* DoC Grub booting problems
@ 2003-10-14  5:44 Michael McLellan
From: Michael McLellan @ 2003-10-14  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtd list

I've compiled grub v.0.93 with the lastest MTD patch and it pretty much
works. But it doesn't detect the DoC until I explicitly tell it its there.

Currently when it boots up it doesn't say anything about finding the DoC
and leaves me at a Grub shell prompt. If I type 'root (dc0,0)' it
comes up with the usual guff about finding the DoC and NFTL
partitions. Then I can type 'configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst' and it works
fine.

So my question is, how come it doesn't detect the DoC before searching for
the menu.lst file? So then it will boot without going to the Grub shell.

Thanks & regards, Mikey.

* Re: DoC Grub booting problems
@ 2003-10-14  6:06 ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2003-10-14  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael McLellan; +Cc: mtd list

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 15:44 +1000, Michael McLellan wrote:
> I've compiled grub v.0.93 with the lastest MTD patch and it pretty much
> works. But it doesn't detect the DoC until I explicitly tell it its there.

I believe that's intentional; it doesn't go looking for the drive until
it's asked to access it.

> So my question is, how come it doesn't detect the DoC before searching for
> the menu.lst file? So then it will boot without going to the Grub shell.

Don't you have to tell it that the menu.lst file is on (dc0,0) (what do
you use your _other_ partitions for, btw?) to make it look there?

--
dwmw2

* Re: DoC Grub booting problems
@ 2003-10-14  6:45   ` Michael McLellan
From: Michael McLellan @ 2003-10-14  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Woodhouse; +Cc: mtd list

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, David Woodhouse wrote:

> I believe that's intentional; it doesn't go looking for the drive until
> it's asked to access it.

Seems a little silly to me, grub doesn't do that when booting off a hard
disk. It would be silly if everytime you booted off a harddisk you had to
go to the grub shell and tell it where your menu.lst file is.

Besides I thought that it found the drive first using an older version of
the firmware.

> Don't you have to tell it that the menu.lst file is on (dc0,0) to make
> it look there?

Yes I do, thats the problem.

> What do you use your _other_ partitions for, btw?

The partitions are laid out like that by PeeWee linux. There is no (dc0,1)
I potentially wont partition the drive once I settle on the installation.

Cheers,

@ 2003-10-14  8:32     ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2003-10-14  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael McLellan; +Cc: mtd list

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 16:45 +1000, Michael McLellan wrote:
> > Don't you have to tell it that the menu.lst file is on (dc0,0) to make
> > it look there?
>
> Yes I do, thats the problem.

Hmmm. Look at, and add more debugging to, find_config() and
try_config_partition() in stage2.c.

Find out if they're actually being called. If not, why not -- and if so,
why aren't they finding the config file?

--
dwmw2

* Re: DoC Grub booting problems
@ 2003-10-15  0:50       ` Michael McLellan
From: Michael McLellan @ 2003-10-15  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Woodhouse; +Cc: mtd list

OK, I've worked it out.

I forgot I had to hack the code a bit to make it compile and part of that
affected stage2 stuff. I was using grub-0.93

So I compiled against the latest CVS code and all works OK.

Thanks for your help.

Mikey.