* Questions regarding the still unpublished qemu series https://github.com/yiliu1765/qemu/tree/zhenzhong/wip/iommufd_nesting_rfcv1
       [not found] <CGME20231220121121eucas1p23ee600a82137ce935bf182e0e8ce76fe@eucas1p2.samsung.com>
@ 2023-12-20 12:11 ` Joel Granados
From: Joel Granados @ 2023-12-20 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yi Liu, Zhenzhong Duan
  Cc: Alex Williamson, Eric Auger, Nicolin Chen, Kevin Tian,
	Jason Gunthorpe, qemu-devel

Hello Everyone

While running https://github.com/yiliu1765/qemu/tree/zhenzhong/wip/iommufd_nesting_rfcv1
I have come across particular code path that seems odd:

I'm hitting an assert in softmmu/memory.c:1994 after calling a
notification from vtd_flt_page_walk_level. The code in memory.c:1994
makes sure that when type==IOMMU_NOTIFIER_UNMAP, the permissions are
IOMMU_NONE. But the code in vtd_flt_page_walk_level sets the
permissions to read|write. This is part of the "intel_iommu: piotlb
invalidation should notify unmap" commit in the iommufd_nesting_rfcv1
series.

Question is: Why assert on the permissions being NONE if they might be
read|write?

Hope this makes sense. Don't hesitate to get back to me if you see that
there is something missing in my explanation.

Best

--

Joel Granados

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: Questions regarding the still unpublished qemu series https://github.com/yiliu1765/qemu/tree/zhenzhong/wip/iommufd_nesting_rfcv1
  2023-12-20 12:11 ` Questions regarding the still unpublished qemu series https://github.com/yiliu1765/qemu/tree/zhenzhong/wip/iommufd_nesting_rfcv1 Joel Granados
@ 2023-12-21  3:33   ` Duan, Zhenzhong
From: Duan, Zhenzhong @ 2023-12-21  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Granados, Liu, Yi L
  Cc: Alex Williamson, Eric Auger, Nicolin Chen, Tian, Kevin,
	Jason Gunthorpe, qemu-devel

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your report, you are right. We had seen the same issue with
vhost device and have it fixed internally. Did you also use a vhost device
or not?

The link you used is a bit old, could you try with https://github.com/yiliu1765/qemu/commits/zhenzhong/iommufd_nesting_rfcv1/

Thanks
Zhenzhong