* intelfb not working on Thinkpad R60
@ 2007-02-08 10:34 Marcus Better
From: Marcus Better @ 2007-02-08 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fbdev-devel

Hi,

(I'm re-posting this to since the -users list seems to be less active.)

I'm trying to use a framebuffer console with intelfb on my Thinkpad R60 with
Intel 945GM chipset and kernel 2.6.20-rc6. I get either no frame buffer
console or garbage depending on the configuration.

Here's the kernel command line:

~$ cat /proc/cmdline
root=/dev/mapper/root ro exec-shield=1 resume=/dev/mapper/swap
video=intelfb:mode=1024x768 fbcon=scrollback:64k vga=792

I tried several kernel configuration options:

*First, if I compile intelfb and fbcon into the kernel, and no other frame
buffer modules, I don't think the "vga" parameter is ever processed. I get a
blank console and the famous message
  intelfb: Video mode must be programmed at boot time.
in the log.

*If I also select CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT (which forces me to also include
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE), then it appears to switch to video mode at boot, but
the screen is garbled with horizontal multi-coloured stripes and the system
locks up before even booting.

(Side question: Should CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT really depend on
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE?)

*If I additionally compile in the vesafb driver, then it seems to grab the
console despite the "video=intelfb:..." command line argument, and I get a
working vesafb console.

~$ dmesg|grep ^[a-z]*fb:
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xf8880000, using 6144k, total
7872k
vesafb: mode is 1024x768x32, linelength=4096, pages=1
vesafb: protected mode interface info at 00ff:44f0
vesafb: scrolling: redraw
vesafb: Truecolor: size=8:8:8:8, shift=24:16:8:0
intelfb: intelfb_init
intelfb: Framebuffer driver for Intel(R)
830M/845G/852GM/855GM/865G/915G/915GM/945G/945GM chipsets
intelfb: Version 0.9.4
intelfb: intelfb_setup
intelfb: options: mode=1024x768
intelfb: intelfb_pci_register
intelfb: fb aperture: 0xd0000000/0x10000000, MMIO region: 0xee100000/0x80000
intelfb: Cannot reserve FB region.
intelfb: cleanup

(This is with the same command line as above.)

Regards,

Marcus

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.fbdev.devel/9264/focus=9285

* Re: intelfb not working on Thinkpad R60
@ 2007-02-08 18:56 ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2007-02-08 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcus Better; +Cc: linux-fbdev-devel

>*First, if I compile intelfb and fbcon into the kernel, and no other
>frame buffer modules, I don't think the "vga" parameter is ever
>processed. I get a blank console and the famous message   intelfb: Video
>mode must be programmed at boot time. in the log.

That is correct vga= is only used by vga console or vesafb. What vga= does
is pass a mode that the BIOS can set.

>(Side question: Should CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT really depend on
>CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE?)

No. CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT is used with vesafb as well.

>*If I additionally compile in the vesafb driver, then it seems to grab
>the console despite the "video=intelfb:..." command line argument, and I
>get a working vesafb console.

That is correct behavior. If the native driver fails then vesafb will
start. I bet the mode you can passing is incomplete. Please try
something like this

video=intelfb:mode:1024x768-8@75

* Re: intelfb not working on Thinkpad R60
@ 2007-02-09 10:16   ` Marcus Better
From: Marcus Better @ 2007-02-09 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fbdev-devel

James Simmons wrote:
>>*First, if I compile intelfb and fbcon into the kernel, and no other
>>frame buffer modules, I don't think the "vga" parameter is ever
>>processed.

> That is correct vga= is only used by vga console or vesafb.

Some people claim that the boot loader (Grub or Lilo?) is supposed to
interpret the vga= parameter and set the video mode through BIOS.

And what is this text doing in Documentation/fb/intelfb.txt:

  If setting this parameter doesn't work (you stay in a 80x25 text-mode),
  you might need to set the "vga=<mode>" parameter too - see vesafb.txt in
  this directory.

> I bet the mode you can passing is incomplete. Please try
> something like this
>
> video=intelfb:mode:1024x768-8@75

I suppose you mean "video=intelfb:mode=1024x768-8@75"? That doesn't help
either. I get the VGA console or vesafb, depending on whether the "vga="
option was given. Besides the depth and refresh rate parameters are
supposed to be optional.

Regards,

Marcus