* v0.42 released
@ 2012-02-20 18:01 Sage Weil
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sage Weil @ 2012-02-20 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

v0.42 is ready!  This has mostly been a stabilization release, with a few
critical bugs fixed.  There is also an across-the-board change in data
structure encoding that is not backwards-compatible, but is designed to
allow future changes to be (both forwards- and backwards-).

Notable changes include:

 * osd: new (non-backwards compatible!) encoding for all structures
 * osd: fixed bug with transactions being non-atomic (leaking across
   commit boundaries)
 * osd: track in-progress requests, log slow ones
 * osd: randomly choose pull target during recovery (better load balance)
 * osd: fixed recovery stall
 * mon: a few recovery bug fixes
 * mon: trim old auth files
 * mon: better detection/warning about down pgs
 * objecter: expose in-process requests via admin socket
 * new infrastructure for testing data structure encoding changes (forward
   and backward compatibility)

Aside from the data structure encoding change, there is relatively little
new code since v0.41.  This should be a pretty solid release.

For v0.43, we are working on merging a few big changes.  The main one is a
new key/value interface for objects: each object, instead of storing a
blob of bytes, would consist of a (potentially large) set of key/value
pairs that can be set/queried efficiently.  This is going to make a huge
difference for radosgw performance with large buckets, and will help with
large directories as well.  There is also ongoing stabilization work with
the OSD and new interfaces for administrators to query the state of the
cluster and diagnose common problems.

v0.42 can be found from the usual locations:

 * Git at git://github.com/NewDreamNetwork/ceph.git
 * Tarball at http://ceph.newdream.net/download/ceph-0.42.tar.gz
 * For Debian/Ubuntu packages, see http://ceph.newdream.net/docs/latest/ops/install/mkcephfs/#installing-the-packages

sage

* Re: v0.42 released
@ 2012-02-21  1:50 ` Diego Woitasen
       [not found] ` <102297594.gHJqPtTriy@pc10>
From: Diego Woitasen @ 2012-02-21  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Sage Weil <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
> v0.42 is ready!  This has mostly been a stabilization release, with a few
> critical bugs fixed.  There is also an across-the-board change in data
> structure encoding that is not backwards-compatible, but is designed to
> allow future changes to be (both forwards- and backwards-).
>
> Notable changes include:
>
>  * osd: new (non-backwards compatible!) encoding for all structures
>  * osd: fixed bug with transactions being non-atomic (leaking across
>   commit boundaries)
>  * osd: track in-progress requests, log slow ones
>  * osd: randomly choose pull target during recovery (better load balance)
>  * osd: fixed recovery stall
>  * mon: a few recovery bug fixes
>  * mon: trim old auth files
>  * mon: better detection/warning about down pgs
>  * objecter: expose in-process requests via admin socket
>  * new infrastructure for testing data structure encoding changes (forward
>   and backward compatibility)
>
> Aside from the data structure encoding change, there is relatively little
> new code since v0.41.  This should be a pretty solid release.
>
> For v0.43, we are working on merging a few big changes.  The main one is a
> new key/value interface for objects: each object, instead of storing a
> blob of bytes, would consist of a (potentially large) set of key/value
> pairs that can be set/queried efficiently.  This is going to make a huge
> difference for radosgw performance with large buckets, and will help with
> large directories as well.  There is also ongoing stabilization work with
> the OSD and new interfaces for administrators to query the state of the
> cluster and diagnose common problems.
>
> v0.42 can be found from the usual locations:
>
>  * Git at git://github.com/NewDreamNetwork/ceph.git
>  * Tarball at http://ceph.newdream.net/download/ceph-0.42.tar.gz
>  * For Debian/Ubuntu packages, see http://ceph.newdream.net/docs/latest/ops/install/mkcephfs/#installing-the-packages
>
> sage

Production ready, right?

:)

--
Diego Woitasen

* Re: v0.42 released
@ 2012-02-21  5:33   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2012-02-21  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Woitasen; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012, Diego Woitasen wrote:
> Production ready, right?

We are very close, at least with RADOS and RBD.

This is what we are focused on:

 - improving qa coverage.  it's grown by leaps and bounds over the last
   several months, and is getting better.
 - osd stability.  we are cleaning up a few bits of problematic code, and
   ensuring that the core functionality is well tested.  that includes
   api coverage, load/stress testing, and failure testing.  most of the
   recent work is in the 'thrashing' tests, which continously mark osds
   in/out and/or restart daemons.  these tests are all passing.
 - administrator tools.  we've identified the top 10 most likely failure
   scenarios that people are likely to see, and are going down the list to
   ensure that they are detected, reported, diagnosable, and ideally
   fixable.
 - key/value objects.  this is on of the few recent bits of new
   functionality, but it's needed to make radosgw perform well for large
   bucket sizes.

And very soon (next sprint?) we will be returning some attention to RBD
caching and layering.

sage

* Re: v0.42 released
@ 2012-02-21 16:44 ` Guido Winkelmann
       [not found] ` <102297594.gHJqPtTriy@pc10>
From: Guido Winkelmann @ 2012-02-21 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Am Montag, 20. Februar 2012, 10:01:55 schrieb Sage Weil:
> v0.42 is ready!  This has mostly been a stabilization release, with a few
> critical bugs fixed.  There is also an across-the-board change in data
> structure encoding that is not backwards-compatible, but is designed to
> allow future changes to be (both forwards- and backwards-).

Okay, what does that mean for updating from 0.41 to 0.42?

With data structure encodings, do you mean on-disk or on-wire? Am I at risk of
losing all my data?

Do I have to bring down the entire cluster and restart it, or can I restart it
piecemeal to avoid downtimes?

Can clients that still use 0.41 libs keep running?

Regards,

        Guido

PS: I'm sorry, I forgot again that this mailing list does not set reply-to
headers, and accidentally sent this to Sage personally. I'm going to learn it
one of these days...

* Re: v0.42 released
       [not found] ` <102297594.gHJqPtTriy@pc10>
@ 2012-02-21 21:12   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2012-02-21 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Winkelmann; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Guido Winkelmann wrote:
> Am Montag, 20. Februar 2012, 10:01:55 schrieben Sie:
> > v0.42 is ready!  This has mostly been a stabilization release, with a few
> > critical bugs fixed.  There is also an across-the-board change in data
> > structure encoding that is not backwards-compatible, but is designed to
> > allow future changes to be (both forwards- and backwards-).
>
> Okay, what does that mean for updating from 0.41 to 0.42?
>
> With data structure encodings, do you mean on-disk or on-wire? Am I at
> risk of losing all my data?

Both.  You won't lose any data (new code can real old structures), but it
means that once you move to v0.42 you can't go back to v0.41.  That
happens periodically (and unpredictably) in the past.  The whole point of
this change it to allow downgrades and better interoperation between
versions (so that old code can read new structures).

> Do I have to bring down the entire cluster and restart it, or can I
> restart it piecemeal to avoid downtimes?

In this case, you can do a sloppy upgrade and nothing will break.  v0.41
daemons won't talk to v0.42 daemons.

> Can clients that still use 0.41 libs keep running?

Yes.  The only incompatible change in the client protocol is for rados
pool listing (e.g., rados -p data ls -).  I would upgrade them when
you get a chance, though.

sage