* how to get Fn key working on compaq 2100/2110
@ 2003-06-22  8:59 David Cougle
       [not found] ` <Law9-F42o8PqEtVUNfv00014bef-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
From: David Cougle @ 2003-06-22  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

I read on another mailing list that acpi patch allowed fn key to work in
linux for another compaq, I was wondering if it's possible to get it to
work, since fn+ a few function keys has suspend, changing of brightness,
etc.

* Re: how to get Fn key working on compaq 2100/2110
       [not found] ` <Law9-F42o8PqEtVUNfv00014bef-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-06-22 10:35   ` Markus Gaugusch
From: Markus Gaugusch @ 2003-06-22 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Jun 22, David Cougle <dcougle-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I read on another mailing list that acpi patch allowed fn key to work in
> linux for another compaq, I was wondering if it's possible to get it to
> work, since fn+ a few function keys has suspend, changing of brightness,
> etc.
So, what's your question? Have you tried the ACPI patch?

Markus

* Re: how to get Fn key working on compaq 2100/2110
       [not found]                 ` <20030627214744.42676.qmail-3vEPlLXhJOyA/QwVtaZbd3CJp6faPEW9@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-06-30 15:20                   ` Ducrot Bruno
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-06-30 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 02:47:44PM -0700, Mr. Mailing List wrote:
> What I am asking is, how do i see if the hardware
> supports it?  I know some people have laptops that
> bypass the kernel and put it in hibernate with certain
> keystrokes.

I have already answered.  If you see events via
cat /proc/acpi/event
then your laptop can not handle what you asked for.

But if you enable APM instead of ACPI, then there is
good luck that actually your laptop will generate a
SMI, then the BIOS will get the info that the sleep
key was pressed, and enter hibernation, but you may
have to config your BIOS accordingly.

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.

* Re: how to get Fn key working on compaq 2100/2110
       [not found]             ` <20030626103302.GQ19556-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org>
  To: Ducrot Bruno; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

button/power PWRF 00000080 00000002
button/lid LID 00000080 00000004

does that mean an event is button/lid or button[
/]lid?

also, i get no response for
fn f12, which is supposed to suspend.
fn other acpi keys work(i can change the lighting of
screen)

also, anyone have a script that for lidbtn.sh would
call that sleep.sh script written (sleep.sh start on
go to sleep, skeep.sh stop on resume)?

  To: Ducrot Bruno; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

       [not found]         ` <001701c33a7b$a89ff6f0$3201a8c0-HrsG2tOhabjQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-06-26 10:33           ` Ducrot Bruno
       [not found]             ` <20030626103302.GQ19556-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-06-26 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Cougle; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

       [not found]     ` <20030623092026.GS19556-kk6yZipjEM5g9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-06-24 18:08       ` David Cougle
       [not found]         ` <001701c33a7b$a89ff6f0$3201a8c0-HrsG2tOhabjQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
From: David Cougle @ 2003-06-24 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ducrot Bruno'; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-06-23  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Cougle
  Cc: markus-z+rTbpWsRgbk7+2FdBfRIA,
	acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 01:40:51PM -0500, David Cougle wrote:
> cat /proc/acpi/sleep
> S0 S3 S4 (swsusp) S5
>
> I just have heard of people who are able to skip past kernel and force
> suspend to ram.
> was wondering if i could do this.

I had a patch one year ago.  But it was really too buggy.  I even
don't know if it worked properly due to lack of hardware...
Anyway, even if that patch worked, all the power management
of the devices in linux 2.4 in general have to be rewrotten.

I don't think the cost of the time of this rework for 2.4 will be really
usefull, since linux 2.5 have already a framework for this purpose.
And this work will be too oriented to developpement, not improving
things or write a new driver, etc.

Cheers,

--

       [not found] ` <Law9-F77zPZrIkyPzGN00036197-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>