* finger @finger.kernel.org -> Connection refused
@ 2007-02-08 23:27 Justin Piszcz
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-02-08 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

It appears to have been dead for awhile now, did I miss something?
One of my scripts uses this functionality, which now appears
dead/disabled/offline.

Can anyone provide an update?

Thanks,

Justin.

* Re: finger @finger.kernel.org -> Connection refused
@ 2007-02-08 23:30 ` Kyle McMartin
From: Kyle McMartin @ 2007-02-08 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 06:27:17PM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> It appears to have been dead for awhile now, did I miss something?
> One of my scripts uses this functionality, which now appears
> dead/disabled/offline.

Why not use this instead?
http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner

* Re: finger @finger.kernel.org -> Connection refused
@ 2007-02-08 23:36 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2007-02-08 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Piszcz; +Cc: linux-kernel

> It appears to have been dead for awhile now, did I miss something?
> One of my scripts uses this functionality, which now appears
> dead/disabled/offline.
>
> Can anyone provide an update?

kernel.org front page sayz:

Aug 21, 2003: Please don't use finger.kernel.org for any sort of
automatic monitoring. The number of automatic bots hitting this port is
causing the finger daemon to shut down more often than not. The same
information is available from http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner.

;-)

Jan
--
ft: http://freshmeat.net/p/chaostables/

* Re: finger @finger.kernel.org -> Connection refused
@ 2007-02-08 23:38   ` Justin Piszcz
From: Justin Piszcz @ 2007-02-08 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>> It appears to have been dead for awhile now, did I miss something?
>> One of my scripts uses this functionality, which now appears
>> dead/disabled/offline.
>>
>> Can anyone provide an update?
>
> kernel.org front page sayz:
>
> Aug 21, 2003: Please don't use finger.kernel.org for any sort of
> automatic monitoring. The number of automatic bots hitting this port is
> causing the finger daemon to shut down more often than not. The same
> information is available from http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner.
>
> ;-)
>

> Jan
> --
> ft: http://freshmeat.net/p/chaostables/

Thanks!

$ wget -q -O- http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner
The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is:           2.6.20
The latest snapshot for the stable Linux kernel tree is:    2.6.20-git1
The latest 2.4 version of the Linux kernel is:              2.4.34.1
The latest 2.2 version of the Linux kernel is:              2.2.26
The latest prepatch for the 2.2 Linux kernel tree is:       2.2.27-rc2
The latest -mm patch to the stable Linux kernels is:        2.6.20-rc6-mm3

Wget it is.

@ 2007-02-09 11:50   ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 2007-02-09 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle McMartin; +Cc: Justin Piszcz, linux-kernel

Kyle McMartin <kyle@mcmartin.ca> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 06:27:17PM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> > It appears to have been dead for awhile now, did I miss something?
> > One of my scripts uses this functionality, which now appears
> > dead/disabled/offline.
> >

> Why not use this instead?
> http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner

It also out of date. We're at git4 now and it shows git1

-Andi

* Re: finger @finger.kernel.org -> Connection refused
@ 2007-02-09 14:39     ` Kyle McMartin
From: Kyle McMartin @ 2007-02-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Kleen; +Cc: Justin Piszcz, linux-kernel

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 12:50:51PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Kyle McMartin <kyle@mcmartin.ca> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 06:27:17PM -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> > > It appears to have been dead for awhile now, did I miss something?
> > > One of my scripts uses this functionality, which now appears
> > > dead/disabled/offline.
> > >

> > Why not use this instead?
> > http://www.kernel.org/kdist/finger_banner
>
> It also out of date. We're at git4 now and it shows git1

Looks up to date to me...

The latest stable version of the Linux kernel is:           2.6.20
The latest snapshot for the stable Linux kernel tree is:    2.6.20-git4