From: Robert Komar <rkomar@telus.net>
To: linux-msdos@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 1.1.5.1-5 regressions and other bugs
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:04:53 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Stas Sergeev wrote:

> Robert Komar wrote:
> > The times between the slowdowns would get longer as I
> > increased the hogthreshold, but would never go away
> > entirely.  Is this expected or a bug?
> I guess the "bug" is too rough definition
> for such a small issue.

It's not so small when you're trying to aim at targets
that are moving around ;).

> Anyway the attached patch will probably make
> it a bit better.
> Does it help?

It does help.  The problem is still there, in that there
are short slowdowns in the game, but it is an improvement
over the old code, where the game was unplayable unless the
mouse was moved.

I'm curious as to why mouse events have this effect but
keyboard events don't.  I'm constantly hitting keys when
the slowdown occurs, but it takes a mouse event to break
out of it.  Is there something special about mouse events?

I would have responded to this sooner but while testing, I
noticed that the sound was choppy.  The choppiness didn't
go away when I applied the patch, so I figured that it
was an unrelated matter.  Testing old versions of dosemu
showed that the choppiness started in version 1.1.5.1
(i.e. when the new SB16 code went in).  After a fair
bit of fooling around and looking at debug output, I saw
that the dosemu SB emulator had a sampling rate of 11000 Hz,
while I had Duke3D setup to use 44000 Hz.  Re-configuring
Duke3D for 11000 Hz sampling rate fixed the choppiness.
If this sounds like the sort of problem that many others
might have, perhaps it should be mentioned in the section
on "Configuring the Applications" in sound-usage.txt.

Cheers,
Rob Komar