* Primary mds failure
@ 2011-07-27 20:26 Jojy Varghese
From: Jojy Varghese @ 2011-07-27 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi
   We are observing that when the primary mds goes away(say OOM killer
victim), the client keeps on trying (forever) to write to it(try_write
method in the messenger) and eventually results in filesystem hang. So
the question is :

 - Why does the kernel client attempt another mds?
 - Is replication (mds) guaranteed to take place before the primary
mds goes down? In other words, is replication done preemtively or due
to a trigger (scheduled or event based)?

thanks again
Jojy

* Re: Primary mds failure
@ 2011-07-27 20:35 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2011-07-27 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jojy Varghese; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Jojy Varghese wrote:
> Hi
>    We are observing that when the primary mds goes away(say OOM killer
> victim), the client keeps on trying (forever) to write to it(try_write
> method in the messenger) and eventually results in filesystem hang. So
> the question is :
>
>  - Why does the kernel client attempt another mds?

As soon as another mds takes over for it the client will connect to them.
(Unless there's a bug in the old ceph_connection cleanup.)

>  - Is replication (mds) guaranteed to take place before the primary
> mds goes down? In other words, is replication done preemtively or due
> to a trigger (scheduled or event based)?

The MDS journals updates to the object store (where the objects are
replicated by multiple osds).  The MDS is careful to inform the client
which operations have committed and to prevent leakage of uncommitted
information from one client to another.  On reconnect, clients replay
their uncommitted state (by resending requests and re-writing back dirty
cap/inode metadata).

sage