* [Xenomai] Benchmarking the hardware by creating tasks
@ 2016-08-31  6:14 Sripath Roy Koganti
From: Sripath Roy Koganti @ 2016-08-31  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi

I am a new user to Xenomai and a beginner lever programmer. I just started working on this framework or any RTOS. I need help/suggestions with the following

  *   I want to generate few tasks one set with simple logic (arithmetic) and other set involving floating point ops and wish to test the latency and context switch times between the tasks. Can you suggest any simpler tasks which could help me do that.
  *
  *   Also wish to test the above tasks by assigning various priorities and evaluate functioning of various schd algorithms on multicore environment.

I have seen various benchmark tests which are predefined, but i wish to create the tasks on my own by setting the priorities. Also where can i study the source of the benchmark tests

It really helps to understand the functioning of the Framework by providing resources about tasks creation and implementation.

Regards
Sripath Roy Koganti

* Re: [Xenomai] Benchmarking the hardware by creating tasks
@ 2016-09-02  7:50 ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2016-09-02  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sripath Roy Koganti, xenomai

On 08/31/2016 08:14 AM, Sripath Roy Koganti wrote:
> Hi
>

> I am a new user to Xenomai and a beginner lever programmer. I just started working on this framework or any RTOS. I need help/suggestions with the following
>

>   *   I want to generate few tasks one set with simple logic (arithmetic) and other set involving floating point ops and wish to test the latency and context switch times between the tasks. Can you suggest any simpler tasks which could help me do that.
>   *
>   *   Also wish to test the above tasks by assigning various priorities and evaluate functioning of various schd algorithms on multicore environment.
>
> I have seen various benchmark tests which are predefined, but i wish to create the tasks on my own by setting the priorities. Also where can i study the source of the benchmark tests
>

> It really helps to understand the functioning of the Framework by providing resources about tasks creation and implementation.

You have many programs in code source form available from the Xenomai
distro, notably under the demo/ and testsuite/ directories. A way to
measure latency is specifically illustrated by testsuite/latency.
Interpreting the various options of the latency program and how they
translate into actual code is made easier by reading this manpage:
http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-3/html/man1/latency/index.html

Assuming you want to run a dual kernel configuration, the POSIX services
such code uses are documented here:
http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-3/html/xeno3prm/group__cobalt__api.html

Some code from the demo tree is implemented with the alchemy API
instead, which is documented here:
http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-3/html/xeno3prm/group__alchemy.html

--
Philippe.

* Re: [Xenomai] Benchmarking the hardware by creating tasks
@ 2016-09-04 10:14   ` Sripath Roy Koganti
From: Sripath Roy Koganti @ 2016-09-04 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Gerum, xenomai

Thanks

I would like to generate 10 different tasks and wish to test the context switching times between those tasks when run in preemptive mode.

Can i go with modifying the switch-test program.

Regards
Sripath Roy Koganti

________________________________

@ 2016-09-04 17:10     ` Philippe Gerum
From: Philippe Gerum @ 2016-09-04 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sripath Roy Koganti, xenomai

On 09/04/2016 12:14 PM, Sripath Roy Koganti wrote:
> Thanks
>

> I would like to generate 10 different tasks and wish to test the context
> switching times between those tasks when run in preemptive mode.
>

> Can i go with modifying the switch-test program.

I would not do that, switchtest is too complex and irrelevant to your
goal, beyond creating threads. You should write your own benchmark
program from scratch, keeping it simple so that results can be verified
by a clear, lean and mean implementation.

The documentation and the example/latency code I pointed you at contain
everything you need for that, from thread creation to time measurements.
I believe that it would be the best way to learn the usage and get your
feet wet with the framework.

--
Philippe.