* Re: Why can't su root ./dosemu ?
@ 2004-01-11 11:54 easlab
From: easlab @ 2004-01-11 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos; +Cc: easlab

Claudia wrote:
> Try newest version dosemu-1.1.99.1, where you don't have to run dosemu
> as root for parport usage.
> Runing programs as root is always a bad advice.

OK ! I have to ask: how is it possible that with an application which is
a decade old, I could have down loaded and installed a very out of date
version, just 2 weeks ago ?

My log shows:-
http://dosemu.sourceforge.net/mirrors.txt

The following sites are known to mirror
  ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/emulators/dosemu/         US

...snip several ..

  ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.dosemu.org/                 DE
    This site in return is mirrored by (atleast):
  ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.dosemu.org/                 DE
    This site in return is mirrored by (atleast):
    ftp://ftp.fh-koeln.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.dosemu.org/           DE
FTP.Open ftp.fh-koeln.de ~ == connecting failed ? need "--"
ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.dosemu.org/   < -- OK
The DOSEMU/FreeDos ready-to-use binary distribution.
                                  -- Hans <lermen@fgan.de>
				     2001/06/20
-r--r--r--    1 emoenke  ftp        757140 Jun 10  2001 dosemu-1.0.2-bin.tgz
== latest version !
So we see: some 'garbage collection needs to be done.
I've just wasted further resources navigating:
ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/emulators/dosemu/
 withgout finding the recommended version.

Perhaps someone can direct me to the URL of the *1.1.99.1*tgz ?
Please.

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.

* Re: Why can't su root ./dosemu ?
@ 2004-01-11 12:19 ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2004-01-11 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: easlab; +Cc: linux-msdos

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 easlab@absamail.co.za wrote:

> Am Samstag, 10. Januar 2004 21:32 schrieb easlab@absamail.co.za:
> > > For the sole purpose of being able to use a DOS application which
> > > drives my par-port from linux, I installed
> > > dosemu-1.0.2-bin.tgz   and    dosemu-freedos.bin.tgz
> > > to my red-hat6.2 to dir:
> > > /home/crg/DOSEMU/dosemu
> > >   which gave me 4 sub-dirs: conf, freedos, bin, Xfonts.
>
> Claudia wrote:
> > Try newest version dosemu-1.1.99.1, where you don't have to run dosemu
> > as root for parport usage.
> > Runing programs as root is always a bad advice.
>
> OK ! I have to ask: how is it possible that with an application which is
> a decade old, I could have down loaded and installed a very out of date
> version, just 2 weeks ago ?
>
> My log shows:-
> http://dosemu.sourceforge.net/mirrors.txt

it means that the mirrors still haven't picked up the newest versions,
sorry I haven't checked them recently.
Have a look at www.dosemu.org -- there are more ways to find something.

Bart

* Re: Why can't su root ./dosemu ?
@ 2004-01-11 22:38 easlab
From: easlab @ 2004-01-11 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: easlab; +Cc: linux-msdos

> > Claudia wrote:
> > > Try newest version dosemu-1.1.99.1, where you don't have to run
> > > dosemu as root for parport usage.
> > > Runing programs as root is always a bad advice.

Please don't punish me as a beta tester for your Ver 1.1.99.1 !
Just tell me how to use the stable version 1.0.2 to drive par-port(s).
Other users have done this.

> > OK ! I have to ask: how is it possible that with an application which is
> > a decade old, I could have down loaded and installed a very out of date
> > version, just 2 weeks ago ?
> >
> > My log shows:-
> > http://dosemu.sourceforge.net/mirrors.txt
>
> it means that the mirrors still haven't picked up the newest versions,
> sorry I haven't checked them recently.
>
> Have a look at www.dosemu.org

That's were I started which led to the 'mirrors' which are not updated.

> -- there are more ways to find something.

There are MANY ways to failure.   Lets try to reduce them.

Here's what I find:
1.  when I try to download Ver 1.1.99.1 as advised, I get spam in my face:
->>>         Browse SourceForge - Shop Thinkgeek - ...
->>>    [_] Send me photos of my matches. Plus uncover the secrets of
->>>    * Buy cool stuff from our network
->>>     Lowest Price: $96.99

2. AFTER you have unpacked the tarball its contents: README.bindist
 tells you how the unpack the tar ball ! ?

3. Similarly the script 'dosemu' which is only available after unpacking
its parent-tarball, has code to (possibly) unpack the tarball ! ?
      tar -xzf $SYSTEM_INSTALL_PATH/dosemu-bin.tgz
      tar -xzf $SYSTEM_INSTALL_PATH/dosemu-freedos-bin.tgz

4. Following the apparently out of date (invalid) documentation
 with Ver. 1.1.99.1:
== select a new, clean directory; try as root:
# tar -zxf dosemu-freedos-bin.tgz
[root@localhost mydos]# ls
dosemu  dosemu-1.1.99.1-bin.tgz  dosemu-freedos-bin.tgz
# tar -zxf dosemu-1.1.99.1-bin.tgz

cd dosemu
[root@localhost dosemu]# ls
FDchange.log  README.bindist  Xfonts  bin  conf  dosemu  freedos  xdosemu
[root@localhost dosemu]# ./xdosemu

 Creating symbolic link for bootdirectory as /root/.dosemu/drives/c  <-- OK

./dosemu: readlink: command not found     <--? no such 'executable' ?
./dosemu: /../bin/dosemu.bin: No such file or directory
exec: /../bin/dosemu.bin: cannot execute: No such file or directory

---------------------------------
Indeed the command 'readlink' called from within script dosemu is
unknown to my RH 6.2 installation.
 Perhaps this cause the problem of the existing bin/dosemu.bin
not being accessible ?

== Chris Glur.

* Re: Why can't su root ./dosemu ?
@ 2004-01-10 22:29 ` Claudia Neumann
From: Claudia Neumann @ 2004-01-10 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Samstag, 10. Januar 2004 21:32 schrieb easlab@absamail.co.za:
> For the sole purpose of being able to use a DOS application which
> drives my par-port from linux, I installed
> dosemu-1.0.2-bin.tgz   and    dosemu-freedos.bin.tgz
> to my red-hat6.2 to dir:
> /home/crg/DOSEMU/dosemu
>   which gave me 4 sub-dirs: conf, freedos, bin, Xfonts.

Try newest version dosemu-1.1.99.1, where you don't have to run dosemu as root
for parport usage. Runing programs as root is always a bad advice.

cu

Claudia

* Why can't su root ./dosemu ?
@ 2004-01-10 20:32 easlab
From: easlab @ 2004-01-10 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos; +Cc: easlab

For the sole purpose of being able to use a DOS application which
drives my par-port from linux, I installed
dosemu-1.0.2-bin.tgz   and    dosemu-freedos.bin.tgz
to my red-hat6.2 to dir:
/home/crg/DOSEMU/dosemu
  which gave me 4 sub-dirs: conf, freedos, bin, Xfonts.

Several test on other DOS applications run OK.

But I can't run as root in order to access the par-port.
The various HOW2s refer to files which don't exist in my instalation. eg:
> ..........Thus you should
> not allow users to run a suid root copy of dosemu, wherever possible,
> but only a non-suid copy. You can configure this on a per-user basis
> using the /etc/dosemu.users file.

?! /etc/dosemu.user  does not exist

I have edited the ..dosemu/conf/dosemu.conf  for:
$_ports  , but the problem is to be able to run as root.

Here's the trace of my failed atempt:
[crg@localhost dosemu]$ su root ./dosemu    <--- use this
Password:
==
  Your are logged in as user root. The local configuration within
    this DOSEMU installation is not intended for secure operation.
      You need to run this as normal unprivileged user.

Obviously also after logging in as root, I can't run dosemu.

Please tell what are the adjustments needed to drive my par-port.

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.