* xastir and gif maps
@ 2004-11-09 18:10 Thomas - OZ2AFO
From: Thomas - OZ2AFO @ 2004-11-09 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Shouldn't I be able to import uiview maps to xastir? (uiview uses gif
images).

All I see in xastir is black squares, where the map should be (when I choose
to use imported uiview maps)

/ Thomas - OZ2AFO

* Re: xastir and gif maps
@ 2004-11-09 18:16 ` Ralf Baechle DL5RB
From: Ralf Baechle DL5RB @ 2004-11-09 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas - OZ2AFO; +Cc: linux-hams

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 07:10:47PM +0100, Thomas - OZ2AFO wrote:

> Shouldn't I be able to import uiview maps to xastir? (uiview uses gif
> images).
>
> All I see in xastir is black squares, where the map should be (when I
> choose to use imported uiview maps)

They're working for me but are not very satisfying when zooming unless
using very large resolutions.  Vector maps are absolutely preferable
imho.

  Ralf

* Re: xastir and gif maps
@ 2004-11-09 18:19 ` Curt, WE7U
From: Curt, WE7U @ 2004-11-09 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas - OZ2AFO; +Cc: linux-hams

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Thomas - OZ2AFO wrote:

> Shouldn't I be able to import uiview maps to xastir? (uiview uses gif
> images).
>
> All I see in xastir is black squares, where the map should be (when I choose
> to use imported uiview maps)

Yes, it should work.  You have to run inf2geo.pl on each one in
order to create the .geo files that Xastir uses, then you have to
reindex the maps.

It's also possible that your ImageMagick is failing to bring up the
GIF images.  Try "display filename.gif" to see if it is capable of
displaying GIF's.

Also check that your map intensity didn't get set too low
(Map->Configure->Map Intensity).

* Re: xastir and gif maps
@ 2004-11-10  0:03   ` Ruben Navarro Huedo
From: Ruben Navarro Huedo @ 2004-11-10  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Curt Mills, WE7U; +Cc: Thomas - OZ2AFO, linux-hams

Same problem here with Debian Sarge.
With display map.gif i see my map, but trying to load it with xastir it
doesn't show :(

El Martes, 9 de Noviembre de 2004 19:19, Curt, WE7U escribió:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Thomas - OZ2AFO wrote:
> > Shouldn't I be able to import uiview maps to xastir? (uiview uses gif
> > images).
> >
> > All I see in xastir is black squares, where the map should be (when I
> > choose to use imported uiview maps)
>
> Yes, it should work.  You have to run inf2geo.pl on each one in
> order to create the .geo files that Xastir uses, then you have to
> reindex the maps.
>
> It's also possible that your ImageMagick is failing to bring up the
> GIF images.  Try "display filename.gif" to see if it is capable of
> displaying GIF's.
>
> Also check that your map intensity didn't get set too low
> (Map->Configure->Map Intensity).
>
> --
> Curt, WE7U			         http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
> "Lotto:    A tax on people who are bad at math." -- unknown
> -

Ruben Navarro Huedo
eb5esx (arroba) eb5esx.ampr.org
http://www.cabodesantapola.org
-

* Re: xastir and gif maps
@ 2004-11-10  0:59     ` Curt Mills
From: Curt Mills @ 2004-11-10  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruben Navarro Huedo; +Cc: Thomas - OZ2AFO, linux-hams

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Ruben Navarro Huedo wrote:

> Same problem here with Debian Sarge.
> With display map.gif i see my map, but trying to load it with xastir it
> doesn't show :(

There have been some bad versions of ImageMagick.  I'd try upgrading
that package.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer