* RE: help needed: clogged console
@ 2004-01-02 15:15 bmcdowell
From: bmcdowell @ 2004-01-02 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orlowscy, shrike-list, redhat-list; +Cc: netfilter

Search for 'dmesg -n 1' - I think that's what you're after.

Bob

From: John A. Sullivan III @ 2004-01-02 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bmcdowell; +Cc: orlowscy, shrike-list, redhat-list, netfilter

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 10:15, bmcdowell@coxhealthplans.com wrote:
> Search for 'dmesg -n 1' - I think that's what you're after.
>

> Bob

I've been really confused by this issue.  I am also running iptables on
RedHat 9.0.  /etc/syslog.conf shows nothing being logged to the
console.  Yet, ever since applying the netfilter patch-o-matic
tcp-window patch, all of its messages appear on my console.  The
netfilter mail lists say this is a misconfiguration of syslog but it
sure looks correctly configured to me.  No other iptables messages go to
the console - just the tcp-window messages. How do I stop them!!! Thanks
- John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer

* RE: help needed: clogged console
@ 2004-01-05 12:31   ` Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 2004-01-05 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John A. Sullivan III
  Cc: bmcdowell, orlowscy, shrike-list, redhat-list, netfilter

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> > Search for 'dmesg -n 1' - I think that's what you're after.
                ^^^^^
> I've been really confused by this issue.  I am also running iptables on
> RedHat 9.0.  /etc/syslog.conf shows nothing being logged to the
> console.  Yet, ever since applying the netfilter patch-o-matic
> tcp-window patch, all of its messages appear on my console.  The
> netfilter mail lists say this is a misconfiguration of syslog but it
> sure looks correctly configured to me.  No other iptables messages go to
> the console - just the tcp-window messages. How do I stop them!!! Thanks

Default the tcp-window-tracking patch uses extensive kernel logging,
while the other parts of netfilter keeps mouth shut. You can easily
disable the logging by

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_log_invalid

Back to the console logging: klogd uses the console to display the kernel
log messages. You can alter it's default behaviour by issuing dmesg like
above or setting the proper command line switches for klogd. If you want
to send the kernel logs to other places (file/remote machine etc.), *then*
you have to configure syslogd properly.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu, kadlec@sunserv.kfki.hu
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary

* RE: help needed: clogged console
@ 2004-01-06  1:42     ` John A. Sullivan III
From: John A. Sullivan III @ 2004-01-06  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jozsef Kadlecsik; +Cc: bmcdowell, orlowscy, shrike-list, redhat-list, netfilter

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 07:31, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > > Search for 'dmesg -n 1' - I think that's what you're after.
>                 ^^^^^
> > I've been really confused by this issue.  I am also running iptables on
> > RedHat 9.0.  /etc/syslog.conf shows nothing being logged to the
> > console.  Yet, ever since applying the netfilter patch-o-matic
> > tcp-window patch, all of its messages appear on my console.  The
> > netfilter mail lists say this is a misconfiguration of syslog but it
> > sure looks correctly configured to me.  No other iptables messages go to
> > the console - just the tcp-window messages. How do I stop them!!! Thanks
>
> Default the tcp-window-tracking patch uses extensive kernel logging,
> while the other parts of netfilter keeps mouth shut. You can easily
> disable the logging by
>
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_log_invalid
>
> Back to the console logging: klogd uses the console to display the kernel
> log messages. You can alter it's default behaviour by issuing dmesg like
> above or setting the proper command line switches for klogd. If you want
> to send the kernel logs to other places (file/remote machine etc.), *then*
> you have to configure syslogd properly.
>
> Best regards,
> Jozsef
> -
> E-mail  : kadlec@blackhole.kfki.hu, kadlec@sunserv.kfki.hu
> PGP key : http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec/pgp_public_key.txt
> Address : KFKI Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics
>           H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary

Thanks.  Would you kindly confirm the /proc file.  I do not see
ip_conntrack_tcp_log_invalid.  I see ip_conntrack_tcp_invalid_scale and
ip_conntrack_tcp_log_out_of_window - John
--

@ 2004-01-06  9:13       ` Jozsef Kadlecsik
From: Jozsef Kadlecsik @ 2004-01-06  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John A. Sullivan III
  Cc: bmcdowell, orlowscy, shrike-list, redhat-list, netfilter

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> > echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_log_invalid
>
> Thanks.  Would you kindly confirm the /proc file.  I do not see
> ip_conntrack_tcp_log_invalid.  I see ip_conntrack_tcp_invalid_scale and
> ip_conntrack_tcp_log_out_of_window - John

You use an old version of the tcp-window-tracking patch.

ip_conntrack_tcp_log_invalid_scale and ip_conntrack_tcp_log_out_of_window
were integrated into the single ip_conntrack_tcp_log_invalid (besides
bugfixes and robustness improvements in the new release).

Best regards,
Jozsef
-

@ 2004-01-02 12:56 ` involved
From: involved @ 2004-01-02 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi,

I also had that problem.. I use "dmesg -n 1" to avoid getting those kernel
messages on active consoles

Bye
i.

@ 2003-12-23 18:31 Slawomir Orlowski