* [uml-devel] Networking without tun/tap?
@ 2003-09-30 16:19 Alexander Newald
From: Alexander Newald @ 2003-09-30 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: User-mode-linux-devel

Hello,

I like to install uml on a server running a 2.4.20 kernel but has no tun/tap
configured in. Module support is disabled. Is their any way to get virtual
networking running without rebooting the mashine? I have root access to the
server.

Thanks,

Alexander Newald

* Re: [uml-devel] Networking without tun/tap?
@ 2003-09-30 21:54 ` Goetz Bock
From: Goetz Bock @ 2003-09-30 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: User-mode-linux-devel

> I like to install uml on a server running a 2.4.20 kernel but has no tun/tap
> configured in. Module support is disabled. Is their any way to get virtual
> networking running without rebooting the mashine? I have root access to the
> server.
That is definitely a uml-users question, but still:
You can get the uml-switch/daemon networking to work, but than your
uml's will be unable to access the real network. (you could also use the
pcap driver)
--
/"\ Goetz Bock at blacknet dot de  --  secure mobile Linux everNETting
\ /                     (c) 2003 as GNU FDL 1.1

* Re: [uml-devel] Networking without tun/tap?
@ 2003-10-01 15:03   ` William Stearns
From: William Stearns @ 2003-10-01 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Goetz Bock; +Cc: ML-uml-devel

Good morning, all,

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Goetz Bock wrote:

> > I like to install uml on a server running a 2.4.20 kernel but has no tun/tap
> > configured in. Module support is disabled. Is their any way to get virtual
> > networking running without rebooting the mashine? I have root access to the
> > server.
> That is definitely a uml-users question, but still:
> You can get the uml-switch/daemon networking to work, but than your
> uml's will be unable to access the real network. (you could also use the
> pcap driver)

	And, as a last option, I believe the slirp transport runs as a
non-root userspace process on the host.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

        "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to using
Windows NT for mission-critical applications."  (What Yoda *meant* to
say)
        -- Devin L. Ganger
(Courtesy of James Wilkinson <jamesw@student.unsw.edu.au>)
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at:   http://www.stearns.org
Linux articles at:                         http://www.opensourcedigest.com

* Re: [uml-devel] Networking without tun/tap?
@ 2003-10-10 12:13 ` Henrik Nordstrom
From: Henrik Nordstrom @ 2003-10-10 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Newald; +Cc: User-mode-linux-devel

You should be able to set up a serial device connecting to slirp on the
host (i.e. like a dialup connection where UML dials the host over a pty
device)

Regards
Henrik