* Compile ALSA into the kernel
@ 2004-01-06 19:48 Markus Gaugusch
From: Markus Gaugusch @ 2004-01-06 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

I'm using software suspend (swsusp.sf.net) and unfortunately the via82xx
has no power management hooks (I posted some days ago). After resume the
hardware is not-reinitialized and I can hear no sound. Therefore I thought
that I could compile the driver into the kernel, so it gets re-initialized
on resume.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any info on how to add the alsa modules to
the kernel. I tried with SuSE kernel sources, but ALSA is rather old there
(0.9.0cvs) and the kernel is also old (2.4.21, but alsa patches are
against 2.4.18!). I'd like to patch against 2.4.23/24.
If I can't patch the kernel easily, it would probably sufficient to link
the compiled object files with my kernel? But where shall I specify this
and will it work?

thanks!
Markus

* Re: Compile ALSA into the kernel
@ 2004-01-08 11:25 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2004-01-08 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Gaugusch; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:48:51 +0100 (CET),
Markus Gaugusch wrote:

> I'm using software suspend (swsusp.sf.net) and unfortunately the via82xx
> has no power management hooks (I posted some days ago). After resume the
> hardware is not-reinitialized and I can hear no sound. Therefore I thought
> that I could compile the driver into the kernel, so it gets re-initialized
> on resume.
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't find any info on how to add the alsa modules to
> the kernel. I tried with SuSE kernel sources, but ALSA is rather old there
> (0.9.0cvs) and the kernel is also old (2.4.21, but alsa patches are
> against 2.4.18!). I'd like to patch against 2.4.23/24.

then simply build ALSA modules externally from alsa-driver tree.

ciao,

Takashi