* memory overcomittment with sr-iov device assighment
@ 2022-06-07  3:59 alex.nlnnfn
From: alex.nlnnfn @ 2022-06-07  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hello list,

I looked into Xen documentation and also Xen wiki and I could't find a definitive answer if Xen supports memory over-commitment when VMs use SR-IOV device assignment (passthrough). Memory over-commitment I mean giving VMs more RAM than is available in the host.

I know that ESX doesn't support it, and also QEMU/KVM pins all RAM when a device is directly assigned to a VM (VFIO_IOMMU_MAP_DMA ioctl). I have two questions:

1. Does Xen supports memory over commitment when all VMs are using direct device assignment e.g., SR-IOV?
2. Would you please point me to the code that does the pinning?

Thanks,
Alex