* Way to save DSP resources on the emu10k1
@ 2003-10-09 15:17 James Courtier-Dutton
From: James Courtier-Dutton @ 2003-10-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I have thought of a possible way to save DSP resources on the SB
Live/Audigy etc.

Instead of having DSP code actually in the emu10k1 source code, have it
in small user land files on disk.
When the snd-emu10k1 modules is first loaded, it will contain no DSP
code. When alsa-lib detects an emu10k1 DSP, it would scan the user land
files, and then present the mixer api/user with a list of switches, to
enable or disable a feature, then, only the features the user actually
wants and needs would be loaded into the DSP, and thus save on DSP
resources.

This would also allow for special extra user designed modules, in much
the same way that emu-dspmgr works on the oss driver.

Then the user could have an almost unlimited amount of DSP modules to
choose from, and only be limited by how many modules can be loaded at
the same time.

I am sure thise sort of feature would also me useful on other sound
cards that have DSPs on them.

Cheers
James

* Re: Way to save DSP resources on the emu10k1
@ 2003-10-09 15:26 ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2003-10-09 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Courtier-Dutton; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have thought of a possible way to save DSP resources on the SB
> Live/Audigy etc.
>
> Instead of having DSP code actually in the emu10k1 source code, have it
> in small user land files on disk.
> When the snd-emu10k1 modules is first loaded, it will contain no DSP
> code. When alsa-lib detects an emu10k1 DSP, it would scan the user land
> files, and then present the mixer api/user with a list of switches, to
> enable or disable a feature, then, only the features the user actually
> wants and needs would be loaded into the DSP, and thus save on DSP
> resources.
>
> This would also allow for special extra user designed modules, in much
> the same way that emu-dspmgr works on the oss driver.
>
> Then the user could have an almost unlimited amount of DSP modules to
> choose from, and only be limited by how many modules can be loaded at
> the same time.
>
> I am sure thise sort of feature would also me useful on other sound
> cards that have DSPs on them.

You have a chance. The build-in default DSP code uses standard routines
available also over ioctls so it not a problem to remove old DSP code and
replace it with something more useful. And yes, we can easy move the
default DSP code from the kernel space to the user space.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer