* installing DOSEMU 1.1.5
@ 2003-07-12  7:30 Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan
From: Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan @ 2003-07-12  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hi,
I am using redhat linux version 8.0
I am a novice at linux

I installed dosemu 1.1.5
I used the following commands
./default-configure
make
make install
No errors were seen during installation

I am getting the following error when i run dosemu

can any body please help

ERROR MESSAGES
-------------
[root@localhost dosemu-1.1.5]# dosemu -home
Note that DOS needs 25 lines.
You might want to enlarge your
window before continuing.
Now type ENTER to start DOSEMU or <Ctrl>C to cancel
ERROR: Unknown vnet mode o
In file included from built-in global.conf:789
from built-in global.conf:65
Error in built-in global.conf:
(line 787) Disk-device/file
/var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first doesn't exist.
1 error(s)detected while parsing the
configuration-file
[root@localhost dosemu-1.1.5]#

* Re: installing DOSEMU 1.1.5
@ 2003-07-12 11:25 ` Ged Haywood
From: Ged Haywood @ 2003-07-12 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan; +Cc: linux-msdos

Hi there,

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan wrote:

> I am using redhat linux version 8.0
> I am a novice at linux

It'll get easier, I promise... :)

> I installed dosemu 1.1.5
> [snip]
> No errors were seen during installation

That's good.

> I am getting the following error when i run dosemu
> [snip]
> Note that DOS needs 25 lines.

Are you using X?  If so all you have to do is make the window bigger,
by one character I'd guess.

> ERROR: Unknown vnet mode o

No idea what this is about, not sure if it's important.

> /var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first doesn't exist.

DOSEMU doesn't provide DOS itself, so you need an image of a DOS
system somewhere in your system in order for DOSEMU to be able to
boot it.  You just have to put that image somewhere, then tell
DOSEMU where it is by editing one of the configuration files.
Check the DOSEMU documentation for how to do it.  You might find
it a little confusing if you're new to Linux (I found it a little
confusing and I'm not new:) but it is there.

73,
Ged.

* Re: installing DOSEMU 1.1.5
@ 2003-07-12 19:23 ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2003-07-12 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan wrote:

> ERROR MESSAGES
> -------------
> [root@localhost dosemu-1.1.5]# dosemu -home
> Note that DOS needs 25 lines.
> You might want to enlarge your
> window before continuing.
> Now type ENTER to start DOSEMU or <Ctrl>C to cancel
> ERROR: Unknown vnet mode o
> In file included from built-in global.conf:789
> from built-in global.conf:65
> Error in built-in global.conf:
> (line 787) Disk-device/file
> /var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first doesn't exist.
> 1 error(s)detected while parsing the
> configuration-file
> [root@localhost dosemu-1.1.5]#

Looks like an old dosemu.conf; "make install" doesn't replace it because
that would wipe out existing configurations but now it seems we lost some
backward compatibility here. In any case you can look in /etc and
/etc/dosemu for dosemu.conf files and use a new one instead (see
etc/dosemu.conf in the source tree; /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf is now the
standard location but /etc/dosemu.conf still works too).

Bart

* Re: installing DOSEMU 1.1.5
@ 2003-07-12 23:01   ` Justin Zygmont
From: Justin Zygmont @ 2003-07-12 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan, linux-msdos

I think he might not have set the $hd_image setting, or something simple.
I remember seeing this error before, and I use older dosemu.conf files
without any problem.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Bart Oldeman wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan wrote:
>
> > ERROR MESSAGES
> > -------------
> > [root@localhost dosemu-1.1.5]# dosemu -home
> > Note that DOS needs 25 lines.
> > You might want to enlarge your
> > window before continuing.
> > Now type ENTER to start DOSEMU or <Ctrl>C to cancel
> > ERROR: Unknown vnet mode o
> > In file included from built-in global.conf:789
> > from built-in global.conf:65
> > Error in built-in global.conf:
> > (line 787) Disk-device/file
> > /var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first doesn't exist.
> > 1 error(s)detected while parsing the
> > configuration-file
> > [root@localhost dosemu-1.1.5]#
>
> Looks like an old dosemu.conf; "make install" doesn't replace it because
> that would wipe out existing configurations but now it seems we lost some
> backward compatibility here. In any case you can look in /etc and
> /etc/dosemu for dosemu.conf files and use a new one instead (see
> etc/dosemu.conf in the source tree; /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf is now the
> standard location but /etc/dosemu.conf still works too).
>
> Bart
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-msdos" in

* running TCP?IP applications using WINSOCK in dosemu
@ 2003-07-13  6:02   ` Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan
From: Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan @ 2003-07-13  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: linux-msdos

Re: installing DOSEMU 1.1.\
----------------------------
Thank u very much bart
I was able to start dosemu by editing dosemu.conf
winsock
-------
Is it possible to install windows from dosemu
i.e windows 95/98
I have been able to run NCSA telnet client from dosemu
using dosnet
But is it possible to run TCP?IP applications using
WINSOCK
I found some references in the readme. But it was for
windows 3.1 and OS2
Is thre any one who has tried such applications

 --- Bart Oldeman <bartoldeman@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote: > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan
wrote:

> > ERROR MESSAGES
> > -------------
> > [root@localhost dosemu-1.1.5]# dosemu -home
> > Note that DOS needs 25 lines.
> > You might want to enlarge your
> > window before continuing.
> > Now type ENTER to start DOSEMU or <Ctrl>C to
> cancel
> > ERROR: Unknown vnet mode o
> > In file included from built-in global.conf:789
> > from built-in global.conf:65
> > Error in built-in global.conf:
> > (line 787) Disk-device/file
> > /var/lib/dosemu/hdimage.first doesn't exist.
> > 1 error(s)detected while parsing the
> > configuration-file
> > [root@localhost dosemu-1.1.5]#
>
> Looks like an old dosemu.conf; "make install"
> doesn't replace it because
> that would wipe out existing configurations but now
> it seems we lost some
> backward compatibility here. In any case you can
> look in /etc and
> /etc/dosemu for dosemu.conf files and use a new one
> instead (see
> etc/dosemu.conf in the source tree;
> /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf is now the
> standard location but /etc/dosemu.conf still works
> too).
>
> Bart
>
> -
> "unsubscribe linux-msdos" in
> More majordomo info at

* Re: running TCP?IP applications using WINSOCK in dosemu
@ 2003-07-13  7:00     ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2003-07-13  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Madhumohan MuthuKrishnan wrote:

> I found some references in the readme. But it was for
> windows 3.1 and OS2
> Is thre any one who has tried such applications

WinOS2 should run but it's been a long time since somebody tried it and
told me about it. I never did. Windows 95/98 don't run in DOSEMU -- you'd
have to look at Wine, win4lin or vmware for example.

Bart