the geometry is also
required.

* Re: files as harddrives?
@ 2003-08-05  3:26 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2003-08-05  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Bryan Stillwell wrote:
> Your mention of mkfatimage16 caused me to look around in
> the source tree a little, and I found mkhdimage in
> src/tools/periph/
mkfatimage16 is also there and they both
are in a "bin" dir after "make" and are
installed by "make install".
mkfatimage is a predecessor of mkfatimage16.
It lacks some features (namely FAT16 support
AFAIK, only FAT12) and I don't know what's
the use to still distribute it.

> which did exactly what I wanted!
Strange, as it seems you wanted an image of
a whole disk, not only a single FAT partition.