* sockopts
@ 2014-06-27 15:13 netfilter
From: netfilter @ 2014-06-27 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

I am maintaining a proprietary netfilter module. The module fails to load
when ip_set is loaded and ip_set won't load when it is loaded. I think
this may be because the sockopt number the original developer chose
clashes with the number ip_set uses. Would this clash cause such a
problem?

I have read the netfilter hacking howto and searched, but I cannot find
any details of how to choose a sockopt number. Is there any documentation?

Thanks
Tim

* Re: sockopts
@ 2014-06-27 17:11 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2014-06-27 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Friday 2014-06-27 17:13, netfilter@tsaunders.co.uk wrote:

> I am maintaining a proprietary netfilter module. The module fails to load when
> ip_set is loaded and ip_set won't load when it is loaded. I think this may be
> because the sockopt number the original developer chose clashes with the number
> ip_set uses. Would this clash cause such a problem?
>
> I have read the netfilter hacking howto and searched, but I cannot find any
> details of how to choose a sockopt number. Is there any documentation?

There are no provisions for external software to select subsystem
numbers (either sockopt or netlink numbers). The closest thing that is
friendly to external modules is genetlink which uses a string that is
rather clash-free.