* file lock() and share.exe
@ 2003-09-12  1:43 John Charlton
From: John Charlton @ 2003-09-12  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

I have a dos application compiled with djgpp compiler in dosemu.  A call to
the lock() function which works in native freedos (beta 8) always returns -1
(failed) in dosemu.  I first used dosemu 1.0.2.0 which installs with SuSE
Linux 8.2 distribution.  I just installed dosemu-1.1.5 and observe the exact
same behavior.  The freedos version used with dosemu-1.1.5 is:
FreeDOS kernel version 1.1.24c (Build 2024c) [Jun 10 2001 22:25:01]

Without share.exe, the lock() return code is -1 and the dos error=14 (Share
not loaded).  With the share from (http://www.dosemu.org/bart/share.zip)
loaded lock() still returns -1 with a different dos error errno=26 (No space
on drive).

I appreciate any help on this.  I have read other postings on the 'share.exe'
topic in this list, but have not seen a resolution to this problem.

--John

* Re: file lock() and share.exe
@ 2003-09-12 10:21 ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2003-09-12 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Charlton; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, John Charlton wrote:

> I have a dos application compiled with djgpp compiler in dosemu.  A call to
> the lock() function which works in native freedos (beta 8) always returns -1
> (failed) in dosemu.  I first used dosemu 1.0.2.0 which installs with SuSE
> Linux 8.2 distribution.  I just installed dosemu-1.1.5 and observe the exact
> same behavior.  The freedos version used with dosemu-1.1.5 is:
> FreeDOS kernel version 1.1.24c (Build 2024c) [Jun 10 2001 22:25:01]

you'll need to upgrade your freedos kernel. Replace your kernel.sys with
v. 2031 at http://freedos.sourceforge.net (fat16/32 doesn't matter).

Beware of "unzip" and uppercase: use "unzip -L" otherwise you end up with
KERNEL.SYS and kernel.sys.

share.exe has absolutely no effect on the "network drives" (from
lredir) that DOSEMU uses by default.

Bart

* Re: file lock() and share.exe
@ 2003-09-12 13:42   ` John Charlton
From: John Charlton @ 2003-09-12 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Friday 12 September 2003 06:21, Bart Oldeman wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, John Charlton wrote:
> > I have a dos application compiled with djgpp compiler in dosemu.  A call
> > to the lock() function which works in native freedos (beta 8) always
> > returns -1 (failed) in dosemu.  I first used dosemu 1.0.2.0 which
> > installs with SuSE Linux 8.2 distribution.  I just installed dosemu-1.1.5
> > and observe the exact same behavior.  The freedos version used with
> > dosemu-1.1.5 is:
> > FreeDOS kernel version 1.1.24c (Build 2024c) [Jun 10 2001 22:25:01]
>
> you'll need to upgrade your freedos kernel. Replace your kernel.sys with
> v. 2031 at http://freedos.sourceforge.net (fat16/32 doesn't matter).
>
> Beware of "unzip" and uppercase: use "unzip -L" otherwise you end up with
> KERNEL.SYS and kernel.sys.
>
> share.exe has absolutely no effect on the "network drives" (from
> lredir) that DOSEMU uses by default.
>
> Bart

Thank you.  This definitely does the trick!  Works as advertised.  No
share.exe loaded the lock works.

--John

* Re: file lock() and share.exe
@ 2003-09-20 22:51     ` John Charlton
From: John Charlton @ 2003-09-20 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Friday 12 September 2003 09:42, John Charlton wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2003 06:21, Bart Oldeman wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, John Charlton wrote:
> > > I have a dos application compiled with djgpp compiler in dosemu.  A
> > > call to the lock() function which works in native freedos (beta 8)
> > > always returns -1 (failed) in dosemu.  I first used dosemu 1.0.2.0
> > > which installs with SuSE Linux 8.2 distribution.  I just installed
> > > dosemu-1.1.5 and observe the exact same behavior.  The freedos version
> > > used with dosemu-1.1.5 is:
> > > FreeDOS kernel version 1.1.24c (Build 2024c) [Jun 10 2001 22:25:01]
> >
> > you'll need to upgrade your freedos kernel. Replace your kernel.sys with
> > v. 2031 at http://freedos.sourceforge.net (fat16/32 doesn't matter).
> >
> > Beware of "unzip" and uppercase: use "unzip -L" otherwise you end up with
> > KERNEL.SYS and kernel.sys.
> >
> > share.exe has absolutely no effect on the "network drives" (from
> > lredir) that DOSEMU uses by default.
> >
> > Bart
>
> Thank you.  This definitely does the trick!  Works as advertised.  No
> share.exe loaded the lock works.
>
> --John

I now have dosemu 1.1.5.0 with kernel v. 2031 fat 16 as recommended above.  It
fixes the lock() problem I was having including file lock() on an Iredir NFS
mounted file system.  After some testing, I have found a problem with this
kernel (2031) which occurs both on native freedos boot or using dosemu
1.1.5.0.  The problem occurs using stdin input and fgets() calls.  They work
one or two times then return junk without waiting for an endline enter
sequence.  Here is the function that returns without waiting for the keyboard
enter/end of line:

void chkkbd(void)
{
  int ch;
  char str[80];

  fprintf(stderr, "Hit enter to continue, s to stop, q to quit
immediately...");
  fgets(str, 80, stdin);
  fputs(str, stderr);
  ch = str[0];
  if (ch == 's' || ch == 'S') {
    bStop = TRUE;
  }
  if (ch == 'q' || ch == 'Q') {
    bQuit = TRUE;
  }
}

It is a pretty basic function.  I did use getchar() at first, with the same
result.  This function works as intended with kernel 1.1.26a (2026a) or in
linux.  With kernel 2031 it behaves as described above and if you rerun the
same program it crashes the dosemu session.

Is there an earlier kernel I can use to solve the share/lock issue and not
introduce this stdin problem?

--John

* Re: file lock() and share.exe
@ 2003-09-21  0:14       ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2003-09-21  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Charlton; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, John Charlton wrote:

> void chkkbd(void)
> {
>   int ch;
>   char str[80];
>
>   fprintf(stderr, "Hit enter to continue, s to stop, q to quit
> immediately...");
>   fgets(str, 80, stdin);
>   fputs(str, stderr);
>   ch = str[0];
>   if (ch == 's' || ch == 'S') {
>     bStop = TRUE;
>   }
>   if (ch == 'q' || ch == 'Q') {
>     bQuit = TRUE;
>   }
> }
>
> It is a pretty basic function.  I did use getchar() at first, with the same
> result.  This function works as intended with kernel 1.1.26a (2026a) or in
> linux.  With kernel 2031 it behaves as described above and if you rerun the
> same program it crashes the dosemu session.
>
> Is there an earlier kernel I can use to solve the share/lock issue and not
> introduce this stdin problem?

your problem looks like it might have been fixed in the upcoming kernel
2032. Please try and test http://freedos.sourceforge.net/kernel/kernel.zip

Bart

* Re: file lock() and share.exe
@ 2003-09-21 16:10         ` John Charlton
From: John Charlton @ 2003-09-21 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Saturday 20 September 2003 20:14, Bart Oldeman wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, John Charlton wrote:
> > void chkkbd(void)
> > {
> >   int ch;
> >   char str[80];
> >
> >   fprintf(stderr, "Hit enter to continue, s to stop, q to quit
> > immediately...");
> >   fgets(str, 80, stdin);
> >   fputs(str, stderr);
> >   ch = str[0];
> >   if (ch == 's' || ch == 'S') {
> >     bStop = TRUE;
> >   }
> >   if (ch == 'q' || ch == 'Q') {
> >     bQuit = TRUE;
> >   }
> > }
> >
> > It is a pretty basic function.  I did use getchar() at first, with the
> > same result.  This function works as intended with kernel 1.1.26a (2026a)
> > or in linux.  With kernel 2031 it behaves as described above and if you
> > rerun the same program it crashes the dosemu session.
> >
> > Is there an earlier kernel I can use to solve the share/lock issue and
> > not introduce this stdin problem?
>
> your problem looks like it might have been fixed in the upcoming kernel
> 2032. Please try and test http://freedos.sourceforge.net/kernel/kernel.zip
>
> Bart

Yes the stdin problem is corrected in the 2032 kernel.sys.  Thank you.

--John