* Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-02-25  7:59 Shawn O. Pearce
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Shawn O. Pearce @ 2007-02-25  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

ShadeHawk and robinr brought up Google's Summer of Code on #git the
other day.  I had also been thinking about seeing if we cannot get
Git involved with SoC, so here goes... ;-)

The application deadline for organizations is March 12th.
The earliest that we can submit an application is March 5th, so we
still have time to kick ideas around and see if the community is
interested in participating in SoC.

Google's FAQ has a lot of details, but the important part which
lists what should be included in an application can be found here:

  http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60303&topic=10727

I don't know how the great SoC filter works for organizations,
but last year's list (found at http://code.google.com/soc/) has a
number of projects listed on it that are actively using Git for their
version control.  It would be nice if the SoC program was able to
benefit multiple projects in one shot, by helping to improve Git. :)

I'd be happy to help put the application together and to probably
also serve as a mentor, but I'm only willing to put in the effort
if others are genuinely interested and will also help out.

Thoughts?

--
Shawn.

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-02-27 20:47 ` Johannes Schindelin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2007-02-27 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn O. Pearce; +Cc: git

Hi,

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> Thoughts?

The projects I would suggest are

1. Make more complete tests.
2. Use sparse to fix errors revealed by static code analysis.
3. Make more things builtin.

Regarding 2: this would be more of a sparse project IMHO. It could mean
that sparse actually learns about fixing trivial bugs. (You need to
inspect the result, but verifying is faster than writing.)

Ciao,
Dscho

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-02-28  8:42 ` Andy Parkins
From: Andy Parkins @ 2007-02-28  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Shawn O. Pearce

On Sunday 2007 February 25 07:59, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> Thoughts?

What about the oft-asked for windows port?  From what I've seen, none of the
Unix types have any incentive to do this, so a financial incentive might be
just the thing.

Perhaps the windows port is already far enough along that this wouldn't be a
big job.  In which case the project could be windows shell integration (or
whatever other candy-based device a windows user would need to easily use
git).

Project title: "Make it so that one .exe click-and-install would make the full
power of git available in an idiot^H^H^H^H^H typical-GUI-using-developer
friendly form"

Given that the best thing for git in the long term is more users, and that no
windows support is the commonly given reason why other SCMs are chosen
instead, this would be a good use of the resources.

I'm off to shower, I feel dirty even talking about Windows :-)

Andy
--
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET
andyparkins@gmail.com

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-02-28  9:03   ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2007-02-28  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Andy Parkins <andyparkins@gmail.com> writes:

> What about the oft-asked for windows port?  From what I've seen, none of the
> Unix types have any incentive to do this, so a financial incentive might be
> just the thing.

+ 1. It seems the windows port somewhat has the status "we want it but
I'm not going to do it" for most git contributors.

I'm personnally using unix 99% of the time, but I also have a piece of
windows installed on my laptop. For example, I'm working on a small
project using windows-only software, and being able to use git
comfortably from this setup would be cool.

Also, I'm relucant to migrate to git completely even for unix-only
projects, since I know that a hypothetical future windows-port will be
made hard by the non-availability of the windows port.

> Given that the best thing for git in the long term is more users,

That's what I feel. The problem with distributed SCMs at the moment is
that there are too many of them, not sharing enough users. For
example, I had to choose a replacement for CVS with some colleagues
recently. I argued about using a distributed one, but the argument
against, and the decision was "SVN is what they're more likely to use
later, let's go for SVN no matter how bad it is".

> and that no windows support is the commonly given reason why other
> SCMs are chosen instead, this would be a good use of the resources.

Sure. One of the best examples being Mozilla. I hardly see them using
a piece of software that's not working properly on windows, since the
majority of users (and probably of the developers, I don't know) are
running windows.

--
Matthieu

* RE: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-02-28  9:35 ` Raimund Bauer
From: Raimund Bauer @ 2007-02-28  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Shawn O. Pearce', git

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> Thoughts?

What about sub-project support?
Seems also to be on the list of things that would be nice to have, but not
needed enough by the people doing the heavy work here.

--
best regards

  Ray

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-02-28 15:39   ` Brian Gernhardt
From: Brian Gernhardt @ 2007-02-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raimund Bauer; +Cc: 'Shawn O. Pearce', git

On Feb 28, 2007, at 4:35 AM, Raimund Bauer wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>
>> Thoughts?
>
> What about sub-project support?
> Seems also to be on the list of things that would be nice to have,
> but not
> needed enough by the people doing the heavy work here.

+1.  Something I'd definitely work on myself...  But hacking git
isn't what I'm getting paid for.  :-(  So let's see if someone else
will do it.

~~ Brian

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-02-28 15:47     ` Shawn O. Pearce
From: Shawn O. Pearce @ 2007-02-28 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Gernhardt; +Cc: Raimund Bauer, git

Brian Gernhardt <benji@silverinsanity.com> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2007, at 4:35 AM, Raimund Bauer wrote:
> >What about sub-project support?
> >Seems also to be on the list of things that would be nice to have,
> >but not
> >needed enough by the people doing the heavy work here.
>
> +1.  Something I'd definitely work on myself...  But hacking git
> isn't what I'm getting paid for.  :-(  So let's see if someone else
> will do it.

Most (if not all) Git hackers are unpaid.

Err, I think we are all paid by someone, but that pay is to produce
things totally unrelated to Git.  Because if we weren't paid,
we probably couldn't afford fancy luxuries like food.  :)

Me, I hack on Git because I find it fun (it is a nice change of pace
from the dreary hacking I do for food) and I like using the software
to help me through my dreary hacking work.  But I'm certainly not
getting any money for my Git hacking.

Re: SoC, we should setup a page in the Git Wiki listing these great
ideas out - we are already up to a few, and subprojects has gotten
at least a couple of votes now as something the community would
like to see.

--

@ 2007-02-28 16:00       ` Brian Gernhardt
From: Brian Gernhardt @ 2007-02-28 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn O. Pearce; +Cc: Raimund Bauer, git

On Feb 28, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> Most (if not all) Git hackers are unpaid.
>
> Err, I think we are all paid by someone, but that pay is to produce
> things totally unrelated to Git.  Because if we weren't paid,
> we probably couldn't afford fancy luxuries like food.  :)

I mostly meant that as a "I don't have the time to work on a large
project like that because I have to do other things for work".  And I
actually have non-computer related things to do when I'm not
working.  Shock and horror.  ;-)

> Me, I hack on Git because I find it fun (it is a nice change of pace
> from the dreary hacking I do for food) and I like using the software
> to help me through my dreary hacking work.  But I'm certainly not
> getting any money for my Git hacking.

I hack on Git because I use it for work (yay being a contractor and
getting to pick my own tools!) and periodically need to fix a problem
here and there.  If I had more time, I'd probably do more.  But as is
small things I submit patches, large things I go "Please fix this".  :-)

~~ Brian

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-03-01  2:08 ` Jakub Narebski
From: Jakub Narebski @ 2007-03-01  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> ShadeHawk and robinr brought up Google's Summer of Code on #git the
> other day.  I had also been thinking about seeing if we cannot get
> Git involved with SoC, so here goes... ;-)
>
> The application deadline for organizations is March 12th.
> The earliest that we can submit an application is March 5th, so we
> still have time to kick ideas around and see if the community is
> interested in participating in SoC.

Well, certainly there is a number of areas to work on. This includes:
 * much talked on (and even with two different independent
   implementations) _subproject (submodule) support_, which would
   certainly help using git for large modular projects like KDE,
   Mozilla or distributions.
 * lightweight checkout aka. .gitlink idea, to have file which
   would point to object directory, refs directory, index file
   and current branch file. It could help submodule support.
 * partial/sparse checkouts, where you can checkout for example
   only Documentation directory, work on it, but commit full tree.
   Sometimes it better suits than using submodules
 * gitweb caching and other gitweb improvements: bringing together
   all gitweb implementations. Perhaps gitweb maintainer could
   come of it. Or at least gitweb admin for kernel.org
 * builtinification and libification
 * lazy clone aka remote alternates, if it can be done at all...

> Google's FAQ has a lot of details, but the important part which
> lists what should be included in an application can be found here:
>
>   http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60303&topic=10727
>
> I don't know how the great SoC filter works for organizations,
> but last year's list (found at http://code.google.com/soc/) has a
> number of projects listed on it that are actively using Git for their
> version control.  It would be nice if the SoC program was able to
> benefit multiple projects in one shot, by helping to improve Git. :)

The other SCM which participated in SOC2006, Subversion and Monotone,
both are backed by organizations. Mercurial didn't participate, but has
a page with ideas for SOC2006.

If Eclipse is to participate, perhaps one of Eclipse projects could be
git plugin for Eclipse, or Java implementation of Git (perhaps with some
Java improvements :-), or perhaps some generic distributed SCM plugin
framework.

--
Jakub Narebski
Warsaw, Poland

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-03-01  8:03   ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2007-03-01  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Jakub Narebski

Jakub Narebski <jnareb@gmail.com> writes:

> The other SCM which participated in SOC2006, Subversion and Monotone,
> both are backed by organizations. Mercurial didn't participate, but has
> a page with ideas for SOC2006.

There was a SoC project too for bzr, to create a GUI (called olive).
Also backud by organization (Canonical).

--
Matthieu

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-03-01 21:34   ` Shawn O. Pearce
From: Shawn O. Pearce @ 2007-03-01 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Jakub Narebski

Jakub Narebski <jnareb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> > ShadeHawk and robinr brought up Google's Summer of Code on #git the
> > other day.  I had also been thinking about seeing if we cannot get
> > Git involved with SoC, so here goes... ;-)
> >
> > The application deadline for organizations is March 12th.
> > The earliest that we can submit an application is March 5th, so we
> > still have time to kick ideas around and see if the community is
> > interested in participating in SoC.

I've put together the list of ideas posted to the mailing list on
the Git Wiki:

  http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/SoC2007Ideas

Links to each message on gmane are also included.  The ideas need
to be extended out some, as many of them might not be recognized
or understood by someone from outside of the Git community.

--

@ 2007-03-02 20:36     ` Johannes Schindelin
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2007-03-02 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthieu Moy; +Cc: git

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> It seems the windows port somewhat has the status "we want it but I'm
> not going to do it" for most git contributors.

That is not really fair, is it? _Most_ git contributors have helped
Windows users in one way or another (why don't we have a symlink()ed HEAD
anymore, hmm?).

However, I do have the impression that the percentage of people in
complain-only mode is way lower in the non-Windows camp.

Ciao,
Dscho

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-03-04 22:10     ` Martin Langhoff
From: Martin Langhoff @ 2007-03-04 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shawn O. Pearce; +Cc: git, Jakub Narebski

On 3/2/07, Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@spearce.org> wrote:
> I've put together the list of ideas posted to the mailing list on
> the Git Wiki:
>
>   http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/SoC2007Ideas

There, I've added a couple I think I can help mentoring ;-)

cheers,

martin

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-03-21  4:02                 ` Yoshinori K. Okuji
From: Yoshinori K. Okuji @ 2007-03-21  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

The deadline of student applications is coming soon. If you are planning to
apply the Summer of Code, please hurry up. If you are too late, we have no
way to accept you.

Jeroen, can you take a look at existing applications? I have added some
comments, but the final decision is up to you.

Regards,
Okuji

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
       [not found] <200703151705.l2FH53LC032672@correoredir01.dinaserver.com>
@ 2007-03-19  8:11 ` adrian15
From: adrian15 @ 2007-03-19  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

> I agree, but we could give proposals for implementing features that
> work towards this goal a higher priority than those that
> don't. E.g. giving CDROM support and the fancy menu interface a higher
> priority, because that are two things GRUB Legacy already has (in most
> major distributions at least). And certainly without the fancy menu
> the major distributions aren't going to switch to GRUB2.
>
> Jeroen Dekkers

I vote for grub2 cdrom support.

I suppose that you have designed grub2 the best way possible but Grub
legacy wasn't.

These two years that I've been working with grub cdroms I've found two
or three problems from the fact that grub cdrom was not tested fully.
For example when an error happened the cur_part_offset variable had to
be reset so that the cdrom was read ok and it wasn't reset.

Moreover I think that if we want grub2 to be a great software it should
be tested in a earlier stage of development on all the devices where it
can it boot from.

adrian15

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-03-19  4:38                 ` Brandon Sho
From: Brandon Sho @ 2007-03-19  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

> That means you will send in patches?
If I had any, surely.

Thanks for your explanation below.  Those of you who are volunteers I
salute your efforts.

@ 2007-03-15 10:26               ` Jeroen Dekkers
From: Jeroen Dekkers @ 2007-03-15 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

At Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:44:21 +0100,
Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 March 2007 13:38, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > We should come up with a idea list today, because tomorrow Google will
> > begin accepting applications. I think we should just start with
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-soc.html and remove the project
> > I did last summer. I think all the other tasks still need to be
> > done. New ideas are welcome too of course.
>
> I agree. And this needs to be informed to the gnu's list, because what Google
> will see is the GNU's list but not ours.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas.html

I can't update the website as long as savannah is down... :-(

@ 2007-03-14 11:14               ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2007-03-14 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

 .

@ 2007-03-14  1:52             ` Brandon Sho
From: Brandon Sho @ 2007-03-14  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

I agree wholeheartily with Jeroen's last paragraph below.

Some might even add that this should have been done sooner
.
As an observer I have not noticed any remarkable gain or needed
functionality added for quite some time.   Its been years and you
still don't have a production version..   And you should at least
attempt for the legacy features as a proof of stability and then later
you can add features as it matures.

Darel Henman

..... snipped

@ 2007-03-13 22:39                 ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2007-03-13 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Hello!

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 06:36:11PM +0100, Marco Gerards wrote:
> "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <okuji@enbug.org> writes:
> > Anyway, our list just shows examples. Students are free to propose new ideas.
> > In addition, we can obtain only one student from the past experience.

One note on that: it seems that this year a much smaller number of GNU
(sub)projects are going to take part.  Compare
<http://gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2006.html> to
<http://gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas.html>.  (Of course, not
everything may be in place yet -- like to Hurd's tasks are still
missing...)  So it might be that the participating GNU (sub)projects
might get more students to work on tasks like they got last year.  Or it
may not.

> > If we
> > are unlucky, we can get zero. So I think it is better not to bloat the list
> > too much, but rather expect that students would think of something
> > interesting themselves.

It may be hard for students (also for capable ones) to come up with
suitable tasks, if they don't have any guide lines.  So, I think it's
helpful to publish quite a number of ideas.  _Then_, the students can
still modify them as it suits them.

> Last year it looked like the number of projects assigned and the number of
> mentors a project had, had a certain relation.  Of course, because
> GRUB is a part of the GNU project, this relation might not be true for
> GRUB.  And this is mainly based on rumors from last year...  Perhaps
> people can confirm this?

I can't really support that statement, but then, I only know the number
of the GNU project.

Regards,
 Thomas

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-03-13 17:36               ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2007-03-13 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

[...]

@ 2007-03-13 16:44             ` Yoshinori K. Okuji
From: Yoshinori K. Okuji @ 2007-03-13 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 13:38, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> Well I can always be hit by a bus or anything like that. But I hope it
> won't be necessary.

Last year, real procedures were always taught only to primary mentors, but not
to backup mentors, IIRC. Hollis, weren't they? So I thought, then what is the
meaning of having a backup mentor?

@ 2007-03-13 12:38           ` Jeroen Dekkers
From: Jeroen Dekkers @ 2007-03-13 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

@ 2007-03-12 17:45         ` Yoshinori K. Okuji
From: Yoshinori K. Okuji @ 2007-03-12 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

@ 2007-03-10 21:38       ` Jeroen Dekkers
From: Jeroen Dekkers @ 2007-03-10 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

@ 2007-03-07 13:45 ` Marco Gerards
From: Marco Gerards @ 2007-03-07 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <okuji@enbug.org> writes:

> As you may know, Google Summer of Code 2007 is about starting:
>
> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> I would like to ask if anybody is willing to be a mentor for GNU GRUB this
> year.

This year I will again try to participate in SoC.  The rules are that
you can not be a mentor and participate as a student at the same
time, at least for SoC 2006.  If this has not changed, I can not be a
mentor.

Perhaps I will try to work on GRUB 2 during summer of code, I read
this is allowed, even for contributors, as long as you work on
something new.

--
Marco

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-03-06 21:49     ` Jeroen Dekkers
From: Jeroen Dekkers @ 2007-03-06 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

At Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:07:16 +0100,
Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:44:21AM +0100, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> > "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <okuji@enbug.org> writes:
> > > As you may know, Google Summer of Code 2007 is about starting:
> >
> > Are we suggesting any tasks that could be done by the student(s)?
>
> That's how it is supposed to work, yes.  The mentoring organization (GNU)
> will publish a list of tasks it has mentors for.  From that list the
> students then can select.  This list of tasks is made up from the input
> that the individual GNU (sub)projects provide.  And their maintainers, in
> turn, can get ideas for tasks either from having them already in their
> minds or from students that say: ``Hey, if you put up such a task, then
> I'm going to apply for it.''
>
> So, if you have ideas for tasks and could imagine mentoring them, then
> speak up.

I think most tasks of http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-soc.html
still need to be done, so we could use that list to start from.

@ 2007-03-06 17:56     ` Er Zapito
From: Er Zapito @ 2007-03-06 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

Well, I'm still interested in developing a "fancy" menu interface. Anyway, I
had to develop a net module for the GRUB2, and I was working on write
support for the ext2 file system when the proyect was cancelled :/.

On 3/6/07, Thomas Schwinge <tschwinge@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:44:21AM +0100, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> > "Yoshinori K. Okuji" <okuji@enbug.org> writes:
> > > As you may know, Google Summer of Code 2007 is about starting:
> >
> > Are we suggesting any tasks that could be done by the student(s)?
>
> That's how it is supposed to work, yes.  The mentoring organization (GNU)
> will publish a list of tasks it has mentors for.  From that list the
> students then can select.  This list of tasks is made up from the input
> that the individual GNU (sub)projects provide.  And their maintainers, in
> turn, can get ideas for tasks either from having them already in their
> minds or from students that say: ``Hey, if you put up such a task, then
> I'm going to apply for it.''
>
> So, if you have ideas for tasks and could imagine mentoring them, then
> speak up.
>

> Regards,
> Thomas

---
erzapito@gmail.com   @  google talk :D
---

* Re: Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-03-06 17:07   ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2007-03-06 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Rydberg; +Cc: The development of GRUB 2

@ 2007-03-06 10:44 ` Johan Rydberg
From: Johan Rydberg @ 2007-03-06 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GRUB 2

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <okuji@enbug.org> writes:

> As you may know, Google Summer of Code 2007 is about starting:

Are we suggesting any tasks that could be done by the student(s)?

~j

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 190 bytes --]

* Google Summer of Code 2007
@ 2007-03-05 17:17 Yoshinori K. Okuji
From: Yoshinori K. Okuji @ 2007-03-05 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

As you may know, Google Summer of Code 2007 is about starting:

http://code.google.com/soc/

I would like to ask if anybody is willing to be a mentor for GNU GRUB this
year.

Last year's SoC was not organized well from my point of view, but this time
might be better than before. I myself don't plan to be a mentor this year. So
if nobody else wants to participate, we will give more possibility to other
projects in GNU (which is not bad at all), and we will not take advantage of
this program (which is not very good).

Okuji