* new divide by zero errors in 1.1.5
@ 2003-06-08  5:54 Daniel Greenberg
From: Daniel Greenberg @ 2003-06-08  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Here is an interesting problem that shows itself in 1.1.5
and not in 1.1.4 or earlier versions of dosemu.

Certain programs (e.g., MSD.EXE, Word for Dos version 5.0)
fail with a divide by zero error message at startup.  (The error message
comes from within the dos session - dosemu itself doesn't crash.)
These programs started fine under previous versions of dosemu.
What is strange is that I can avoid these divide by zero errors if I start
and then exit certain other programs (e.g. paradox, edit, /dos/help,
dosshell) before trying to start Word or MSD.

Though I'm not certain, I suspect that when these other programs exit
they are restoring the video mode in some beneficial manner.

Dan Greenberg
Ann Arbor, MI

* Re: new divide by zero errors in 1.1.5
@ 2003-06-08 11:06 ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2003-06-08 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Greenberg; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Daniel Greenberg wrote:

> Here is an interesting problem that shows itself in 1.1.5
> and not in 1.1.4 or earlier versions of dosemu.

can you check 1.1.4.15 (www.dosemu.org/testing) to see if it is new or
really new?

> Certain programs (e.g., MSD.EXE, Word for Dos version 5.0)
> fail with a divide by zero error message at startup.  (The error message
> comes from within the dos session - dosemu itself doesn't crash.)
> These programs started fine under previous versions of dosemu.
> What is strange is that I can avoid these divide by zero errors if I start
> and then exit certain other programs (e.g. paradox, edit, /dos/help,
> dosshell) before trying to start Word or MSD.
>
> Though I'm not certain, I suspect that when these other programs exit
> they are restoring the video mode in some beneficial manner.

are you running DOSEMU on the console or in X (xdosemu)?
if you run it on the console, does $_vbios_post make any difference?

Bart

* Re: new divide by zero errors in 1.1.5
@ 2003-06-09  4:48   ` Daniel Greenberg
From: Daniel Greenberg @ 2003-06-09  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: linux-msdos

Thanks Bart for your reply and questions.  Here are the answers:

I get these divide-by-zero errors only from xdos, not from the console.
So when running DOS from the console the $_vbios_post setting
doesn't matter.  (Though setting $_vbios_post = (0) lets me avoid some
really nasty system crashes and lockups I was having with console
mode dosemu!)

It turns out the divide-by-zero problem isn't "really new," just new.
That is, 1.1.4.15 has the problem, but 1.1.4.0 is fine.  I picked
something in the middle - 1.1.4.8 - and found that it too had the "new"
divide-by-zero errors.  A couple more downloads and compiles and I
was able to isolate the introduction of the problem to 1.1.4.7.  That is,
1.1.4.6 runs without the "new" divide-by-zero errors, while
1.1.4.7 runs with the errors.  So apparently 1.1.4.7 was the first to
introduce this problem.

Hope this helps.

(By the way, I love the new full-screen xdos option!)

Thanks,

Dan Greenberg

----------------------------------------------------------------~

@ 2003-06-09 14:59     ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2003-06-09 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Greenberg; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Daniel Greenberg wrote:

> It turns out the divide-by-zero problem isn't "really new," just new.
> That is, 1.1.4.15 has the problem, but 1.1.4.0 is fine.  I picked
> something in the middle - 1.1.4.8 - and found that it too had the "new"
> divide-by-zero errors.  A couple more downloads and compiles and I
> was able to isolate the introduction of the problem to 1.1.4.7.  That is,
> 1.1.4.6 runs without the "new" divide-by-zero errors, while
> 1.1.4.7 runs with the errors.  So apparently 1.1.4.7 was the first to
> introduce this problem.

Thanks, that narrows it down a bit. I suspect that the initialization
(which was shuffled around a little in 1.1.4.7) is the culprit, but I
fail to see where.

Can you make hexdumps of the area from 0:0 to 0:500 for both DOSEMU's
(using DEBUG in DOS or using dosdebug with the "d" command) and see if
there are any differences, beyond the timer (4 bytes at 0:46c) and the
keyboard buffer (0:41a- - 0:43d)?

Bart

* Re: new divide by zero errors in 1.1.5
@ 2003-06-09 16:47       ` Daniel Greenberg
From: Daniel Greenberg @ 2003-06-09 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Oldeman; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Bart Oldeman wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Daniel Greenberg wrote:
>
> > It turns out the divide-by-zero problem isn't "really new," just new.
> > That is, 1.1.4.15 has the problem, but 1.1.4.0 is fine.  I picked
> > something in the middle - 1.1.4.8 - and found that it too had the "new"
> > divide-by-zero errors.  A couple more downloads and compiles and I
> > was able to isolate the introduction of the problem to 1.1.4.7.  That is,
> > 1.1.4.6 runs without the "new" divide-by-zero errors, while
> > 1.1.4.7 runs with the errors.  So apparently 1.1.4.7 was the first to
> > introduce this problem.
>
> Thanks, that narrows it down a bit. I suspect that the initialization
> (which was shuffled around a little in 1.1.4.7) is the culprit, but I
> fail to see where.
>
> Can you make hexdumps of the area from 0:0 to 0:500 for both DOSEMU's
> (using DEBUG in DOS or using dosdebug with the "d" command) and see if
> there are any differences, beyond the timer (4 bytes at 0:46c) and the
> keyboard buffer (0:41a- - 0:43d)?
>
> Bart
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-msdos" in

Comparing 1.1.4 & 1.1.5 the only difference I found was at 0:01C.  This is
in the interrupt vector table, no?  Not sure the significance of this
though. Otherwise - with the exception of the timer and keyboad buffer -
they are identical.

Dan