* [Buildroot] Define dependency package only in staging
@ 2023-02-14 21:13 Afshin Pir
From: Afshin Pir @ 2023-02-14 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi All

I wonder if it is possible that to force the dependant package to be installed only in staging folder. For example, I have written package A which depend on Package B like this:
config BR2_PACKAGE_A
               bool "my-a-provider"
               select BR2_PACKAGE_B
               help
                       Test A Package
The problem is that the above configuration installs B in the target, but in reality, it is enough to be installed in staging directory (since it provides a header-only version). In there anyway to define a dependency for staging only?

Best Regards,
Afshin
________________________________
This email is confidential and may contain information subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient please advise us of our error by return e-mail then delete this email and any attached files. You may not copy, disclose or use the contents in any way. The views expressed in this email may not be those of Gallagher Group Ltd or subsidiary companies thereof.

* Re: [Buildroot] Define dependency package only in staging
@ 2023-02-14 21:20 ` Baruch Siach via buildroot
       [not found]   ` <SY2PR01MB27785A7F0A589B49D0ABE42994A29@SY2PR01MB2778.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com>
From: Baruch Siach via buildroot @ 2023-02-14 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Afshin Pir; +Cc: buildroot

Hi Afshin,

On Tue, Feb 14 2023, Afshin Pir wrote:
> I wonder if it is possible that to force the dependant package to be
> installed only in staging folder. For example, I have written package
> A which depend on Package B like this:
>
> config BR2_PACKAGE_A
>                bool "my-a-provider"
>                select BR2_PACKAGE_B
>                help
>                        Test A Package
>
> The problem is that the above configuration installs B in the target,
> but in reality, it is enough to be installed in staging directory
> (since it provides a header-only version). In there anyway to define a
> dependency for staging only?

'<PKG>_INSTALL_TARGET = NO' might help you.

baruch

--
                                                     ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
   - baruch@tkos.co.il - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -

@ 2023-02-15  5:20     ` Baruch Siach via buildroot
From: Baruch Siach via buildroot @ 2023-02-15  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Afshin Pir; +Cc: buildroot

Hi Afshin,

Please keep the list on Cc.

On Tue, Feb 14 2023, Afshin Pir wrote:
> You mean will it work if I add that in package "A" configuration like this:
>         B_INSTALL_TARGE = NO
> Because normally each package its own configuration.

That should be

  B_INSTALL_TARGET = NO

But now I see that you want B out of target only when A selects B, not
for the general case, right? There is no direct support for that in
Buildroot. You can always use a post build script to remove whatever you
like from your target.

Alternatively you can add a blind config symbol to package B Config.in
that adds 'B_INSTALL_TARGET = NO', and then select this symbol from
package A.

baruch