* Re: Bitkeeper
@ 2003-07-19 16:00 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-07-19 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ebiederm, mark; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Any investment into writing a new source management
> system would be better served by improving the linux source code.

What happens if somebody develops a really good versioned filesystem
for Linux, would it not get merged, because the linux kernel would
then contain SCM-like functionality?

John.

* Re: Bitkeeper
@ 2003-07-19 16:17 ` Mark Mielke
From: Mark Mielke @ 2003-07-19 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradford; +Cc: ebiederm, linux-kernel

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 05:00:24PM +0100, John Bradford wrote:
> > Any investment into writing a new source management
> > system would be better served by improving the linux source code.
> What happens if somebody develops a really good versioned filesystem
> for Linux, would it not get merged, because the linux kernel would
> then contain SCM-like functionality?

One day, when it happens, we'll see what ripple effects it has.

In most cases, however, I suspect that a versioned file system will never
be a replacement for a good source management system. The lines could become
blurred, but the 'good versioned file system' might take the form a kernel
module that allowed SCM systems to plug into it, at which point, Bit Keeper
might plug into it, and everybody would be happy. I doubt you want to put
merge manager functionality into the kernel, or many of the other components
of a good source management system. The storage and access is one of the
lesser concerns. Bit Keeper uses similar storage and access methods as
SCCS, does it not?

mark

--
mark@mielke.cc/markm@ncf.ca/markm@nortelnetworks.com __________________________

                       and in the darkness bind them...

                           http://mark.mielke.cc/

* SCM file system (Was Re: Bitkeeper)
@ 2003-07-19 20:30   ` Mr. James W. Laferriere
From: Mr. James W. Laferriere @ 2003-07-19 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Mielke; +Cc: Linux Kernel Maillist

	Hello Mark All ,  (I hate continuing this thread But) A thought
	just (re-)occured to me that for those people who -really- need
	it .  What about an SCM file system ?  Thoughts , anger ,
	complancency ?  Twys ,  JimL

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Mark Mielke wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 05:00:24PM +0100, John Bradford wrote:
> > > Any investment into writing a new source management
> > > system would be better served by improving the linux source code.
> > What happens if somebody develops a really good versioned filesystem
> > for Linux, would it not get merged, because the linux kernel would
> > then contain SCM-like functionality?
> One day, when it happens, we'll see what ripple effects it has.
> In most cases, however, I suspect that a versioned file system will never
> be a replacement for a good source management system. The lines could become
> blurred, but the 'good versioned file system' might take the form a kernel
> module that allowed SCM systems to plug into it, at which point, Bit Keeper
> might plug into it, and everybody would be happy. I doubt you want to put
> merge manager functionality into the kernel, or many of the other components
> of a good source management system. The storage and access is one of the
> lesser concerns. Bit Keeper uses similar storage and access methods as
> SCCS, does it not?
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer |     P.O. Box 854     |  Give me Linux  |
       | babydr@baby-dragons.com | Coudersport PA 16915 |   only  on  AXP |