* Adding openjdk-11 to Yocto
@ 2023-01-30 17:14 dspore
From: dspore @ 2023-01-30 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello!

I am working with Kirkstone release and need to add java openjdk-11.  I have a program which requires it.  From what I can find, the meta-java layer only supports openjdk-7 and openjdk-8.
I've looked through various forums with no luck.  Is there a recipe for openjdk-11?

Hoping somebody can  help!  Thanks.

David

* Re: [yocto] Adding openjdk-11 to Yocto
@ 2023-01-30 20:27 ` Richard Leitner - SKIDATA
From: Richard Leitner - SKIDATA @ 2023-01-30 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, dspore

Hi David,
unfortunately none I'm aware of.

But if you have time to add java 11 (or newer) support to meta-java I can give support/guidance.

regards;rl

@ 2023-01-31 14:39   ` Robert Joslyn
       [not found]     ` <Y9o+Za7X8j20qRIS@g0hl1n.net>
From: Robert Joslyn @ 2023-01-31 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Leitner; +Cc: yocto, dspore

> On Jan 30, 2023, at 12:27 PM, Richard Leitner <richard.leitner@skidata.com> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
> unfortunately none I'm aware of.
>
> But if you have time to add java 11 (or newer) support to meta-java I can give support/guidance.
>
> regards;rl

Is there any interest in adding recipes that install pre-built Java binaries to meta-java? I needed a newer Java and the easy way was to make a recipe to install the Adoptium binaries: https://github.com/bobolopolis/meta-adoptium/blob/main/recipes-core/temurin/temurin-jdk-17-bin_17.0.6%2B10.bb

This was fine for my purposes, but obviously there’s tradeoffs to using someones pre-built binary. I can send a patch to add these to meta-java if it would be useful to others.

Thanks,
Robert

@ 2023-02-02  3:32       ` Robert Joslyn
From: Robert Joslyn @ 2023-02-02  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Leitner; +Cc: Richard Leitner, yocto, dspore

> On Feb 1, 2023, at 2:26 AM, Richard Leitner <richard.leitner@linux.dev> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 06:39:08AM -0800, Robert Joslyn wrote:
>>
>>> On Jan 30, 2023, at 12:27 PM, Richard Leitner <richard.leitner@skidata.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David,
>>> unfortunately none I'm aware of.
>>>
>>> But if you have time to add java 11 (or newer) support to meta-java I can give support/guidance.
>>>
>>> regards;rl
>>
>> Is there any interest in adding recipes that install pre-built Java binaries to meta-java? I needed a newer Java and the easy way was to make a recipe to install the Adoptium binaries: https://github.com/bobolopolis/meta-adoptium/blob/main/recipes-core/temurin/temurin-jdk-17-bin_17.0.6%2B10.bb
>>
>> This was fine for my purposes, but obviously there’s tradeoffs to using someones pre-built binary. I can send a patch to add these to meta-java if it would be useful to others.
>
> Yes, please. That would be awesome! Looking forward to your patches.
>
> But please make sure the recipe works for all supported architectures,
> not only x86_64. Thanks!
>
> regards;rl

Sure, I can expand the recipe for additional architectures. A quick look at the other downloads shows they have builds for x86, x86-64, arm, aarch64, ppc64, sparcv9 and s390x. I don’t think Yocto supports sparc or s390, but accommodating the others should be straightforward. I should be able to get the time to put a patch together later this week.

Thanks,
Robert

* Re: [yocto] Adding openjdk-11 to Yocto
@ 2023-02-02  7:18         ` Richard Leitner
       [not found]           ` <174006CCF862C3D3.3213@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Richard Leitner @ 2023-02-02  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Joslyn; +Cc: yocto, dspore

On Wed, Feb 01, 2023 at 07:32:00PM -0800, Robert Joslyn wrote:

> Sure, I can expand the recipe for additional architectures. A quick look at the other downloads shows they have builds for x86, x86-64, arm, aarch64, ppc64, sparcv9 and s390x. I don’t think Yocto supports sparc or s390, but accommodating the others should be straightforward. I should be able to get the time to put a patch together later this week.

Sounds great! Looking forward to your patches.

Please ensure this mail address <dev@g0hl1n.net> in on Cc. Thanks!

regards;rl

> Thanks,
> Robert

* RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: [yocto] Adding openjdk-11 to Yocto
@ 2023-02-02 14:02           ` Spore, David
       [not found]           ` <174006CCF862C3D3.3213@lists.yoctoproject.org>
From: Spore, David @ 2023-02-02 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Leitner, Robert Joslyn; +Cc: yocto

Looking forward to the patches too.  Thanks for working on it!

David

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Parraid. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

@ 2023-03-27 13:13             ` Spore, David
From: Spore, David @ 2023-03-27 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Spore, David, Richard Leitner, Robert Joslyn; +Cc: yocto

Hello,

Just wanted to check if there has been any progress on this.

Thanks!

David

@ 2023-03-28  3:13               ` Robert Joslyn
From: Robert Joslyn @ 2023-03-28  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Spore, David; +Cc: Richard Leitner, yocto

I did send a patch back in February, but never got a response from Richard L:
https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-devel/message/100934

I’d still like to see it merged, but understand if it’s not what’s wanted in meta-java. I can certainly resend or make changes if desired.

Thanks,
Robert

@ 2023-04-04  5:41                 ` Richard Leitner
From: Richard Leitner @ 2023-04-04  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Joslyn; +Cc: Spore, David, yocto

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 08:13:38PM -0700, Robert Joslyn wrote:
> I did send a patch back in February, but never got a response from Richard L:
> https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-devel/message/100934

Sorry, I've seen the patch and the discussion on it, but I'm currently
very busy with other things. I hope I get some time for this topic
within the next 2 weeks.

I'll come back to you as soon I have done some review.

regards;rl