* RTnet plan to support qdisc, zero copy, XDP?
@ 2020-09-07  1:45 Peter Wong
From: Peter Wong @ 2020-09-07  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Is there any plan for support qdisc, zero copy, XDP in RTnet?

* Re: RTnet plan to support qdisc, zero copy, XDP?
@ 2020-09-09  8:05 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-09-09  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Wong, xenomai

On 07.09.20 03:45, Peter Wong via Xenomai wrote:
> Is there any plan for support qdisc, zero copy, XDP in RTnet?

Plans aren't concrete yet, but renovation (or replacement) of RTnet is
needed, specifically to support TSN. Ideally, we do that with maximum
reuse of kernel infrastructure, "just" adding the fast-path access from
an RT application. Or we look into reusing DPDK which is gaining TSN
support as well and has a Linux-free data path already.

Jan

* Re: RTnet plan to support qdisc, zero copy, XDP?
@ 2020-09-10  6:34   ` Peter Wong
From: Peter Wong @ 2020-09-10  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

The plan is to have new xenomai socket API for send RT traffic to xenomai core network stack -> then to linux driver?

There is switching overhead between cobalt and linux ?
________________________________

@ 2020-09-10  6:42     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-09-10  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Wong, xenomai

On 10.09.20 08:34, Peter Wong wrote:
> The plan is to have new xenomai socket API for send RT traffic to
> xenomai core network stack -> then to linux driver?
>
> There is switching overhead between cobalt and linux ?

No, the plan is not using the Linux drivers for the dataplane as that
would defeat the purpose of having a separate scheduling domain with cobalt.

If we used Linux, that would be for setup, background clock
synchronization etc. Dataplane will either require own drivers again, or
we may reuse DPDK.

Jan

@ 2020-09-10  7:44       ` Peter Wong
From: Peter Wong @ 2020-09-10  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka, xenomai

We can use one NIC on linux(time sync) and cobalt/DPDK(fast data path) in parallel?