* Userspace (QUEUE) Filter Verdict Targets, REJECT and TARPIT
@ 2004-12-17 10:17 Gordan Bobic
From: Gordan Bobic @ 2004-12-17 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

Hi,

I am trying to write a configurable userspace packet filter for handling huge
numbers of complex rules (I need it for hundreds of thousands of rules). The
problem that I am finding is that the libipq only seems to offer ACCEPT and
DROP verdict targets for userspace filters.

Is there a way to set REJECT or TARPIT as targets? I ask because it is nice to
respond with REJECT to non-hostile hosts so that they don't get tied with
connections when DROP is used. Similarly, it would be nice to be able to
TARPIT the hostile hosts to slow them down. At the moment, the only way I can
think of to handle this is to set a DROP verdict but then send out a custom
made raw packet using something like libnet, but this would rather complicate
the code I am developing (but if it's the only option, so be it, I guess).

Finally - is there a way to practically handle TARPIT in a resource-cheap way
when conntrack is used? My packet filter needs to operate in a NAT
enfironment, so conntrack is not something I can avoid using.

Best regards.

Gordan

* Re: Userspace (QUEUE) Filter Verdict Targets, REJECT and TARPIT
@ 2004-12-17 15:41 ` Henrik Nordstrom
From: Henrik Nordstrom @ 2004-12-17 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordan Bobic; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Gordan Bobic wrote:

> Is there a way to set REJECT or TARPIT as targets?

No, only the netfilter primitive targets are available from userspace.

But there is patches allowing you to return a nfmark from your queue
application, which can then be used in further processing using iptables.

Regards
Henrik