* [Intel-wired-lan] intermittent ixgbe transmit queue timeouts in v5.18 kernels
@ 2022-06-02 21:37 Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2022-06-02 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-wired-lan, anthony.l.nguyen, jesse.brandeburg
  Cc: Ilya Dryomov, Xiubo Li, Venky Shankar

The Ceph project test lab has a fairly large cluster of machines with
ixgbe adapters:

    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)

Recently, we've started getting intermittent tx queue timeouts with
these machines. One of them is reported here:

    https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/55823

Usually this happens when we're trying to do a sync, and there is a
flurry of transmission activity. Afterward we see a lot of fallout in
ceph culminating in softlockups.

The kernels we're testing have some patches that are not yet in
mainline, but mostly they are confined to net/ceph and fs/ceph, and
shouldn't really affect hw drivers.

The problem manifested pretty regularly during v5.18 and then I didn't
see it for a while. I had figured it was something that had been fixed,
but I think it was just "luck".

I attempted a bisect a while back, and ruled out recent ceph changes as
the issue. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to a conclusive patch
that broke it, but I think it likely crept in during the initial merge
window for v5.18 (pre-rc1).

One other oddity: the test lab often installs bleeding-edge kernels on
old distros (RHEL8 and Ubuntu from similar era). Is it possible that the
firmware that ships with these older distros is not suitable for the
more recent driver in v5.18 ?

Any thoughts or suggestions on things we can do to fix this?

Jeff Layton <jlayton@kernel.org>