* removing clean mapped pages
@ 2003-08-12 19:31 Raghu R. Arur
From: Raghu R. Arur @ 2003-08-12 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies; +Cc: linux-mm

 Hi,

   How does a frame, mapped to a disk file gets released to the free list.
I do not see any place in shrink_cache() nor in try_to_swap_out() such a
page getting released.
What am i missing over here ?

 Thanks,
 Raghu

* Re: removing clean mapped pages
@ 2003-08-12 19:42 ` Raghu R. Arur
From: Raghu R. Arur @ 2003-08-12 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies; +Cc: linux-mm

 I meant a clean mapped frame.

Thanks,
Raghu

@ 2003-08-13 10:46   ` Mel Gorman
From: Mel Gorman @ 2003-08-13 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghu R. Arur; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-mm

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Raghu R. Arur wrote:

>  I meant a clean mapped frame.

Freed in try_to_swap_out() . There is no need to do anything with a clean
page, so it is just dropped from the page tables and page_cache_release()
is called. When the reference reaches 0, the page is reclaimed

--
Mel Gorman
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel

* Re: removing clean mapped pages
@ 2003-08-13 14:07     ` Mel Gorman
From: Mel Gorman @ 2003-08-13 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghu R. Arur; +Cc: kernelnewbies, linux-mm

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Mel Gorman wrote:

> Freed in try_to_swap_out() . There is no need to do anything with a clean
> page, so it is just dropped from the page tables and page_cache_release()
> is called. When the reference reaches 0, the page is reclaimed

Bah, this is wrong, shouldn't be let near e-mail in the morning. The
freeing of a file-mapped page is actually two-stage.

try_to_swap_out() will unmap the file-backed page from a process page
table. Once there are no processes mapping the page, the only user in
page->count will be the page cache. It stays in the page cache until it is
reclaimed later by shrink_cache().

--
Mel Gorman
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mel