* usage with libgpm
@ 2005-03-11  5:25 Ryan Underwood
From: Ryan Underwood @ 2005-03-11  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

When dosemu is built with libgpm support, what $_mouse and $_mouse_dev
should be used?  When they are commented out, no DOS program can see
the mouse.  $_mouse = (microsoft) and $_mouse_dev = "/dev/gpmdata"
works, but I thought this was not supposed to be necessary when libgpm
is used.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>

* Re: usage with libgpm
@ 2005-03-13  4:38 ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2005-03-13  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Underwood; +Cc: linux-msdos

Just to elaborate on what Stas said....

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> When dosemu is built with libgpm support, what $_mouse and $_mouse_dev
> should be used?

these settings are irrelevant when libgpm is used. libgpm is only used for
the console in terminal mode, that is, when dosemu is as useful as when
you run it in an xterm (no graphics, just text mode).

This is sometimes useful because VC switching is much smoother if you run
dosemu in terminal mode than in console graphics, and it doesn't sacrifice
security either.

But since 99% of all Linux desktop users seem to use X 100% of the time it
is not really so important I think.

> When they are commented out, no DOS program can see
> the mouse.  $_mouse = (microsoft) and $_mouse_dev = "/dev/gpmdata"
> works, but I thought this was not supposed to be necessary when libgpm
> is used.

It is necessary. The long story is that dosemu sends an ioctl(console_fd,
KDSETMODE, KD_GRAPHICS); because once the VBIOS does all its stuff all the
Linux console management goes out of the window and gpm can't trust it
anymore.

For 2.6 kernels it would perhaps be simpler to use the mouse event device
instead of all this manual business.

It doesn't quite help that by the standard of "dead" that was used in
the threads here, gpm is very much dead by now. libgpm can also be binary
incompatible from one distro to another one which is another PITA for the
binaries on dosemu.org.

Bart

* Re: usage with libgpm
@ 2005-03-13  6:31   ` Ryan Underwood
From: Ryan Underwood @ 2005-03-13  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: Ryan Underwood, linux-msdos

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 05:38:08PM +1300, Bart Oldeman wrote:

> > When dosemu is built with libgpm support, what $_mouse and $_mouse_dev
> > should be used?
>
> these settings are irrelevant when libgpm is used. libgpm is only used for
> the console in terminal mode, that is, when dosemu is as useful as when
> you run it in an xterm (no graphics, just text mode).

Yeah, Stas already told me that.  It was only strange that I was able to
get mouse usage in the console when specifying those things, but not
without specifying them, even when libgpm was enabled.

> It doesn't quite help that by the standard of "dead" that was used in
> the threads here, gpm is very much dead by now. libgpm can also be binary
> incompatible from one distro to another one which is another PITA for the
> binaries on dosemu.org.

So what's the best way to set things up so that mouse works in both
console graphics mode (i.e. $_mouse + $_mouse_dev set) as well as in
terminal mode using libgpm without changing the conffile in between
invocations?

--

@ 2005-03-13  7:50     ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2005-03-13  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Underwood; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> So what's the best way to set things up so that mouse works in both
> console graphics mode (i.e. $_mouse + $_mouse_dev set) as well as in
> terminal mode using libgpm without changing the conffile in between
> invocations?

basically dosemu has 6 mouse frontends:
1. X
2. xterm
3. via gpm
4. SDL
5. console graphics (internal mouse driver)
6. console graphics (serial mouse with DOS mouse driver)

$_mouse_dev and $_mouse *only* affect the mouse in console graphics mode
(5 and 6).

If these settings change the behaviour of dosemu in terminal mode then
that's a bug.

Bart

* Re: usage with libgpm
@ 2005-03-12  7:53 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2005-03-12  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Hello.

Ryan Underwood wrote:
> Ok, that's good to know.  Why
> is it that libgpm is not available as
> root console?
It still can be used, but you have to
set $_graphics=(0) then.
man gpm:
---
       While  the  current  console  is in graphic mode, gpm sleeps until text
       mode is back (unless -R is used). Thus, it won’t reply to clients.
---
But the root-console with $_graphics=(0)
gives the corrupted national characters
to me, so I don't know how usefull it is.

-

* Re: usage with libgpm
@ 2005-03-11 23:11 ` Ryan Underwood
From: Ryan Underwood @ 2005-03-11 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 07:53:29PM +0300, Stas Sergeev wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Ryan Underwood wrote:
> >the mouse.  $_mouse = (microsoft) and $_mouse_dev = "/dev/gpmdata"
> >works, but I thought this was not supposed to be necessary when libgpm
> >is used.
> As I said already, the gpm and raw
> mouse accesses are mutually exclusive
> in most cases, which means if $_mouse_dev
> works, libgpm cannot be used in that
> environment (with a few minor exceptions).
> Apparently your environment is root-console.

setuid-console, but yes.

@ 2005-03-11 16:53 Stas Sergeev
From: Stas Sergeev @ 2005-03-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos