* RE: RE: Linux client on Solaris 7 NFS server
@ 2003-12-30 15:50 Lever, Charles
From: Lever, Charles @ 2003-12-30 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwight; +Cc: nfs

hi dwight-

> If the Solaris Server is locking up, this is a problem with
> Solaris. It might be somehow triggered by Linux, but that is
> absolutely no excuse for a server problem. The server should
> just stay up.

i think "locking up" is a pretty general description of the
problem.  we need to have precise details from wade about
the server's behavior.  after all, it could be bad hardware,
rather than any problem specific to the NFS implementation.

> "Sensitive" should refer to performance. My experience is that
> Linux NFS clients exhibit horrible performance issues with Sun
> servers in standard, out-of-the-box configurations. That's in
> comparison to using pure Sun or pure Linux Server/Client
> combinations.

again, specific details about the problem would be very helpful.
just saying that "they exhibit horrible performance out of the
box" does not reflect the specifics of your environment, nor
what kind of analysis and tuning you did to resolve the issues.
was this a problem with default settings, or were there software,
network, or hardware issues you encountered?

* RE: RE: Linux client on Solaris 7 NFS server
@ 2003-12-30 17:58 Lever, Charles
From: Lever, Charles @ 2003-12-30 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dwight; +Cc: nfs

> Thank you for asking. I was referring to standard RedHat=20
> releases (7.x on up)
> with the default settings. I'd be interested in knowing if=20
> you or anyone
> else has any experience to the contrary.
>=20
> As far as tuning goes, that gets rather extensive, from the=20
> MTU on up to the
> NFS r/w sizes, as well as even the network topology. Since=20
> the options are
> numerous and specific to one's environment, let me ask a=20
> simpler question: Has
> anyone been able to tune a Linux-client and Solaris-server=20
> combination such
> that the speed is comparable to a pure Linux or a pure=20
> Solaris client/server
> combination? This is for heavy r/w access.=20
>=20
> As far the networking topology goes, let us assume a simple isolated
> configuration with just one dumb switch handling the client=20
> and server.
> No NIS, no automounts, etc., etc; just simple NFS mounts.=20
> This is the type
> of environment that I have been looking at the issue with lately.

does "tcp,rsize=3D32768,wsize=3D32768" work?  the Linux defaults are
UDP and r/wsize=3D4096, which work adequately with Linux servers,
but probably are trouble for Solaris.

which Linux kernels, specifically, have you tried on your clients?

what performance do you see, and what do you expect?

[parent not found: <Charles.Lever@netapp.com>]