* Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-03 12:06 rgrs
From: rgrs @ 2019-12-03 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

How do I fake sensor readings in OpenBMC?
We're trying to fake temperature sensors and make sure fans ramp up/down accordingly.

Please share any documents related to these tests.

Thanks,
Raj

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-03 13:49 ` Alexander Amelkin
From: Alexander Amelkin @ 2019-12-03 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

03.12.2019 15:06, rgrs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I fake sensor readings in OpenBMC?
> We're trying to fake temperature sensors and make sure fans ramp up/down
> accordingly.

We ended up patching the kernel driver to fake the readings by request.

I'm not aware of any ready interface in OpenBMC for that.

With best regards,
Alexander Amelkin

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-03 20:04   ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-12-03 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Amelkin, openbmc; +Cc: Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

On 12/3/19 5:49 AM, Alexander Amelkin wrote:
> 03.12.2019 15:06, rgrs wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do I fake sensor readings in OpenBMC?
>> We're trying to fake temperature sensors and make sure fans ramp up/down
>> accordingly.
>>
> We ended up patching the kernel driver to fake the readings by request.
>
> I'm not aware of any ready interface in OpenBMC for that.

If you're using d-bus sensors, the sensor property is writable. It is
also supported by patching the sensor value in redfish.

> With best regards,
> Alexander Amelkin

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-04  9:39     ` rgrs
From: rgrs @ 2019-12-04  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist; +Cc: Alexander Amelkin, openbmc, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

Hi James,

I tried busctl set-property,  but the values didn't change.
Are the steps below correct?
(test with both 'field mode' enabled and disabled)

root@obmc:~# busctl introspect xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-2439434288.Hwmon1  /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/INLET_TEMP xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value --no-pager
NAME                             TYPE      SIGNATURE RESULT/VALUE                             FLAGS
.MaxValue                        property  x         0                                        emits-change writable
.MinValue                        property  x         0                                        emits-change writable
.Scale                           property  x         -3                                       emits-change writable
.Unit                            property  s         "xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value.Unit.… emits-change writable
.Value                           property  x         18500                                    emits-change writable

root@obmc:~# busctl --no-pager set-property xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-2439434288.Hwmon1  /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/INLET_TEMP xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value  Value x 50000

root@saber:~# busctl --no-pager get-property xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-2439434288.Hwmon1  /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/INLET_TEMP xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value  Value
x 18500

root@obmc:~#

Thanks,
Raj

From: James Feist @ 2019-12-04 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgrs; +Cc: openbmc, Alexander Amelkin, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

On 12/4/19 1:39 AM, rgrs wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I tried busctl set-property,  but the values didn't change.
> Are the steps below correct?
> (test with both 'field mode' enabled and disabled)
>
> root@obmc:~# busctl introspect xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-2439434288.Hwmon1  /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/INLET_TEMP xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value --no-pager
> NAME                             TYPE      SIGNATURE RESULT/VALUE                             FLAGS
> .MaxValue                        property  x         0                                        emits-change writable
> .MinValue                        property  x         0                                        emits-change writable
> .Scale                           property  x         -3                                       emits-change writable
> .Unit                            property  s         "xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value.Unit.… emits-change writable

This looks like phosphor-hwmon, not dbus-sensors
https://github.com/openbmc/dbus-sensors.

> .Value                           property  x         18500                                    emits-change writable
>
> root@obmc:~# busctl --no-pager set-property xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-2439434288.Hwmon1  /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/INLET_TEMP xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value  Value x 50000
>
> root@saber:~# busctl --no-pager get-property xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-2439434288.Hwmon1  /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/INLET_TEMP xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value  Value
> x 18500
>
> root@obmc:~#
>
> Thanks,
> Raj

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-06 11:32         ` rgrs
From: rgrs @ 2019-12-06 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist; +Cc: openbmc, Alexander Amelkin, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

Hi,

I dont see any new service even after adding dbus-sensors.
Please can you point to any platform in upstream that I can refer to?

Thanks,
Raj

> > I tried busctl set-property, but the values didn't change.
> > Are the steps below correct?
> > (test with both 'field mode' enabled and disabled)
> > root@obmc:~# busctl introspect xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-2439434288.Hwmon1 /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/INLET_TEMP xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value --no-pager
> > NAME TYPE SIGNATURE RESULT/VALUE FLAGS
> > .MaxValue property x 0 emits-change writable
> > .MinValue property x 0 emits-change writable
> > .Scale property x -3 emits-change writable
> > .Unit property s "xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value.Unit.… emits-change writable
>
> This looks like phosphor-hwmon, not dbus-sensors
> https://github.com/openbmc/dbus-sensors.
>
> > .Value property x 18500 emits-change writable
> > root@obmc:~# busctl --no-pager set-property xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-2439434288.Hwmon1 /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/INLET_TEMP xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value Value x 50000
> > root@saber:~# busctl --no-pager get-property xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-2439434288.Hwmon1 /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/INLET_TEMP xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value Value
> > x 18500
> > root@obmc:~#
> > Thanks,
> > Raj

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-09 18:28           ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-12-09 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgrs; +Cc: openbmc, Alexander Amelkin, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

On 12/6/19 3:32 AM, rgrs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I dont see any new service even after adding dbus-sensors.
> Please can you point to any platform in upstream that I can refer to?

https://github.com/openbmc/meta-intel/blob/daa333d956ad9391abcbb85468d9bc9f26ee1190/meta-common/recipes-intel/packagegroups/packagegroup-intel-apps.bb#L43

https://github.com/openbmc/meta-facebook/blob/master/meta-tiogapass/recipes-fbtp/packagegroups/packagegroup-fb-apps.bb

If you do a ps do you see any of the sensor daemons running?

root@intel-obmc:~# ps | grep -i sensor
   332 root      6008 S    /usr/bin/adcsensor
   333 root      6356 S    /usr/bin/cpusensor
   334 root      5784 S    /usr/bin/exitairtempsensor
   335 root      5696 S    /usr/bin/fansensor
   336 root      5608 S    /usr/bin/hwmontempsensor
   337 root      5660 S    intrusionsensor
   339 root      5716 S    /usr/bin/ipmbsensor
   340 root      5512 S    /usr/bin/mcutempsensor
   341 root      5868 S    /usr/bin/psusensor
   588 root      2776 S    grep -i sensor
root@intel-obmc:~#

If so then you'll need to add entity-manager configurations like these:

https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/7d807754cc9153b04b599804464edd9654d7a81e/configurations/WFT%20Baseboard.json#L2023

Thanks

James

> Thanks,
> Raj

>>> Thanks,
>>> Raj

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-11  9:14             ` rgrs
From: rgrs @ 2019-12-11  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist; +Cc: openbmc, Alexander Amelkin, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

Hi James,

I don't see any results for the grep command.

Our platform was built referencing Witherspoon IIRC.

Below links were used during porting,

https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/development/add-new-system.md

https://developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/2019/01/07/how-to-port-openbmc/

I don't see "entity manager" being used in above links. Is it something specific to Intel servers?

If I were to port a new board today, which is the reference platform or guide to refer?

Thx,
Raj

> > I dont see any new service even after adding dbus-sensors.
> > Please can you point to any platform in upstream that I can refer to?
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/meta-intel/blob/daa333d956ad9391abcbb85468d9bc9f26ee1190/meta-common/recipes-intel/packagegroups/packagegroup-intel-apps.bb#L43
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/meta-facebook/blob/master/meta-tiogapass/recipes-fbtp/packagegroups/packagegroup-fb-apps.bb
>
> If you do a ps do you see any of the sensor daemons running?
>
> root@intel-obmc:~# ps | grep -i sensor
> 332 root 6008 S /usr/bin/adcsensor
> 333 root 6356 S /usr/bin/cpusensor
> 334 root 5784 S /usr/bin/exitairtempsensor
> 335 root 5696 S /usr/bin/fansensor
> 336 root 5608 S /usr/bin/hwmontempsensor
> 337 root 5660 S intrusionsensor
> 339 root 5716 S /usr/bin/ipmbsensor
> 340 root 5512 S /usr/bin/mcutempsensor
> 341 root 5868 S /usr/bin/psusensor
> 588 root 2776 S grep -i sensor
> root@intel-obmc:~#
>
> If so then you'll need to add entity-manager configurations like these:
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/7d807754cc9153b04b599804464edd9654d7a81e/configurations/WFT Baseboard.json#L2023
>
> Thanks
>
> James
>
> > Thanks,
> > Raj

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-11 17:29               ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-12-11 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgrs; +Cc: openbmc, Alexander Amelkin, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

On 12/11/19 1:14 AM, rgrs wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I don't see any results for the grep command.
>
> Our platform was built referencing Witherspoon IIRC.
>
> Below links were used during porting,
>
> https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/development/add-new-system.md
>
> https://developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/2019/01/07/how-to-port-openbmc/
>
> I don't see "entity manager" being used in above links. Is it something specific to Intel servers?

Entity-manager is here: https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager, there
is a readme checked in with some basic information.

There is also a guide here for adding your first sensors:
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/docs/my_first_sensors.md

Configuration files are here:
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/tree/master/configurations

First step is to add dbus-sensors and entity-manager to your image like
the earlier provided links.

Thanks,

James

> If I were to port a new board today, which is the reference platform or guide to refer?
>
> Thx,
> Raj

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-12  5:28                 ` rgrs
From: rgrs @ 2019-12-12  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist; +Cc: openbmc, Alexander Amelkin, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

Hi James,

Thanks for the help.

One more clarification please,

How is entity-manager different from phoshor-hwmon conf files?

It contains thresholds too. I was under the assumption IPMI events & logs were generated based on these conf files.

LABEL_curriout2 = "p1_vddr_current"
WARNLO_curriout2 = "0"
CRITLO_curriout2 = "0"
WARNHI_curriout2 = "115000"
CRITHI_curriout2 = "130000"

LABEL_invout2 = "p1_vddr_voltage"
WARNLO_invout2 = "0"
CRITLO_invout2 = "0"
WARNHI_invout2 = "1280"
CRITHI_invout2 = "1350"

Thanks,
Raj

> > I don't see any results for the grep command.
> > Our platform was built referencing Witherspoon IIRC.
> > Below links were used during porting,
> > https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/development/add-new-system.md
> > https://developer.ibm.com/linuxonpower/2019/01/07/how-to-port-openbmc/
> > I don't see "entity manager" being used in above links. Is it something specific to Intel servers?
>
> Entity-manager is here:https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager, there
> is a readme checked in with some basic information.
>
> There is also a guide here for adding your first sensors:
> https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/docs/my_first_sensors.md
>
> Configuration files are here:
> https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/tree/master/configurations
>
> First step is to add dbus-sensors and entity-manager to your image like
> the earlier provided links.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James
>
> > If I were to port a new board today, which is the reference platform or guide to refer?
> > Thx,
> > Raj

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-12 15:57                   ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-12-12 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgrs; +Cc: openbmc, Alexander Amelkin, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

On 12/11/19 9:28 PM, rgrs wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> One more clarification please,
>
> How is entity-manager different from phoshor-hwmon conf files?

Entity-manager does runtime detection based on available d-bus
properties. In most cases it's based on Fru Detection, but anything on
d-bus can be used to configure. So you can write Probe statements (at
the bottom of the configuration files in most cases) that say when this
key/value pair exists on d-bus, install this configuration. This is most
useful for add-in-cards or other removable devices, so that when it
exists, the configuration gets loaded. For example this retimer card
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/configurations/PCIE%20SSD%20Retimer.json
says when a Fru Exists with BOARD_PRODUCT_NAME set to a specific value,
then load these sensors. It can then export sensors to sysfs as well if
needed. Entity-manager is also not limited to sensors, it also
configures things like phosphor-pid-control
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/7d807754cc9153b04b599804464edd9654d7a81e/configurations/WFT%20Baseboard.json#L1678.
We use it specifically so we can use 1 binary for multiple baseboards
assuming similar i2c topology. At a high-level view, it takes JSON and
when appropriate fields are available on d-bus, puts a system
configuration on d-bus, along with being able to export some i2c devices.

Hope this helps

-James

* Re: Faking Sensor Readings
@ 2019-12-13  6:06                     ` rgrs
From: rgrs @ 2019-12-13  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist; +Cc: openbmc, Alexander Amelkin, Thomaiyar, Richard Marian

Understood now. Thanks for the detailed reply.

~raj