* Results of the 'dropping support for kernels <2.6.22' poll
@ 2009-03-02 21:18 Hans Verkuil
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-03-02 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media; +Cc: Jean Delvare

Hi all,

Well, the polling station closed and the results are:

Yes: 32
No: 3

First of all thanks to all who responded! To be honest, I was quite
surprised at the number of votes received as I hadn't expected to get so
many. Thank you!

It was very interesting to read the reasons given for the yes or no vote.
Basically, all the Yes votes boiled down to this reply given by David
Ellingsworth:

"As others have already pointed out, it is a waste of time for developers
who volunteer their time to work on supporting prior kernel revisions for
use by enterprise distributions. The task of back-porting driver
modifications to earlier kernels lessens the amount of time developers can
focus on improving the quality and stability of new and existing drivers.
Furthermore, it deters driver development since there an expectation that
they will back-port their driver to earlier kernel versions. Finally, as a
developer, I have little interest in what was new yesterday. I usually run
the latest kernel whenever possible and for a number of different reasons.
Some of those reasons include better hardware support, bug detection, and
stability testing. All services greatly valued by other kernel developers."

Note that of the people that voted Yes about 10-15 are developers, and the
others are users of v4l-dvb. It's a bit imprecise since some of the people
who voted did contribute the occasional fix in the past, but are not active
developers. It's a bit of a grey area.

The three No votes (all from developers) boiled down to this reply from
Douglas Schilling Landgraf:

"I know it's not easy task keep this support working... but we still have
*users* around the world using kernel < 2.6.22 (as some of them already
reported this)."

It will come as no surprise when I say that I think that is not sufficient
reason for supporting kernels < 2.6.22. There are no doubt users still on
kernel 2.4 as well or even older. Yet we do not support those.

There are good reasons as a developer for keeping backwards compatibility
with older kernels:

1) a larger testers base.
2) that warm feeling you get when users can get their new card to work with
just v4l-dvb without having to upgrade their kernel.
3) as a developer you do not need to update to the latest kernel as well.
Very useful if the latest kernel introduces a regression on your hardware
as happened to me in the past.

There are also disadvantages:

1) it takes (unpaid!) time and effort to maintain the backward
compatibility.
2) as time goes by the code becomes ever harder to maintain due to the
accumulated kernel checks.
3) the additional complication of backwards compatibility code might deter
new developers.

There has to be a balance here. Currently it is my opinion that I'm spending
too much time on the backwards compat stuff. And that once all the i2c
modules are converted to the new framework both the maintainability and the
effort required to maintain the compat code will be improved considerably
by dropping support for kernels <2.6.22.

Yes, the testers base will be reduced by this, but I believe that the vast
majority of our users will not be affected by this. The poll did nothing to
change my mind on this. The one argument I've seen that I thought had merit
was with regards to netbooks, and the Asus eeePC in particular. Apparently
that distro uses 2.6.21 and whether that will be upgraded to a newer kernel
in the future is dubious.

But in the end it is really the same story: where do you put the line? If
the eeePC will never receive an update, does that mean we have to keep
maintaining support for 2.6.21 for many years to come? That's ridiculous
IMHO.

I think that my proposal to do our best to support the actively maintained
releases of the three top-distros makes sense. It will cater to the
majority of users, and limits the amount of work we need to do. And we know
that ugly workarounds can always be removed after a certain amount of time.

In the final analysis I'm the boss of my own time. And I've decided that
once the conversion of all the i2c modules is finished I'll stop spending
time on the compatibility code for kernels <2.6.22 as it is simply no
longer an effective use of my time. If someone else wants to spend time on
that, then that's great and I will of course answer questions or help in
whatever way is needed.

I know that Mauro thinks he can keep the backwards compat code in by doing
nifty code transformations. It would be nice if he succeeds (and I have no
doubt that it is possible given enough time and effort), but personally I
think it is time better spent elsewhere.

A final note regarding distros: we as v4l-dvb developers do not owe them
anything. We are not paid by them to provide support to their products.
It's *their* task to do so. If they want backwards compatibility for older
kernels, then they can assign and pay a developer to work on that.

So any argument along the lines of 'we need to support users of distro X' is
a false argument. It's the responsibility of distro X to support their
users. It definitely is not our responsibility.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: Results of the 'dropping support for kernels <2.6.22' poll
@ 2009-03-24 12:25 Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2009-03-24 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trent Piepho
  Cc: Mauro Carvalho Chehab, Devin Heitmueller, Hans Werner, linux-media

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> > When this thread was started, it was about dropping support for
>> > kernels < 2.6.22.  However, it has turned into a thread about moving
>> > to git and dropping support for *all* kernels less than the bleeding
>> > edge -rc candidate (only supporting them through a backport system for
>> > testers).  The two are very different things.
>
> Yes they are very different things.  I do not like a poll about dropping
> the current build system being disguised as a poll about dropping support
> for very old kernels.  How about a new poll, "should developers be
> required
> to have multiple systems and spend the majority of their time recompiling
> new kernels and testing nvidia and wireless drivers?"

The poll was just about dropping support for old kernels. Nothing more,
nothing less. There were a few who commented that they wouldn't mind
dropping all compatibility, but those were very much a minority. I for one
want to keep the compatibility code in one way or another so we can
support the last X kernels and make life easy for ourselves and for our
users.

Regards,

       Hans