* dosemu 1.2.0rc2
@ 2004-01-14  0:39 Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2004-01-14  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hi,

I put up a second 1.2.0 release candidate at www.dosemu.org. This time I
hope no showstoppers are left so the only diffs will be in changing some
years from 2003 to 2004.

short changelog:
* fixes for 2.6 kernels: DPMI was broken and mapshm doesn't work with
  2.6.1 (but it will work again with kernel 2.6.2 and later)
* fixes for NPTL: some signal handlers still caused crashes
* try harder to find the vga font
* don't use readlink in the dosemu script: it's not standard
* "sudo dosemu" now gives full root
* added $_printer_command to dosemu.conf to be able to specify "lpr -l"
  (some people reported that that is necessary for CUPS)
* fix -F switch for alternative global.conf
* add -n switch to be able to ignore dosemu.conf
* some OSS initialization and MPU-401 sound fixes
* misc other bugs fixed
* async io for the serial and mouse code.

Bart

* Re: dosemu 1.2.0rc2
@ 2004-01-17 19:48 ` Claudia Neumann
From: Claudia Neumann @ 2004-01-17 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bart, hi all,

Am Mittwoch, 14. Januar 2004 01:39 schrieb Bart Oldeman:
> I put up a second 1.2.0 release candidate at www.dosemu.org. This time I
> hope no showstoppers are left so the only diffs will be in changing some
> years from 2003 to 2004.

I downloaded the src and rpm and the installation is fine now. Even the
conversion with alien is okay now. I tested it with our
clipper/foxpro-program and now dosemu-freedos-apw stops at the first screen
of the program and hangs. It did so some time ago, but not with the last
versions. So I substituted the freedos-kernel.sys with the kernel.sys you
mailed me in october and it works fine again (?). Want a boot.log with the
dosemu-1.1.99.2-kernel.sys? Which debug-options?

There is another problem: with the german keyboard layout we have a "§"
(paragraph) at shift-3. It is ascii alt-021 and it is in the keytable
de-latin1. But it doesn't work with dosemu but only gives a beep. I suspect
it is missing in vga.pcf.gz, vga11x19.pcf.gz and the other fonts. I tried all
the available dosemu-fonts but nothing works and since 1.1.04 we need the "§"
(paragraph) for some medical coding. How can we get the "§" (paragraph) in
dosemu?

Regards

Claudia

-

* Re: dosemu 1.2.0rc2
@ 2004-01-17 21:39   ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2004-01-17 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Claudia Neumann wrote:

> So I substituted the freedos-kernel.sys with the kernel.sys you
> mailed me in october and it works fine again (?).

that change is just one of quite a few changes that went into the FreeDOS
kernel since it's last release in September. To simplify distribution I'd
like to only distribute released FreeDOS components.

-- it's quite an obscure function that your program uses, feel free to use
that kernel.sys I sent in October; over time dosemu-freedos will be
updated again which supersedes that kernel.sys.

It always takes quite a bit of time to organize a freedos kernel
release, to update the dosemu-freedos tarball, make sure the sources are
in sync, deal with the sourceforge file release system, ...

So for now it's more efficient to keep dosemu-freedos tarball the same for
a fair amount of time; it works well enough for the majority of DOS
programs and for the minority it fails for people could update individual
components, which is just what you did.

Hope that explains the reasons behind it a bit.

> There is another problem: with the german keyboard layout we have a "§"
> (paragraph) at shift-3. It is ascii alt-021 and it is in the keytable
> de-latin1. But it doesn't work with dosemu but only gives a beep. I suspect
> it is missing in vga.pcf.gz, vga11x19.pcf.gz and the other fonts. I tried all
> the available dosemu-fonts but nothing works and since 1.1.04 we need the "§"
> (paragraph) for some medical coding. How can we get the "§" (paragraph) in
> dosemu?

I'll have a look. Something trivial might be wrong in the unicode tables:
if I copy and paste from "man iso-8859-1" character 163 or your email to
dosemu I get the British Pound sign (£).

Bart

-

* Re: dosemu 1.2.0rc2
@ 2004-01-18 10:06   ` Christian Fischer
From: Christian Fischer @ 2004-01-18 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday 17 January 2004 20:48, Claudia Neumann wrote:

> There is another problem: with the german keyboard layout we have a "§"
> (paragraph) at shift-3. It is ascii alt-021 and it is in the keytable
> de-latin1. But it doesn't work with dosemu but only gives a beep. I suspect
> it is missing in vga.pcf.gz, vga11x19.pcf.gz and the other fonts. I tried
> all the available dosemu-fonts but nothing works and since 1.1.04 we need
> the "§" (paragraph) for some medical coding. How can we get the "§"
> (paragraph) in dosemu?

hi claudia, hi bart, hi all there.

it's not a dosemu problem.

we have the same problem with dosemu , dosbox and bochs (a LGPL-ed pc
emulator). it's tested with kernel 2.4, kernel 2.6, different dosemu
versions, different xfree versions, with freedos and ms-dos.

the same problem.

regards
christian fischer

-

* Re: dosemu 1.2.0rc2
@ 2004-01-18 11:35     ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2004-01-18 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Christian Fischer wrote:

> On Saturday 17 January 2004 20:48, Claudia Neumann wrote:
>

> > There is another problem: with the german keyboard layout we have a "§"
> > (paragraph) at shift-3. It is ascii alt-021 and it is in the keytable
> > de-latin1. But it doesn't work with dosemu but only gives a beep. I suspect
> > it is missing in vga.pcf.gz, vga11x19.pcf.gz and the other fonts. I tried
> > all the available dosemu-fonts but nothing works and since 1.1.04 we need
> > the "§" (paragraph) for some medical coding. How can we get the "§"
> > (paragraph) in dosemu?
>
> it's not a dosemu problem.
>
> we have the same problem with dosemu , dosbox and bochs (a LGPL-ed pc
> emulator). it's tested with kernel 2.4, kernel 2.6, different dosemu
> versions, different xfree versions, with freedos and ms-dos.

well, "ascii 21" is an inherent problem because it is difficult to
distinguish it from ctrl-u in certain situations. With the German layout
shift+3 gives you the paragraph sign in FreeDOS edit though.

the good news is that I have the problem at least partially fixed: the
transformation to £ (GBP) for copy/paste to xdosemu was certainly broken.
You'll hear of that later.

Bart

-